OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best hunting binos @ 500$

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best hunting binos @ 500$
    Posted: March/31/2014 at 21:01
Hello all I know you hear this all the time but I have to ask. I'm looking for the best pair of 10X binos for hunting situations.The most important qualities I'm looking for are clarity w/ good FOV, and a close 2nd is low light performance. I'm trying to stay in the 400-500$ range. Thanks in advance I've read tons of posts and just can't make a decision.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2014 at 22:25
Is there a good specific reason for 10X. Less field of view, More weight, harder to hold steady, less light and cost more for the same quality glass.
 Try these ZenRay
Zen-Ray 8x43 Zen ED3 Binocular
Zen-Ray 8x43 Zen ED3 Binocular
Stock # - ZENED38X43
  • Rubber Armor
  • Roof Prism
  • ED Glass
  • Second Generation VividBrite Ultra High Reflectivity Dielectric Prism Coating
$414.95
Very good for the price and will be better suited for hunting than the 10X. The slight drop in mag will provide better performance, and less eye strain when glassing for long periods.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
mightymike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 04:30
No definitive reason for 10X except that's all I've ever had and it's also what everyone I hunt with carries. That being said I've never owned a good quality pair of optics either.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 06:39
Besides the Z-R already mentioned, take a look at (or through) the Nikon Monarch 7, Leupold Hawthorne and Mojave, Hawke Sapphire, and Krueger Caldera.  Any of these will do just fine.  Also consider the 1st generation Leupold McKinley, which can sometimes be found in your price range.  They are heavy, but they would make a very good hunting bino.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 06:47
+1 Zen- Rays
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 13:09
I would take the Vortex Talons over the ZR for the superior warranty and customer service.
-Matt
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 14:04
and the Vortex Razor HD 8x42. A bit over $500. Worth the price, i believe. 
Theo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 17:29
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

and the Vortex Razor HD 8x42. A bit over $500. Worth the price, i believe. 

Razors are going for almost $1200. However, the Vipers are as you said, about $600 and very nice binos that receive high ratings.

I've owned the Vipers and for My eyes, prefer the flatter FOV and greater 3-D DOF that my Leupold BX-3 Mohave 10x42's offer. I recently spent over 3 hours glassing at Cabelas, looking at details through 10 different 10X42's (about $9K of glass), from the BX-3's all the way up to the Swaro El's. I'd pick the Swaro SLC's in a heart beat (Best Glass...Period), but not for 5X the price of the BX-3's that were 95% optical equivalent of the SLC's!

In the end, I was well pleased at how the BX-3's stood up to the overall much more expensive competition and will be using those for my upcoming hunts! Very Sharp, excellent resolution, superb ergonomics, natural color, lightweight, well balanced and great warranty. All for well under the OP's $500...my 2 cents!

Ted

Jack of Many Trades-Master of Few!
mightymike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 20:49
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I will be between the Zen Ray ED3, Vortex Talon HD, and the BX-3. Any specific differences anyone has noticed between these 3? Any of the 3 will be a significant upgrade for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 20:57
Originally posted by mightymike mightymike wrote:

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I will be between the Zen Ray ED3, Vortex Talon HD, and the BX-3. Any specific differences anyone has noticed between these 3? Any of the 3 will be a significant upgrade for me.

Again, the Vortex warranty and CS separate it from the pack, IMO.
-Matt
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 21:27

I think I will be between the Zen Ray ED3, Vortex Talon HD, and the BX-3. Any specific differences anyone has noticed between these 3?

All are very good, but my preference is the BX-3.  They are the lightest in weight, shortest in length, and despite having excellent optics, are significantly lower in price.  The color balance is more neutral than the Talon, and it's focus wheel is smoother in operation than the Talon's (in my example, at least).  For me, the BX-3 is much more pleasurable to use than the other two, especially the overly-large ED3.

One other thing to consider is the fact that all three are known for excellent customer service.  Although one can say that there is none better than Vortex, you can also say that there are some that are just as good.  Certainly Leupold is one of them. 

Theo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 21:34
Originally posted by PhilR. PhilR. wrote:

I think I will be between the Zen Ray ED3, Vortex Talon HD, and the BX-3. Any specific differences anyone has noticed between these 3?

All are very good, but my preference is the BX-3.  They are the lightest in weight, shortest in length, and despite having excellent optics, are significantly lower in price.  The color balance is more neutral than the Talon, and it's focus wheel is smoother in operation than the Talon's (in my example, at least).  For me, the BX-3 is much more pleasurable to use than the other two, especially the overly-large ED3.

One other thing to consider is the fact that all three are known for excellent customer service.  Although one can say that there is none better than Vortex, you can also say that there are some that are just as good.  Certainly Leupold is one of them. 

+1
Jack of Many Trades-Master of Few!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 10:20

Although one can say that there is none better than Vortex, you can also say that there are some that are just as good.  Certainly Leupold is one of them. 

This is not exactly true.

With a Vortex optic, if you accidently damage it in some way, Vortex would simply repair or replace it.

If you did this with a Leupold, you would receive a charge for the repair.

I can be kind of clumsy.

A few years ago, I scratched the lenses of my Leupold GR 8X32s when the covers slipped off while belly-crawling for antelope. I sent them in to Leupold for repair and paid a bill (around $120 if I remember correctly) for the fix. I found this reasonable.

I haven't damaged any of my Vortex products, but have a friend that did, and they simply replaced his binoculars, for free, in less than a week.

While Leupold has good CS, my experience is that it is not up to the level of Vortex. Of the three listed binoculars, they perform similarly enough that the Vortex CS/warranty would make the difference, for me.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 10:27
I have never been charged a single dime by Leopold even when sending a scope I bought used, damaged all by myself, explained to Leupold that I fully expected to pay for. Their response was to send a new scope complete with a zero balance owed invoice.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 11:40
That tells me that Leupold is not consistent in how they deal with customers.  Vortex seems to be pretty consistent in that regard. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 14:22
Leupold set the standard for CS, warranty work, treating the customer more than fair, etc.  Where do you think Swarovski learned it......?   Vortex learned it too obviously, but Leupold wrote the book, and still treats its customers better than they deserve 99% of the time.    
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 19:43

Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Although one can say that there is none better than Vortex, you can also say that there are some that are just as good.  Certainly Leupold is one of them. 

This is not exactly true.

With a Vortex optic, if you accidently damage it in some way, Vortex would simply repair or replace it.

If you did this with a Leupold, you would receive a charge for the repair.

I can be kind of clumsy.

A few years ago, I scratched the lenses of my Leupold GR 8X32s when the covers slipped off while belly-crawling for antelope. I sent them in to Leupold for repair and paid a bill (around $120 if I remember correctly) for the fix. I found this reasonable.

I haven't damaged any of my Vortex products, but have a friend that did, and they simply replaced his binoculars, for free, in less than a week.

While Leupold has good CS, my experience is that it is not up to the level of Vortex. Of the three listed binoculars, they perform similarly enough that the Vortex CS/warranty would make the difference, for me.

Yup -- just like on so many other internet forums -- people who just can't wait to tell others they are wrong, instead of just posting their own opinions.

The problem with Vortex, and why I won't buy a new Vortex of any type, is that they are overpriced 25-33%.   This is why they have no problems with giving people a  new one -- they earn 1/3rd the price of a new item every time they sell an item.  So yeah, if you want to pay ahead of time for a good bit of a replacement that you might not ever need, then go ahead and buy a new Vortex.  You sure won't catch me doing that.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 21:05

Yup -- just like on so many other internet forums -- people who just can't wait to tell others they are wrong, instead of just posting their own opinions.

Yeah Phil, I have been waiting for ages...

Roll Eyes

Of course, I should have posted this:

"That is not exactly true for me."

I meant no offense to you personally.

Perhaps you can help us understand why you think Leupold's Warrany/Customer Service is as good as Vortex'.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 23:06
Actually I bet all manufacturers factor in warranty and service costs in their pricing structure.  Vortex certainly is not alone.  I'm sure Leupold and Swarovski do it as well.  It think one of the big things wrong with Leica service we hear so much about is the Leica bean counters insistence their service and repair operations operate at least cost neutral.

A couple of posts got me to thinking.  Somewhere in the memory bank I remember Leupold's bean counters decreeing that warranty and service were to run at break even levels, minimum, just like Leica.  If I'm remembering this correctly Smile.  This did not sit too well in consumer land and the bean counters were over ruled.  So it is entirely likely people who got caught up in this scheme and received charges remember the negative aspects of the experience.  Leupold's current policy is the old standard" we make it we fix it" lifetime warranty.  When doing recent reviews on Leupold's Green ring series binoculars I asked about the more limited warranty printed on the product pages and packaging.  I was told that was more or less a formality, but they intended to warranty those as if they were the Gold Ring Lifetime warranty.  I remembered one other Leupold experience.  I managed to break a strap lug on a Yosemite binocular.  I called them and they said send it in, I got a new one back, no charge.

I've also used the Vortex policy at times and found it to be just as advertised.  I find it hard to quibble with either company.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 23:20
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Perhaps you can help us understand why you think Leupold's Warrany/Customer Service is as good as Vortex'.

Personal experience.  Which is what I base everything I put up here on.  Also personal experience of close friends.  And from the writings on the various forums I read, and that are from persons for whom I do not have any reason to doubt.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic