OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lightweight scope for mountain rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2014 at 15:22
touche`     I know that all too well!!

good luck and hope a Z3 pops up on The Samplelist soon!    a bit of advice.... if one does, don't mess around and miss your chance...  been down that road too Loco
take em!
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2014 at 22:12
My two favorite scopes on a lightweight Mtn rifle are the Swarovski Z3 and Sightron Big Sky. Both are light and have great glass for the money. The Z3 is slightly better optically, better eye box and has better reticles. The Sightron Big Sky has better eye relief and hydrophobic coatings (which is a big plus). It's all about price really. The Z3 is absolutely hard to beat for an all around scope. The Sightron Big Sky in my eyes is still one Of the most underated scopes that fly under the radar. The ZACT 7 coatings are superb and for the money are an absolute bargain.

I'm not a fan of Leupold (everyone's eyes are different) but it's a solid choice. If you have the money you can't go wrong with the compact Swarovski Z3. Other than the reticles the Sightron Big Sky (NOT the regular SII) is my favorite scope below $500. I like the Zeiss Conquest as well but the weight is a tad heavy compared to the others. I have compared my Big Sky's to all of my German scopes and they are right there with them for the most part. Anything North of $1000 is a different story. However, it seems that is not what you are looking for so I would highly recommend the Z3 and Big Sky! Great scopes for a light rifle....best of luck on your choice!!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 08:49
Prieto................  any update??
take em!
Crockett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crockett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2014 at 17:34
If you're building lightweight then lightweight should be the prime consideration for your scope. I have a 2.5x8 Leupold and it’s an excellent scope in every way. Keep in mind that a 4 oz difference in the weight of a scope is a ¼ pound difference! That may not sound like much but at the end of the day and when you’ve still got a mountain to climb to get back to camp, that ¼ pound will make a BIG difference! You WILL be able to feel the difference between a 6 ¼ pound rifle and a 6 ½ pound rifle!!!
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2014 at 17:48
Went with pair of finnlights one in 308 win and the other one is a 270wsm. I topped the 308 with a Z3 4-12X50 which is a charm to carry. The 270 is wearing a Z6 2-12X50 which is not the lightest scope, but for those long hikes i just carry my 308 and problem solved. Really love both rifles they both shoot great and for those low light hunts the Z6 really stands out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic