OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Cameras, Equipment and Settings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you use?
    Posted: April/04/2014 at 16:13

Currently, I am using the Nikon D7000 body with a 16 - 85 mm VR Nikor lens.

Samsung Galaxy Note ii

Photoshop

Edited by Skylar McMahon - April/07/2014 at 21:23
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 16:46
Nikon D800, several Nikkor and Zeiss lenses, a Nikon TC 1.4 teleconverter (that stays permanently attached to my Nikkor 300mm f/4 lens), a Gitzo tripod and ball head with Kirk Arca-Swiss style quick change adapter, Vello Freewave wireless remote shutter release, and a few assorted filters from Zeiss, Hoya, Nikon, and B+W. I use Adobe Lightroom 5, the NIK collection plug-in suite, and Photomatix Pro for post processing software.

Edited by RifleDude - August/01/2014 at 06:22
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 16:55
I use:

Nikon D7000 w/ 18-105 VR, 35G, 55-200 VR

Nikon V1 w/ 10-30 VR, 18.5, 30-110 VR, 6.7-13 VR, and FT-1 adapter for above DX lenses.

Sony WX-1 and W710 compacts (mostly for digiscoping)

GoPro Hero 3+ Black

iPhone 5

Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC.
-Matt
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 18:28
Bucky  I use a crayon...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 18:30
all of you have some nice equipment!  I've seen the quality of Teds Pictures...no doubt he knows how to use the stuff too!  Takes me back to my SLR High school  photog days...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2014 at 02:40
Olympus E-510 with 30mm F/1.4 Sigma prime.
Panasonic GX-1 with 14mm F/2.5 and 45-150mm F/4-5.6
Canon S95 compact
Fuji F200 compact
Nokia Lumia 1020

Photoshop Lightroom with Topaz Suite
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2014 at 23:26
I'm still hanging onto my trusty Nikon D40 with Nikor 18-200 VRII lens and SB600 flash.  I'm lusting after a D7000 but the lowly D40 still cranks out quality photos.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2014 at 23:34
RifleDude, is Lightroom 5 any better than Lightroom 3?  Those programs are expensive and I'd hate to upgrade if it is more or less the same as 3.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 09:31
Phil--
I've not used Lightroom 3, but I have used 4 and I can tell you that 5 is a slight improvement over 4.

According to photographer Scott Kelby, who wrote a good LR4 instructional book and who is noted for being an expert on Photoshop and Lightroom, LR4 is supposed to be a significant improvement over LR3. Supposedly 4 has a much better sharpening algorithm and the ability to enhance the "Clarity" function (mid-tone contrast) to a much greater degree than LR3 allowed. If that's true, then LR5 is much better than LR3.

From what I can tell, LR5 isn't a huge improvement over LR4, but has some neat tweaks. Besides some "bug fixes" that I never noticed in LR4 anyway, and support for more different camera RAW formats and lens profiles, LR5 has better controls for horizontal and vertical straightening and lens distortion correction controls than LR4 had. The basic controls, sharpening and noise reduction, etc. appear to be the same as LR4 from what I can tell.

If it were me, I would definitely upgrade from 3, as 4 is supposed to be a big improvement, with 5 a further tweak still.

However, if you had 4, unless there's some specific plug-in, RAW format, or lens correction not supported by 4, or if you ran into some bugs due to your style of processing workflow that I never saw, then 5 isn't a very significant upgrade from 4, and I might elect to wait to see what LR6 has to offer.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 14:42
Thanks Ted, very helpful.
SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2014 at 11:42
Most of my photos are taken while scuba diving.  I use an Olympus E-PL1 with either a 14-42 or 9-18 lens, in an Olympus underwater housing with 2 Inon D-2000 strobes.  I typically shoot in manual mode raw format.  I have Lightroom 4 and Photoshop Elements 9.  I like Elements much better than Lightroom, probably because I have used it more.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2014 at 12:22
Very cool, SEMO! I'd really like to see some of your diving photos, if you don't mind sharing.
Ted

sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2014 at 21:04
Nice SEMO.  Have you ever been to the Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico.  My friend dives there and he says it's amazing.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2014 at 09:08
Not into much post editing other than the basic stuff that came with several of my digitals. Right now I'm using a Panasonic FZ-60. Going to spring for a Canon G-15 or just wait for the G-17 as I hear there will be some real changes such as a full size sensor (no cropper) and a more powerful zoom, perhaps out to 200.... to better compete with the Nikon 7700/7800 series.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2014 at 09:49
Originally posted by SEMO Shooter SEMO Shooter wrote:

Most of my photos are taken while scuba diving.  I use an Olympus E-PL1 with either a 14-42 or 9-18 lens, in an Olympus underwater housing with 2 Inon D-2000 strobes.  I typically shoot in manual mode raw format.  I have Lightroom 4 and Photoshop Elements 9.  I like Elements much better than Lightroom, probably because I have used it more.

You should post them up in Hot Shots, if you don't mind sharing.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2014 at 15:21
OK I started a dive photo thread in Hot Shots.  Does anyone else have dive photos to add?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2014 at 15:27
Originally posted by sucker76 sucker76 wrote:

Nice SEMO.  Have you ever been to the Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico.  My friend dives there and he says it's amazing.

Never been to the Flower Gardens but have read much about it and would like to dive there sometime.  My ocean diving has been at Bonaire, Cozumel &  Puerto Aventuras Mexico,  Roatan Honduras, Maui, Key Largo Florida, and Grand Cayman.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2014 at 17:26
Damn, that's quite a list of beautiful spots to dive, need to someday add Belize and Palau to it.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2014 at 23:31
An opportunity came up I couldn't pass and I turned my D7000 and 18-105 into a D7100 and 18-140.  

Looking forward to that OLPF-free sharpness!
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2014 at 06:20
Cool! Let us know what you think of the D7100. Did you ever decide what tele lens you're gonna get next?
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic