OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kaps 6X42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaps 6X42
    Posted: April/06/2014 at 10:03
Has anyone ever actually handled and looked through one of these? When I try to find reviews, a common phrase is, "similar to Schmidt and Bender but less expensive." How is it similar? Same glass, same construction or just both built in Germany?

I'm a fan of fixed power scopes. I have an IOR 4X32 and a Leupold FX3 6X42, as well as some older 4X Weavers. The Karl Kaps is slightly more expensive than IOR or Leupold. Worth the extra cash?

Planning a carbine sized 9.3X62, a lever action if it can be built, and I'll want a good fixed power scope on it.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2014 at 11:53

I've owned a S&B 6x and I've had hands on with a Kaps 6x.  Similar in quality, glass is nearly identical, overall designs are somewhat different, but not radically.  I like the Kaps reticle better... a lot better.  It's been 7 years since I had my S&B, I've forgotten a lot about it. 

However, I don't remember Kaps being terribly expensive. I was thinking Kaps fixed was somewhere in the $700 range, maybe less. I think it is certainly better than the IOR. Can't say about Leupold, I don't often pay attention to them.  I just can't remember anything about a fixed Leupold which means they probably don't impress me much. 

Only reason I don't own a Kaps is they are difficult to come by and just never saw one available when I was looking.  Has a nice "feel" to it.  If I ever scope my Remington Custom Shop .458 WinMag, Kaps 6x just might be the right thing to go on it.  It is a nice scope.  I wouldn't call it an "exceptional value", but it is worth the money...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2014 at 12:17
I know where you can get'em.  There's a guy in Ventress, Louisiana that sells them on ebay. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/fhcalls/m.html?item=321371151020&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad3369aac&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Broken Image

Visit the Ed Show
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2014 at 17:27
   Thanks for the help KB. First person I know of that has actually looked through a Kaps. Ed, that's actually where I saw these at while searching 6X42. Appreciate it.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2014 at 17:52
I'm pretty sure I remember ILya saying he had been able to look at one...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2014 at 01:51
I've seen a few Kaps scopes over the years and and overall they seemed like nice designs.  The glass looked good and the scopes I have seen had comparatively small diameter, but exceptionally well optimized eyepieces which is not very common these days.

The exposed turrets on the tactical scopes left a lot to be desired and, frankly, the tactical offerings are really geared for police work in Europe.  They would need to be tweaked to do well in the US market.

Hunting scopes seemed pretty good and the fixed power ones were very well made.

I know a dealer in Slovenia who sells these.  I suppose I can ask his opinion.

Either way, they do not currently have a US importer, so I am not sure I would be willing to deal with the hassle considering how many scopes are easily available here.

I have witnessed a couple of attempts to bring Kaps scopes to the US and they were ultimately unsuccessful.  My overall impression was that since Kaps is a family owned business, they do their own thing and have no interest in the US.

Most old-style German brands like Kaps are gone with only Kaps and Nickel surviving (nickel is so outrageously priced that its existence baffles me).

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic