OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Cameras, Equipment and Settings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Whoops....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whoops....
    Posted: April/11/2014 at 10:43
and that is putting this situation lightly.

A couple weeks ago, some friends from high school and I went camping as we do every year the last weekend of March. This year was not any different with the exception of the weather, much nicer.

When we arrived, we set up and several of the guys were putting together their fly setups to start fishing for rainbows and browns near the Broken Bow reservoir. My focus at the time, ha pun intended, was getting a fire started.  Which I managed to do, using a some burnt dryer lint and magnesium block.

Later on, I was sitting on the bank going through different functions and shooting action shots of the guys casting. Because I wanted to see different exposure setting using natural light. When a small flock of Hooded Mergansers were flying very low right past me.  These are truly beautiful birds.

After talking with Ted, he had tasked me to try and use the shutter priority on my camera. This allows you to capture some really unique action shots, because it captures things moving very quickly.

So, now I'm thinking, if I managed to get in my canoe and sit in the middle of the river, I could capture these creatures flying towards me with the mountains and river view as my canvas. At the time it seemed like a brilliant idea.

However, it was not....I'm not sure what transpired, but as we were floating there, all of a sudden the canoe capsized and I was in the drink.  My adrenaline shot through the roof as the water encompassed me.

Here's the thing, normally I'm able to maintain composure in water, I'm not alien to it at all. Figuratively, I have spent my whole life in the water. In high school, many summers were spent lifeguarding at the local pool and after hours teaching swimming lessons.  But in this instance the water temperature is about 38-40 degrees Fahrenheit.  Honestly, I was more worried about my camera, because it was new to me and I was fearful that I had just lost it tragically.

I was struggling to get up, because the rocks were slick with mud and algae buildup over the years and my clothes happened to be completely soaked. Immediately I went into survival mode exploding off the bottom of the river and pushing step by step towards the bank. Once out of the water I stripped down, my buddy grabbed my sleeping bag and brought it to me while I was by the fire trying to warm up.

After U had recuperated I immediately pulled the battery from the compartment, disassembled the lens and placed my camera on the dash of my truck in the sunlight to start drying out.

Later after I got home, I put the camera in rice to continue to draw any moisture that may have subsided.

During this time, I had called Ted and explained what had happened. I was sick to my stomach over the situation but to his digressions and he advised contacting Nikon. They should be able fix the camera.

I contact Nikon and spoke to Kimberly about what had transpired and luckily it is something that can be fixed. Unfortunately not covered by the warranty, but it can be fixed.  

I cannot express how helpful, empathetic, and willing to assist me with my repair. She provided me with a form to print off and mail the lens and camera in to be prepared. And provided me with a rough ETA of how long the work would take to complete. The only thing that she was not able to provide was an estimated cost of repair. Which is understandable, sight unseen there is no way to forecast what it may be.

Nikon Camera CS is over the top. I am very pleased with how they assisted me with my repair.  

Sorry RC, thank you for explaining the difference.

Edited by Skylar McMahon - April/11/2014 at 11:24
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 10:49

Very nice picture.

You used the word "literally" wrong.  It figuratively kills me when people misuse "literally"!

I took a very nice hooded merganser this year, but a friend told me it was a trash bird, not suitable for mounting or eating, I need new friends.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 10:54
Awesome pic. Almost worth your misfortune. At least you salvaged your memory card. I've dealt with Nikon Customer Service several times about camera bodies and lenses and always been satisfied. If they cant fix it they will probably offer you a factory refurb at a great price.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 11:01
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I took a very nice hooded merganser this year, but a friend told me it was a trash bird, not suitable for mounting or eating, I need new friends.

Really?!?!?!

I would be more than happy to duck hunt with you.  Do you know how to call?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 11:03
What kind of model Nikon camera was it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 11:04
Mergansers make a beautiful mount but not a beautiful meal. They a very attractive birds.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 11:22
G it was a Nikon D7000 body with Nikkor 18-85mm ED VR lens.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 11:26
Forgot to say great pic Skylar!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 11:27
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Mergansers make a beautiful mount but not a beautiful meal. They a very attractive birds.

Next to Woody's they are one of my favorites to look at.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 18:20
Great pic! They are a beautiful bird.
Breast them out and marinate in red wine, chopped garlic and black pepper. Grill medium over an open fire and they are fine and definitely not trash.
Doug
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 18:48
Beautiful bird! I've never seen one in the wild before.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 18:49
Great Picture ! Thanks for sharing Skylar.
+1 on your duck grill,Doug. Mergansers unlike most ducks mainly eat fish.
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 18:55
Great pic Skylar!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2014 at 08:08
That is a really nice pic, Skylar!

I felt sick right alongside you when you told me this story! I hope you get your camera back soon and that the repair cost isn't too hefty! Keep us posted.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2014 at 10:37
I do have a few calls, but they seem to say "fly away" rather than "fly over here", which is problematic.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2014 at 09:53
Interesting....Hail calls can be tricky, but I have found if you can get a couple guys to work on feeding calls while one guy does a hail call, especially with drakes, you will find yourself with a busy morning.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 16:36
Well the camera arrived at Nikon today for repair.

Will keep everyone updated with their service.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2014 at 14:57
I've thought about getting a waterproof camera for similar reasons. But anything I've looked at only goes to 5X zoom. If I'm not just snapping pix with my phone it's because I want to zoom way, way in...like on a grizzly sow with cubs where you want to keep your distance.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2014 at 11:48

Yesterday Nikon updated me with the repair cost for my camera.

Total for the lens and body is about $550 and that includes freight. Should have it back within a week and ready for May's photo contest plus some actions shots of Hayden during Tee Ball season.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2014 at 20:18
Great photo!   
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic