OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6x42 Scope Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6x42 Scope Recommendations
    Posted: April/13/2014 at 11:12
Hi There,

I just picked up a Forbes Model 20B in 7-08.  Now I have to choose a scope.

I must admit I am wavering.  Don't know whether I should get a variable or fixed 6x.  The problem is this gun has a 90 degree bolt lift and tends hit or have minimal clearance with the big eye pieces that come on most variable scopes nowadays.  This has got me seriously thinking about a fixed 6x.  What would be your thoughts?  I live in Alberta, Canada and most of my hunting is on mixed farmland.  My shots never exceed 400 yards.  I'm old-school and think its unethical, and that if I can't get closer, I'm not that great of a hunter.  My concern with a fixed 6x is having too much scope for when an animal comes running across a cutline quickly at close range, and I don't want a 4x.

Help me decide, friends.

Currently, I am leaning toward a FX3 6x42, but am wide open to suggestions.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2014 at 12:43
First, what's your budget for this scope?

Excellent choice in rifle and chambering, by the way!!!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
sns2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2014 at 13:03
$1000 tops. Doubt I will need that though for a fixed 6
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2014 at 13:58
I've got a 7-08 and love it.  I've had both a fixed 6x (FX3 6x42 which is superb), and a VX3 2.5-8x36 on it as well, and it currently wears the variable.  I never had any trouble killing stuff from 15 yards out to 300 or so, which is the longest shot I've tried so far to try and kill something.  The FX3 is one of the brighter scopes around, with several nice reticle options, but I've found my 53 yr old eyes prefer variables nowadays that offer a bit more magnification.  Either one will get you well past legal shooting light, and the VX3 allows you to mount the scope very low, with less bulk than some others.  Good luck, and enjoy the great choice in caliber. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2014 at 14:12
Leupold 6x42 long range duplex should work for you.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2014 at 19:25
I have the Leupold FX3 6X42 on a CZ550 in 9.3X62. That scope came from the Leupold custom shop so I had to pay a little extra but they built it exactly like I wanted. It's gloss and has a #4 reticle. They built me a cds dial for my 9.3 handload as well. It's dead on at 100 and 300 yds, so I assume it's accurate throughout that range.

On this same forum, lower down, I recently asked these fine folks about the Kaps 6X42. You'll have to look for those. Your other options in fixed power 6X scopes would be IOR and Schmidt and Bender. There are probably some others too. The IOR uses a stell tube but has nice glass. I have one of those in 4X. I don't dislike it but probably wouldn't buy another one. It's too heavy for what it is. The Schmidt and Benders I don't know much about.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2014 at 21:35

Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

I have the Leupold FX3 6X42 on a CZ550 in 9.3X62. That scope came from the Leupold custom shop so I had to pay a little extra but they built it exactly like I wanted. It's gloss and has a #4 reticle. They built me a cds dial for my 9.3 handload as well. It's dead on at 100 and 300 yds, so I assume it's accurate throughout that range.

On this same forum, lower down, I recently asked these fine folks about the Kaps 6X42. You'll have to look for those. Your other options in fixed power 6X scopes would be IOR and Schmidt and Bender. There are probably some others too. The IOR uses a stell tube but has nice glass. I have one of those in 4X. I don't dislike it but probably wouldn't buy another one. It's too heavy for what it is. The Schmidt and Benders I don't know much about.

The Schmidt and Bender 6x is a superb scope.  It is S&B at its best... you pay for the S&B name... and to be fair, I never found it to be lacking in anything.  I sold mine to a guy who wanted it more than I did.  I find 6x a little much for some of the stalk hunting I do... useable, but not "easy".  I'm a simple guy.... I like easy for the most part...don't mind putting some time into something before I get to the field, but once in the field I want everything to be "easy"...  Close range with 6x is not "easy"... at least not for me.   I sometimes jump deer in pretty heavy brush at 10 feet... 6x is tough at that kind of range... quite often don't get a shot.  If you guarantee yourself 50 yards, heck, even 25 yards... go for it. 

I loved my S&B... it was just the least useful of the scopes I had at the time and the most expensive for the application.  I've, a number of times, wished I had it back...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2014 at 06:23
If you can find one, and I know they can be tough to find, a Swarovski PH 6x42 is my favorite 6x scope.  Sold my two Leupold FX3 6x42s because I like the Swarovski better.  Doesn't have the same eye relief, but the image is fantastic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic