OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sako 85 Hunter Scope Rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sako 85 Hunter Scope Rings
    Posted: June/21/2014 at 15:51
Finally picked up a Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 for my Sako 85 Hunter.  I've read a few places where some people are less than thrilled with the Sako Optilock rings.  What are some alternatives?  It's a great scope, so I obviously want the best ring mounts.

And if I am reading the chart on Sako's web site correctly, it looks like I can use extra low rings with 50mm.

Appreciate any help or comments.  Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2014 at 16:25
I hate Opti Locs. 

Have you considered Talley rings? Not sure if the Lightweights are made for the M85, but the fixed rings are. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2014 at 16:37
I believe Talley was recommended when I was reading about the Optilocks months ago.  I got the rifle last December and I've been scope shopping for six months.  I'll call SWFA to find out specifically which Talley rings and bases I need for this rifle and scope combination.

Thanks
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2014 at 16:52
Done!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2014 at 18:37
Your scope is a 30mm tube, I believe. With a 50mm objective and Talley Light Weight rings, you could get by with medium height. 

Calling SWFA is an excellent option, but you could also call Talley directly and speak with them. They are very nice folks and can probably give you a few different options. I have a set of fixed Talley rings laying around for my old Sako M75. They worked brilliantly. 

At any rate, anything Talley offers, will be better than the dang 'ol Opti's. Wink 

What caliber is the Sako?   

manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2014 at 21:02
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

What caliber is the Sako?
It's a 270 Winchester.  I want to try my hand at target shooting at some longer ranges.  So far, I've never done more than 100 yards which is all they have at my club.  I know the 270 is not the most respected cartridge for long range shooting, but I'll be starting with a range that has 300 yards and it should be fine for this.  My cousin does a lot of reloading has all of the equipment, and there are match grade 270 bullets available.  Some might think the Z6 is overkill, but it was a good deal price wise.  And a good scope can always be moved to a better rifle.  I am a south paw, and there's a beautiful left handed Sako 300 Win Mag on GB I am drooling over.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2014 at 11:55
Unfortunately, you don't have a wealth of mount choices for the Sako 85.

I too am a card-carrying Opti-Lok hater. The original Opti-Loks with the separate bases suck! The bases are way too thick, their mounts are way too high, with the "medium" rings being too high for all but 56mm objective scopes, they use an idiotic clamping system, they are too chunky and heavy, and the screws they use are soft and easily stripped. On top of all that, they're pretty expensive. I always thought it was monumentally stupid to design a mount system that uses a separate base, when the integral, tapered dovetails already on the Sako receiver negates the need for a base. Ringmounts can and should attach directly to it, otherwise, why incorporate integral dovetail grooves on the top of the receiver to begin with?

I do like the OL "ringmount" from what I can tell in photos. They seem to address all of my concerns with the "base + rings" version, and they have a "low" version that looks to be ideal for 42mm scopes. They include the self-aligning, floating ring inserts, which I like. I hope they use a better grade of cap screws, but if they don't, I can easily get replacement screws. When I was considering mounts for my Sako 75 years ago, the "ringmount" version wasn't offered in the US yet, so all you could get was the OL system with separate bases and rings. Otherwise, I would have bought the OL ringmounts. Soon after I got the OLs, I replaced them with Talleys.

I do like the Talleys, but keep in mind you only have one option with Talley, and it involves a separate base/ring system. At least it's a better, much lower profile base, however. Their base allows the use of any of their fixed or QD steel rings. They don't offer an integral base/ring mount solution for Sako like their LW mounts.

Other options --

Warne offered a ringmount design for Sako, but I believe they discontinued it. You might call and confirm status.

Leupold offers a decent ringmount that works fine.

Burris did offer mounts for Sakos at one time. Not sure if they still do or not.

Conetrol offers their "DapTar" bases for Sako, which use their standard projectionless rings. It's a sleek looking system.

I would go with either Talley or the new style OL ringmounts if it were me.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2014 at 13:43
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I do like the OL "ringmount" from what I can tell in photos. They seem to address all of my concerns with the "base + rings" version, and they have a "low" version that looks to be ideal for 42mm scopes. They include the self-aligning, floating ring inserts, which I like. I hope they use a better grade of cap screws, but if they don't, I can easily get replacement screws. When I was considering mounts for my Sako 75 years ago, the "ringmount" version wasn't offered in the US yet, so all you could get was the OL system with separate bases and rings.
I see what you mean.  I was looking at the Sako rings and bases, but missed the OL ring mount page.  You speak of a "low" version, but it appears they are only offered in one size for either one inch or 30mm tube.  I'm not sure I like the "one size fits all" approach.  It obviously limits scope choices, and it limits how close you can get the objective lens to the barrel, but I guess it should be fine for 50mm.  I am of the understanding that when mounting a scope, you want the objective lens as close to the barrel as possible, but I'm not sure how critical this is.  And the "self-adjusting" ring inserts mean no lapping required.  hmmm...
Thanks for a wealth of information.  This is a really great forum.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2014 at 14:21
I have had a set of Opti Locks on my Tikka 695 7Mag for 15 years without any problems.  It is tough as nails and the plastic inserts really hold the scope stationary and will leave no marks on the tube. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2014 at 19:10
I forgot about the Leupold ring mounts, Rifledude mentioned. They worked really well for me with a .300 WM M75.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2014 at 07:39
My 75 wears Talley's and they have been great. I did try the Warne's, but they did not work (would not tighten on the dovetail). I called Warne and they said it was a tolerance issue and I was basically SOL. The only thing I liked about the original OL's were the plastic inserts.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2014 at 10:22
Just ordered the Sako OL Ring Mounts.  Talked to Beretta and they said I would have no problem returning them if I am not satisfied.  They said a return shipping label is included.  They also said a lot of people don't use them because they are limited to only one size, but should be fine with 50mm.  We shall see.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2014 at 13:15
Best of luck. Maybe you'll like them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic