OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2014 Spring Turkey Season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2014 Spring Turkey Season
    Posted: July/06/2014 at 22:58
I had a turkey season to be remembered, and I wanted to share how special it was.  I was fortunate to take three trips this year.

1. Early April - Sonora, Texas - Rio Grande

I went hunting with my father and a great friend of mine with whom I have hunted birds for many years.  Both of them harvested their first turkeys!  Here is a picture of me and my father with birds we harvested on the same morning hunt.  Proud of my pop!  All three of us bagged two gobblers that weekend.

2. Early April - Sonora, Texas - Rio Grande (Youth Weekend)

Given my success in April, I convinced my wife to let me take my sons back to the same ranch on youth weekend to try for their first gobblers.  Given the long range visibility of West Texas, we opted for ground blinds.  My 10 year-old took his very first gobbler Saturday morning about 10:00.  It was a 2 year-old long beard. You couldn't wipe the smile off his face!

The next morning, I told him we would just sneak out a listen to the gobblers on the roost and learn some things from watching turkeys.  I almost didn't even take a gun since we needed to head home around lunch.  Lucky I did.  I told him that we'd only shoot a monster bird if we came across one.  

In many years of turkey hunting, I've never shot a bird this big.  He was a huge 4 year-old with 5 BEARDS.  I told him that he should quit hunting right now!  For his birthday present, I had it mounted for him in full strut.

3. Late May - Broken Bow, Nebraska - Merriam's and Rio Grande

My son enjoyed his hunt so much that I gave him a choice between having a birthday party or going to Nebraska and try for a different species of turkey.  Lise a wise youngster, he chose another hunt!  He had two opportunities at nice Merriam's gobblers, but the spot and stalk in the Nebraska sand hills on a wary bird was a bit too much for him at 10.  I give him props though!

My father joined us, and he was lucky enough to take this nice Merriam's.  It's probably the coolest 3-generation picture I've ever been in.

On the last day of the hunt, I connected with this 4 year-old Rio that is perhaps the most beautiful turkey I've ever shot.  The color on him was unbelievably deep and brown.

Can't wait until spring 2015.  Definitely my favorite species to hunt.

REMF

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2014 at 23:40
Wow, you guys had a turkey season of a lifetime!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic