OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SWFA 3-15x scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New SWFA 3-15x scope
    Posted: July/09/2014 at 21:56
Arrived yesterday.  Looking forward to making head-to-head comparisons with my Weaver Tactical 3-15x50.  I want to take some time and compare them over the next month or three.

Initial thoughts on this SS are generally favorable.  Scope seems to have better control of chromatic aberration than the Weaver.  Image doesn't seem quite as bright; doesn't seem to have quite the 'pop' of the Weaver.  Not sure whether that's purely the objective lens size difference, or a lens coating or system difference.  Neither is better or worse to me at this point, they're just a little different.  I'm struggling a bit with the adjustment mechanisms on the SWFA.  Hopefully they'll improve with use.  Reticle is a bit better than I'd expected from pictures.  We'll see how things go in upcoming shoots.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2014 at 08:00
Looking forward to your assessment.  I have both as well and am pleased with each.  I like the Weaver's knobs compared to the SWFA, but found that the SWFA 3-15X had a slight edge on a crisper picture when cranked up to 15X.

Both are excellent scopes.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2014 at 07:52
+1
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2014 at 09:18
How close in can you focus the Weaver? One thing I like about the SS is the 6m low end makes indoor dry fire practice easier.
Reaction time is a factor...
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2014 at 23:38
No idea, jonoMT.  That's not something I have a use for or care about in this class of scope.  The Weaver is _marked_ down to 35 yards, but that's not necessarily meaningful.  When I was mounting the SWFA, it didn't want to focus too well on something ~10 yards away, so I'm not sure whether that 6m marking is terribly meaningful, either.  Maybe I can find something to try them both on this weekend.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2014 at 15:27
Here's the SS 3-15 exactly 7 yards from the door in the picture. Not everybody needs this feature, but it is handy and so is dry-firing practice...and for leveling a scope:

MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2014 at 15:48
Nice pic.
Too busy loading and prepping for transport this past weekend.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2014 at 20:02
Nice Laser

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2014 at 14:27
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Nice Laser

No doubt.  What is it?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2014 at 14:50
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 11:02
How is the comparison test going?. I have that same laser at work. Never thot about using it to level the scope. Makes good sense.
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 19:08
Here is a thread with notes from 2 different shooters on this scope vs the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 illuminated (800363):

http://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-rifle-cartridges/92781-308s-mile-almost-equipment-notes.html

To add to that thread--
The Weaver's adjustments are better, plain and simple. The SWFA's reticle is better in some ways, but it surely does take up a lot of the field of view, at higher mag. It's nice to have 10 mils of vertical holdover when playing around like we were in the above thread. Plusses and minuses.

I think I mentioned CA, above. I did not notice it through the HEAVY mirage this week. Under other circumstances, the Weaver exhibits it, but I'm not really seeing it on the SWFA.

Overall, I prefer the Weaver optically, despite the CA, but both are very good scopes.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2014 at 14:13
Thanks for the review MZ5 . Looks like you and Darker had a good time. How do you like the illumination in the Weaver? . Anywhere that I can find the tech specs for the Weaver. What scope do you have on your Creed. ?
You are being watched.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2014 at 14:29
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/lasers--instruments-self-leveling-line-lasers-dw087k.aspx

I mostly use it for construction/remodeling projects.

Boy, these babies have come a long way. We used to set grade for concrete pours with a transit and string lines. Automatic leveling feature standard mostly NOW too. Nice. I always liked Dewalt products.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2014 at 14:55
Yup. They are sweet. I've mostly used them to establish plumb for stick framing in steel buildings. Kinda hard to get 20' up in an open building to know where to terminate a bottom plate if using a plumb bob and string. With the laser just turn it on and make sure it self leveled. . Great for.lots.of stuff like hanging kitchen cabinets.

I wonder how much greater light gathering the Weaver would be compared to the SWFA 3-15 ?
And if it will work in the cold like the SWFA ?
You are being watched.
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2014 at 17:33
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger Cold Trigger Finger wrote:

Thanks for the review MZ5 . Looks like you and Darker had a good time. How do you like the illumination in the Weaver? . Anywhere that I can find the tech specs for the Weaver. What scope do you have on your Creed. ?

I like the illumination in the Weaver for low light against dark backgrounds.  I have never thought I needed more than the minimum illum, unless it was super-bright out but I was shooting against/into something almost totally black.

The Creedmoor wears the Weaver now.
Mike 338 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike 338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2016 at 00:09
First post. 

I like the 3x15 MQ ffp but in many practical hunting situations, low power reticle visibility is questionable at best so I've sorta moved away from SS scopes for hunting.  To bad cause they are so great in other ways.  I have a SS 5x20 illuminated one rig but it's overkill.  The lean lines of the 3x15 and the magnification range suit me well.  There's so much to like about these scopes that I keep waiting for an offering that would work a little better for lower light/short-mid range and long range both. 

I saw the 3x15 MQ sfp on sale.  I figured the sfp would be perfect for hunting.  I was looking forward to having a well defined reticle throughout the entire range of magnification so I ordered one.  Well, I just mounted it up.  It takes some time behind a scope to see if first impressions pan out but I couldn't help but notice that the open aim point in the center with the dot is hard to see.  Fact is, the dot is invisible against a dark surface or in low light.  That leaves a fairly good space in the middle without a defined aim point.  I guess I'll get it out in the field and try to put it on some hair and dark rocks in low light to see how it is but I'm thinking that particular reticle might be better suited for punching paper on a much higher magnification scope (25x or 30x) for long range.  You never know... could end up being my favorite scope but looking through it from the garage, it isn't inspiring confidence as a good field scope. 

Any other experience with one?  
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2016 at 09:01
Non-illuminated FFP reticles are seldom good for low light work, it is just a limitation of the way the reticle has to work.  The broader the zoom range, the worse it is at top or bottom.

If your priority is low light, look at an illuminated reticle.  

Are you doping the reticle or the turret?  Please explain how using in a practical sense and we can help with recommendations that fit best.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2016 at 12:03
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/lasers--instruments-self-leveling-line-lasers-dw087k.aspx

I mostly use it for construction/remodeling projects.

Boy, these babies have come a long way. We used to set grade for concrete pours with a transit and string lines. Automatic leveling feature standard mostly NOW too. Nice. I always liked Dewalt products.  

They are the best. I have gotten to where I will not buy anything else. When something goes out or breaks, I just save up a little more and buy black and yellow (DeWalt).
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2016 at 10:18
Good thing you only need a little to buy Black and Yellow. BUT.... if you save up alot, you can buy Red and White! The awesome thing about that is you will never need to return it, and its a forever purchase!

But to be fair, i happen to own the laser featured here. I use it for everything. I even use it on the pool table for shot setups, tangent line bending ect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic