OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

56 MM Meopta R1 ill and R2 ill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 56 MM Meopta R1 ill and R2 ill
    Posted: July/16/2014 at 21:55

Read a number of comments on the forum about the R2. Has anyone compared both these scopes and, if so, is the R2 a noticeable improvement in clarity, contrast and resolution over the R1 or are the differences small, incremental enhancements?  Bottom line question:  Can you see and shoot later with the R2 than with the R1 by 5 or more minutes? Currently own an R1 ill. Trying to determine if the R2 advantages justify the investment or would I be just a well off sticking with the R1 already in use. Any comments appreciated. Do some of my hunting on very small green fields located in very deep, wooded hollows completely surrounded by tall pine timber that cast heavy shadows across the fields. Can get really dark in there toward the end of legal shooting hours.

Outrider
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 14:40
It sounds like it can be very dark even in the day time. I shoot at one place that is similar to hunting ground. My biggest problem is the fireing line has a break in the canopy and light reflects off my face into the scope and onto the reticle training it (the cross hairs) gold in color. Tough shooting conditions like this do bring out the finer qualities of superior optics. Wish I could help with the two choices you mentioned but have not had the joy of seeing them.

Note: no alpha rifle scopes just some decent mid-range stuff but I do have an alpha spotter.
M48scout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M48scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2014 at 10:09
I am interested in this exact information if anyone can provide info. In fact if anyone just has a field review of a 56mm R2 in comparison to others in its class that would help.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2014 at 12:18
I have the R2 and can compare it to the vortex PST if you would like.
-Matt
M48scout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M48scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2014 at 13:35
That would be great!

- does it maintain clarity at high mag
- brightness and contrast under very low light conditions
- eye sensitivity/comfort/ease of image acquisition
- any comments you might have relative to "top" high brightness scopes
M48scout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M48scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2014 at 14:04
Also - does the IR turn down to suffiently low brightness under last couple minutes of light type conditions, and is the dot crisp versus fuzzy/light bleed.

Thanks for your time answering these. You're the first person that I know of who has posted that they have an actual R2 product from a store. Should be interesting!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2014 at 12:28
It will be a few days, but I will let you know.
-Matt
M48scout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M48scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2014 at 15:40
Thanks! Will be looking forward to it
M48scout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M48scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2014 at 18:20
I have an opportunity to trade in one of my scopes toward credit on an R2 tomorrow during lunch. Since I'm about to pull the trigger any info will help. Especially if you indicate it's a no-go!! Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2014 at 18:34
Sorry, I have been busy at work this week.  I will see what I can check out tonight.  
-Matt
M48scout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M48scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2014 at 20:39
That would be great. Thankyou

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2014 at 23:28
OK,

The quick and dirty, and I reserve the right to change my mind with real use but here goes some VERY initial impressions:

Optics are very Meopta-esque.  That is it is very similar to the R1 series in that it has very high levels of resolution and outstanding contrast.  CA is well controlled for a riflescope, but purple fringing is visible at higher powers.  From bottom to top, the resolution extends towards the very edge of the field.  There is a small amount of barrel distortion at 2.5 and gradually turns to pincushion towards the high end.  In low light, it was apparent that transmission was a design goal.  This scope does very well here.

Adjustments are set-it-and-forget-it style.  low profile with very firm clicks.  Not optimum for in-the-field adjustments.  I have not tested accuracy or reliability.

Illumination levels are very nice with several daylight visible levels, and the lowest setting only visible in near-darkness.  there is some very mild bleed coming from the dot in extreme low light that is visible at high settings, but goes away completely by the lowest setting.  In the dark, there is some illumination glare at the edge of the field at the top couple illumination settings, but I can't figure out why anyone would set it that high in those lighting conditions.  The dot is a little on the thick side for precision target use, but looked good for hunting.  The SFP 4C posts are very thick and quick to get on target. 

There is a lot of mounting space on the eyepiece side of the turret housing, but it is tight on the objective side.

A pretty nice package overall so far.  Fit and finish is impeccable, and the scope felt lighter than I was expecting.

Hope that helps. 
-Matt
M48scout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M48scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2014 at 11:05
Thanks for taking the time to provide that info!!
M48scout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M48scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2014 at 12:28
Yikes - took the plunge. Should arrive in a few days. We shall see - I'm pretty excited as this will be my first really high end scope.
Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2014 at 16:58
M48: Once arrived, mounted and tested, would appreciate your feedback as well.
Outrider
M48scout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M48scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2014 at 17:56
Will do. Can't wait to send some 7 mag down range at dusk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic