OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Hot Shots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Night Skyline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Night Skyline
    Posted: July/20/2014 at 01:46

Edited by Skylar McMahon - July/25/2014 at 16:04
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2014 at 09:46
You're getting there!

If I may offer some constructive tips...
It looks as if your second shot is out of focus except for the arch. On a shot like that, at the distance your subject is, you're going to be focusing at or near infinity. It looks as if you still had it in auto focus and your camera was hunting to focus on something closer in the foreground. Either that, or you had too wide an aperture and were focusing on the arch. I don't know how far away the arch was, but more than likely, it was far enough away that had you focused at infinity, it would've still been in acceptable focus. Assuming a steady tripod without the wind blowing your camera around and remote release, the whole scene would be in sharp focus at infinity focus. Remember our discussion about hyperfocal distance and how to use the depth of field calculator app on your phone. For these night shots, turn off autofocus and manually focus, if you didn't already. Make sure you're in manual mode. For a distant shot like this, with something closer in the foreground (the arch), set your aperture to f/8 - f/11 at ISO 100 to maybe 400 at the most, which of course means a very slow shutter speed.

Finally, the power lines really detract from the subject. If you're not able to get in front of the power lines, I would clone them out in post. It's very easy to do in the blank sky area, and much more difficult and time-consuming to do against the arch with all the cables coming off it, but eliminating the power lines would greatly improve the shot.

You're making progress on your night shots! Just keep at it!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2014 at 11:18
Thanks bro.

There were a number of shots taken. The second one is one that Hayden took. I explained to him to look through the view finder, then depress the button on the remote.

I think he may have bumped the tripod as he stepped away while the exposure was taking place.

I recalled what you shared for long exposure previously. The first shot was very dim. This was shot in aperture priority and did not sustain the visual appeal I was hoping to capture. Then I remembered shooting long exposure featured more light. So I changed to manual, iso 100, 8sec shutter, manual focus, which is very tricky at night ill add, I want to say it was set at F stop 8. I will need to double check the settings.

I liked how vibrant the second one became. ill post more when I get to a computer.

Edited by Skylar McMahon - July/22/2014 at 13:25
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2014 at 13:26
I completely forgot to resize those images. Last two are huge. Sorry guys.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2014 at 22:08
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

I'll buy a canvas of either bridge shot, Nice job! Pm me if your interested.

Enough is to much.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2014 at 11:30
Thanks REP.

I'm just a beginner, however, one of my best friends, had contributed a generous amount of knowledge and feedback on my images prior and while posting them. Glad to hear that they are appealing.

Thanks Again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic