OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 3-15 problems??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA 3-15 problems??
    Posted: August/08/2014 at 09:49
Just a question, On the Hide there is a thread about this scope having issues? I was a first for me, I just obtained one of these NIB second hand and was reading up on it, but there were 4 guys in the same thread with the exact same failure? I know SWFA will take care of whatever, that is not the question, I was just wondering if something was not assembled correctly in a batch of them and they fell through the cracks? Any observations?

Something Witty.....
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2014 at 10:30
The post is interesting, but as others have said on thread, not something they are aware of.  SWFA will make things right for the folks that have had issues.

I purchased by SWFA 3-15X shortly after they came out.  Scope has bounced around from long range ARs, LR-308, 260 and 308 Bolt rifles, 22 LR and even a 375 H&H rifle.  Scope has over 1000 rounds under its belt and about the same number of miles bouncing around in the back of a vehicle or getting banged around in the mountains.

Not as pretty as it once was, but never had an issue with the scope.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2014 at 11:05
Yea, I wondered when it would come up over here.

I posted on it, obviously it is an issue when a scope fails, but I don't think there is a design or manufacturing flaw in the scope itself (as there was several years ago with an IOR 3-18 model, where almost all failed in time), maybe it was a bad batch, maybe a guy on the line decided he didn't want to build scopes that day, he'd rather be a dancer.

As I said there, SWFA will make it right.  My 3-15 has run strong, no issues.

Someone from SWFA will chime in soon.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Bender1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2014 at 13:09
Ya, I know it is not a design feature at all, too many good ones, only logical explanation is some dude dreaming of wearing a tutu and tights..... I have NO fear in SWFA. 
Something Witty.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2014 at 11:09
The situation seems to have been resolved, at least for the guy that started the thread on the hide.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2014 at 18:06

When I first saw the returned scopes in person I was very concerned as to how this (complete failure) could have happened after we had done so much on the R&D side prior to production.  And considering that we thoroughly worked-over pre-production prototypes and even sent them all over the country for others to put them to work.  We had over 20 years of production data from the bullet proof fixed powers to lean on, so I was surprised to say the least. 

We dissected them and the results made me sick to my stomach because the issue was due to an eleventh hour change to the scope that we made based on study group comments.  If you hold the scope too close to your eye not aligning the final focal point (the exit pupil) to properly align with your eye you can see inside the scope.  In this case you could see three screw heads.  I know that if you ask someone to critique something they will do strange things in an attempt to find something to criticize and we typically take most comments with a grain of salt.  In this case after being in the optical retail business my entire life I have experienced a large amount of complaints and returns that all start out like this, "If you hold the scope upside and backwards you can see _________."  People do it to spotters, binoculars, range finders and scopes.

Being proactive we addressed the visible screws with a simple trim ring that would be placed between the end of the ocular and the screw.  This was easy to do and would not add much to the cost.  The solution would simply be set in place with an adhesive.  It appears that not enough adhesive was used in the scopes that we dissected when compared to other scopes off our shelves.

Just like we have done for over twenty years with any issues that arise, we address it in a manner that assures our customers that it will not happen again.  In this case we stopped production and froze our inventory immediately.  We designed a new beauty ring two weeks ago and have already started producing them to be used when production starts back up this week.  Replacement parts will be sent to the U.S. for our existing inventory.

What appeared to be a catastrophic lens failure turns out to be a non-essential part that we added at the last minute.  I've instructed our customer service department to immediately next day air a replacement and a call tag for any customers that contact us with this problem in an effort to minimize their inconvenience.

Edited by Brady - September/15/2014 at 18:27
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2014 at 19:43
THAT is the kind of outstanding response and service we have all come to expect from SWFA.  Things happen… it's the response that truly matters.  

Outstanding Chris and SWFA… 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2014 at 20:26
Interesting!

Murphy's Law dictates that it's frequently the most insignificant, mundane details of a design that can bite you, and in ways you never envisioned.

Glad it was an easy fix!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2014 at 13:35
This is a great example of why beauty is over-rated.

Except in women.

Scopes should not have "beauty" anything, in my humblest of opinions.
AllenB View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllenB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 15:14
Do you have any idea when SWFA will begin shipping this scope again.
I was just notified the one I just ordered was on back order. I'd guess this is the reason why.
Thanks
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 15:26
Today and next week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic