OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Old Nikon Info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Nikon Info
    Posted: August/13/2014 at 07:50
I recently purchased an older Nikon scope. 3X9 gloss black with red and silver band around the objective. I think it's from the mid 80's. It is marked Japan. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2014 at 22:53
It sounds as though you have bought one of the Nikon scopes that came out about 1985.  They are good scopes and were made in one of the Nikon Japan factories.  I always liked them better and thought that they were superior optically to any thing that Nikon built in the Philippines during the 1990's until recently.
CDR3
zoonia View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 08:07

Thanks I believe you're correct. I tried talking to Nikon , but they recycle serial numbers and it came up as a Monarch. It's a nice scope, I'm just not crazy about the gloss finish. Any idea what it's worth? Thanks again

Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 21:08
I would pay about the same price as for a Leupold VXII from the same era around $200, depending on condition.
CDR3
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2014 at 16:22
I've got a 4 X 40 just like that.  Circa 1985...before they put the little gold Nikon plaque on the side.  In 1985 they got superior reviews.  I don't know what they are worth...what is a thirty year old scope worth?  I got mine on a used rifle.  I'm gonna keep it.   
Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2014 at 16:32
We have two Nikon Monarch's, 4X40 on Rem. 1100 light 20 slug guns both were made in Japan. We represented Nikon at the time. My honey's slug gun has a wood stock and mine is a later model with a synthetic stock and dull finish, can't remember what they called it at the time. Both have Da-Mar mounts and both have had the barrels pinned. Both group very well. Both have had a pile of slugs thru them.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2014 at 17:09
Forgot to say a very old friend ( meaning older than me ) patented the Da-Mar Mount. Unique in the early slug gun scope mount era. This was long before rifle hunting was allowed in the Southern Zone of NY State and well before " slug guns"
we're being offered as a commercial item.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic