OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR-10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR-10
    Posted: August/21/2014 at 18:01
If you could build your own for around $1500-1800 w/o optic, what parts would you use and why?
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 09:15
door kicker, or long range  --- lots of difference
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 09:17

have to comment on your saying by Forest Gump

from the Duck Dynasty

"If you don't know what your doing-- Do it Fast."

Yogi Bera

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 09:59
More details needed!

What range, bench or field?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 14:57
5-600 yards max. I don't have the mindset of any AR being a surgical tool. I do expect accuracy out of them. My primary use would be with shoot house/outdoor scenario shooting style, or the occasional feral hog/coyote control. I'm very capable with on in my hands, but it seems that there are now a bazillion people making parts and wanted to see if anyone besides your normal Daniel Defense, Noveski, RRA, Colt have any edges over some of the better more expensive guys like Noveski. I already know my optic, just talking about the weapon itself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 22:47

What optic are you thinking? No suppressed fire?

One comment: AR15 is generic - or rather "standardized", 308 ARs are not. (Technically, AR10 is an armalite designation, so no one else makes an AR10.) There are multiple patterns and they do not mix and match the way ar15s do.

There are very good guns, there are very good parts, and there are "okay" of both. If this isn't to be a heavy use gun, okay should be good enough. In that scenario, Rock River makes a thoroughly decent rifle. For your budget, you should be able to find what works. It will be reasonable accurate to stated ranges and should do nicely for hogs and yotes.

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 23:12
The Dude Abides.

One of my buddies had the RR LAR-8, and he swore that he wouldn't own another one. Maybe his personal preference. I have heard their quality from a few different people has gone downhill somewhat. I wouldn't say that obviously having no experience with them. I have also read that it's hard to beat a Noveski upper. I would also believe that there is other manufacturers that can do a nice upper piston driven with a chromoly lined barrel. And a
chrome BCG would be sweet. And to answer your question kind sir would be the 512 EOTech.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2014 at 11:01

Another note: 308 ARs take some time and love to break in, not enough lube and they run like crap. There is MUCH to break-in, and your buddy might not have expected that. It is entirely possible he got a lemon, sorry to hear if he did.

Armalite makes a good 308, as does POF. I am not familiar with a Noveski 308, but if they make one, it will be top shelf.

My go-to 308 piston is a Sig 716, it needed some love and a few mods to meet my needs, but runs nicely now.

Another option, rather than build a gun that is "close" is to buy the parts you want and build exactly what you want. I have done this a few times, and with good results.

For an EoTech and 600 yards, get a 16-inch barrel.

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2014 at 12:12
Thanks man for the replies. I was truly wanting to buy a FN SCAR-H 17, having shot a L on a few occasions, but just can't justify that price. And I agree with you on the barrel length. 16 will give me enough to shoot out to 6, but ideal for most targets from 75-300. I just wished the U.S Army would go with something different than the Colts we are using now. I feel there is better for what they pay for it. But we are talking about the same people that picked a Beretta 92 over a P226.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2014 at 13:00
Originally posted by LRSMike LRSMike wrote:

But we are talking about the same people that picked a Beretta 92 over a.....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2014 at 13:07
That was also a dumb move to replace the quintessential Colt 1911. I'm with you on that.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2014 at 15:43
collapsible stock or magpul precision type?
Yogi Bera

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2014 at 17:27
Collapsible buttstock. One like the Magpul ACS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2014 at 20:16

DI guns have a very different recoil impulse than do piston guns. If you like the SCAR, you might not like the ar10 types.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2014 at 12:05
One other thing worth mention if you go with Armalite there are two different ones the older ones do not use the new PMags but the new ones do use the new PMags.  I wish I could afford a La Rue OBR but that is out of your price range too. Im pretty happy with M1a rifles including the SOCOM as they are a proven battle rifle and the FNAR is well spoken of by a friend who is knowledgable. I've had some DPMS  .308s and they seem to do best with heavy bullets where the M1a does not like the heavy bullets and one can bend an Op Rod with them.   http://nemoarms.com/  is worth a look.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2014 at 21:26
I've found the SIG716 FDE provides me with a lot of the features that I would prefer, haven't had a chance to hold one yet, but come in about 9 1/2 lbs without optic. About the only two complaints I've come across is the trigger(no surprise) and the recoil(MB or upgraded buffer spring) has anyone here had any experiences with this particular rifle? I know it's piston, which I like, it has a 4 position gas regulator, free floating quad rail, and it actually has the QD attachment points milled into the lower.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2014 at 09:11
As stated above, I have that rifle, 16" barrel version, very handy, accurate enough.  The trigger sucks, hard, and I did swap the recoil buffer for a hydraulic version - to slow the cycle speed.  Mine runs suppressed most of the time.

If you get one, lube the bolt good for break-in.  When you think you have lubed the bolt too much, you almost have enough!  The older 716s are known to have out-of-the-box reliability issues, my guess is people new to 308 ARs and tried to run the bolt dry.

It is a good gun, it has many very nice features (QDs in the lower and on the rail are nice, as well as ambi controls out of the box), and the mags are easy to find.

Mine got a new Geissele trigger, KNS pin set, buffer, and some rattle-can camo.

LUBE THE BOLT!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2014 at 10:48
I've never been a fan of DPMS, but after looking at their new G2 series of .308s I've got a case of the WANTS. It's a lighter rifle than before, and I've seen a lot of positive reviews from people who have bought them. I've been looking at the Recon with a 16" barrel, and I would like to look at the Light Hunter with a 20" barrel. Both barrels are free floated.

I've built a lot of AR15s and mixed and matched parts because there is a standard, but I think I would buy somebody's AR10 style rifle that I liked and then modify to taste, because there is no standard.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2014 at 12:17
So after reading and thinking and reading and thinking, I'm going to do a AR-15 and bolt gun purchase instead of the 716. I thought about costs and uses, and I'm already beyond set up with 5.56 gear. I'm looking at the LWRC M6A2 D-DEA 14.7. Anyone have any experience with any of LWRC products?

dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2014 at 14:07
I heard the SWFA SS-AR's are pretty nice! Wink

But really, I ran an LWRC in a few matches and really liked it. Stretched it out to 550 with ease.

If it were me, I would build the lightest weight rifle possible. Then, add the extras only as you need them. The less weight and clutter you have, the easier the rifle will handle when you need to be quick. When I spook a hog at 20 or 30 yards and he is tearing for a tree line, a quick comfortable rifle is much more effective than one with a light, laser, bipod, AFG and every other accessory you can possibly find piled on it... But that is just my .02 
Dillon@SWFA.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic