OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FBI Selects Leupold Again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FBI Selects Leupold Again
    Posted: August/27/2014 at 08:24
Leupold® Mark 6® 3-18x44mm Wins Again with FBI Contract

BEAVERTON, Ore. - Leupold®, America's Optics Authority®, has been selected to deliver Mark 6® 3-18x44mm riflescopes to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Designated for use by the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team (HRT), the Mark 6 3-18x44mm delivers a wide magnification range in a compact, efficient package perfect for urban environments as well as extended rural settings.

"The world's most elite military and law enforcement units are finding the Mark 6
3-18x44mm to be the complete package," said Wilson Timothy, director of tactical and international sales at Leupold & Stevens, Inc. "The 3 to 18 power range covers almost any scenario these groups may experience, all in a riflescope that's less than 12 inches in length."

The Mark 6 3-18x44mm riflescope has been selected by a number of agencies and departments for its rugged durability, exceptional optical quality, and American design, machining and assembly. As part of the ECOS-O (Enhanced Combat Optic Sight - Optimized) program, the Mark 6 3-18x44mm was selected by the Naval Special Warfare Center.

In addition, the past two International Sniper Competitions have been won using the Mark 6 3-18x44mm by SSGT Daniel Horner and SPC Tyler Payne. The famed Los Angeles Police Department Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team has also made the Mark 6 3-18x44mm the standard optic for the unit's precision rifles.

"We especially want to remind rifle manufacturers that may be submitting weapons for the U.S. Army's Compact Semi Automatic Sniper System (CSASS) trials that the Mark 6 3-18x44mm has been accepted and approved in a number of military contracts," Timothy said. "There are a number of details to worry about in any military contract process, but your optic does not need to be one."

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 10:59
I hear good things about them, no hands on yet.

That they got a contract carries some weight, but only some.  Those of us who have carried contract gear know that best doesn't always (or, more accurately, "rarely") gets most of the contracts.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 14:48
For most government organizations, "adequate" wins… doesn't have to be best or even best value, just adequate.

However, I looked at some Leupold scopes today and was impressed.  It appears they are stepping up to the plate again, after a long dry spell...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 15:13
A buddy of mine (R Miller) has this very scope and next to the Kahles Comp. K 6-24X56 it is his favorite optic.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 15:20
Good for Leupold. I think they are on the rise again. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tucson47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucson47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 15:20
It doesn't even have to be 'just adequate'. Performance is not really a factor any more. Just look at the contracts with CGI Federal or Halliburton. What count$ now are corporate connection$.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 15:46

[QUOTE=Skylar McMahon] A buddy of mine (R Miller) has this very scope and next to the Kahles Comp. K 6-24X56 it is his favorite optic. [/QUOTE

High praise. Dammit, if I need a new scope, that means I need a new rifle too. This would make a nice fit for a AIAW in 300WM, yes?

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 15:55
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

A buddy of mine (R Miller) has this very scope and next to the Kahles Comp. K 6-24X56 it is his favorite optic.

This would make a nice fit for a AIAW in 300WM, yes?

I would say that it would RC, but I believe personally you would favor the Kahles Competition K over anything Leupold. Nothing against Leupold, you and I have spoken and I know that you are partial to European lenses above all else.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 17:38
Not true, not true at all!

I like a pretty sight picture, I REQUIRE precision and accuracy, above all else.

And the Leupolds I used had to be doped past the correct setting, then dialed back to the setting.  They also broke. Allot!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 18:26
From my admittedly limited exposure to them the new Leupold designs are quite good.

I like VX-6 quite a bit.  I REALLY like the HAMR and a couple of Mark 6 scopes I looked at briefly were very good.

Mark 4s, I am not nearly as impressed with.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 22:34
Originally posted by tucson47 tucson47 wrote:

Just look at the contracts with CGI Federal or Halliburton. What count$ now are corporate connection$.

A misconception borne out of partisan politics and disinformation spread by the willing accomplices in the mainstream media.

I worked for Halliburton for 10 years.

I realize this is off-topic, but I get tired of hearing this same bullcrap all the time. This is not a criticism of you, tucson; it's a criticism of the democrat party and their allies in the media.

First, it was often reported that Halliburton got the contracts for construction and fuel delivery in Iraq, to try to draw a connection between the Bush admin and Dick Cheney. In reality, it wasn't Halliburton doing the work, but Kellogg, Brown & Root (KBR), which was a subsidiary of Halliburton at the time.

Second, KBR was awarded all sorts of military contracts in the past stemming back to WWII, and their contract in Iraq had nothing to do with Bush/Cheney, but was simply due to the fact they were the only US company equipped to do the widely disparate tasks required by the government contract. Multiple administrations, both Republican and Democrat awarded KBR military contracts since WWII. KBR even built some battleships, in fact. Also, Cheney left Halliburton years before he ever became a politician...and not on good terms either. And, he sold all his Halliburton stock shortly after leaving Halliburton.

Third, KBR's contract was so incredibly lucrative that Halliburton was desperately trying to sell off KBR... and nobody wanted to buy it! Halliburton inherited a bunch of asbestos lawsuits from their purchase of KBR, and KBR was always a huge albatross on their back. There was no upside financially or on the PR front. On top of that, KBR had some 80 employees lose their lives in Iraq. When I was at Halliburton, we CELEBRATED when Halliburton finally sold KBR because our stock value increased immediately afterward! Yeah, really lucrative asset there.

The democrat party spread this b.s. because of the double whammy effect their hatred of both the Bush/Cheney administration and "big oil" would have on public perception. I remember there was a time when we had protesters standing outside our mfg facility every Friday, carrying signs that said "blood for oil" and singing their little chants. I had to resist the urge to ask those dumb@sses if they arrived there from all over the country via bicycles or if they walked. Let's just say they didn't get much support from the local community. Not only was their "blood for oil" mantra hypocritical given they arrived on very fuel-hungry buses, but they didn't have a clue what we did at our location. It had absolutely zero connection to anything in Iraq.

Just proves if you repeat a lie often enough, the public will believe almost anything.

Again, this isn't a slam against you, tucson47, but instead on the mainstream media and the democrat party.

Carry on...
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2014 at 09:31

Not true, not true at all!

I like a pretty sight picture, I REQUIRE precision and accuracy, above all else.

And the Leupolds I used had to be doped past the correct setting, then dialed back to the setting.  They also broke. Allot!

My mistake RC. I took something out of context.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2014 at 09:39
Your comment was probably based on my admission that my Hensoldt 3-12 is my favorite optic, and that it also happens to have the best glass I have ever used.  The tracking on that optic has been near perfect, so other things contribute - most assuredly, the eye box is the best in the business.  It is, almost literally, difficult to get a bad sight picture with that scope.

If the scope is not precise and accurate, I have no use for it; beyond that, glass is important.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2014 at 09:41
That's the thread I was thinking about, however your point makes a tremendous amount of sense.

If it doesn't have those characteristics, it most likely would appeal to any of us.
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2014 at 23:51
Halliburton did some work for me years ago thought it was a professional job done at a reasonable price.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2014 at 18:27

High praise. Dammit, if I need a new scope, that means I need a new rifle too. This would make a nice fit for a AIAW in 300WM, yes?

The 300WM AI-AWM is on the way, now I "need" a scope! See how that works?

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2014 at 19:04
Halliburton was also the only company to have complied with the Government Requirements to be able to Make Government Bids.....

....other giant oil service companies like Baker-Hughes, et al, had not wanted to do so, and were not in the pool, at the time of the great Kuwait disaster.   

I don't believe the Lamestream Media even knew that [ not that they would have reported it if they had known..].....they just read their memos.....and the Dumb just get dumber.....

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2014 at 19:05

The 300WM AI-AWM is on the way, now I "need" a scope! See how that works?

For the uniniaitiated and non - black gun fans what is a AIAW if that it is what it is?
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2014 at 19:53

Accuracy International Arctic Warfare Magnum.

it is a thoroughly decent rifle.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2014 at 04:29
Thank you, I do recognize the name and have read articles re: their quality. Just googled AI and found that the founder's name is Malcolm, that was my Dads middle name.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic