OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Coyote Special

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrunchBerries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Coyote Special
    Posted: September/08/2014 at 20:10
What do you guys think about this scope?

http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Coyote-Special-Riflescope-P61641.aspx

I want to mount this on my 30-30, love the reticle as it pretty much sums up the accuracy of my rifle, and the deer and coyote I intercept are usually on the move (I stalk hunt).

Are they decent in low light? I have excellent eyesight.. maybe that plays into it?

Thank you
CrunchBerries View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrunchBerries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2014 at 12:23
I have read a review on here from 2009, but there are new itterations of this scope, wondering what you guys think, I guess a comparison to other scopes in the similar price range wold be great, like Vortex diamondback etc..

Cheers
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrunchBerries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 22:24
Received it, great in low light. Center reticle is much smaller than I thought it would be. The three circles are very fine, and the outer lines are thick enough to make out in the dark.

I love this thing, my favorite reticle so far, everything else about the scope is perfect for my uses.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2014 at 06:30
Good deal. I believe it's a rebadged Nikon Buckmaster, which is pretty darn good.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrunchBerries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2014 at 14:03
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Good deal. I believe it's a rebadged Nikon Buckmaster, which is pretty darn good.  

Yes, Nikon rep said it was a rebranded Buckmaster, which turned into Coyote Special, now the newest name for it is the "Active Target Special".. THe only major difference is the revision that happened during the coyote special's lifecycle. It went from the buckmaster looking outer shell to the prostaff looking outer shell. I prefer the prostaff one.

Excellent turrets, great glass, smooth erector, nice touch with the ARD, and the reticle is top notch.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2014 at 00:05
Personally the reticle on it drives me nuts not having the center cross hair just the circles. I used a Nikon Omega to hunt deer with a musket for several years which also had the round circles but the ones in the Coyote Special are much larger. If the target is a round target it seems to work well for that on the range but never the less it drives me nuts. I much prefer other choices.   For a 30-30 I would probably select one of these:
SPL20853Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view66370, Matte, Duplex, 30mm
$349.95

Bushnell 2-7x32 Elite Rifle Scope Bushnell 2-7x32 Elite Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUSE2732
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • RainGuard® HD
  • Ultra-Wide Band Coating
  • Argon Purging Process
  • Excellent Choice for Slug Guns
$259.00

Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUS731642E
  • Matte
  • Illuminated 4A (Red)
  • 30mm
$229.95

Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$427.00
Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope
Stock # - RED67080
  • Matte
  • 4-Plex
  • 1"
$199.95
Leupold 4x33 FX-II Riflescope Duplex Leupold 4x33 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU58530
  • Gloss
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$299.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic