OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RF Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RF Binoculars
    Posted: September/14/2014 at 03:52

Anybody got any input on Rangefinding binoculars?  I've been comparing the new Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski 10x models and have tentatively landed on the Swarovki's as they seem to be easy to use and quickest of the three to aquire ranges on objects.   

The Leica's seem to have too many bells and whistles and the Zeiss, tho very good, are heavier than the Swaro's. 

What am I missing?  It's a considerable chunk of change to plunk down but am headed out west on an expensive hunt this fall and wanted to upgrade from carrying rangefinder and bino's.

Thoughts, experience to share anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2014 at 11:41
Actually your first sentence kind of nails your choice Smile.  At the upper quality levels there is nothing much outside of how each one seems to suit a particular user.

Personally I see no need for a RF binocular, but to each his own.  In addition, outside of the Bushnell Fusion, there is not much (maybe nothing) worth looking at when RF capabilities are thrown into the choice.

Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2014 at 11:47
I currently own the Zeiss, had the older version Leica's and have used the Swaro.  They are all very good.  Pick the one that feels the best to you and has the features you like.  I doubt you will be disappointed in any of them. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 08:44
Thanks guys. 

I liked them all and the price difference between the three is not much.  I really liked the Leica's from the reviews I'd seen but after testing all three the Swaro's seemed to range the quickest and I don't really care about the temp and atmospheric pressure.

10-Ring View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2014 at 05:46

A few things to keep in mind are that the rangefinder in the binoculars doesn't carry the same warranty as the binocular itself. If repairs to the rangefinder are required then you'll be without the binoculars too. Rangefinder technology is improving all the time and you're stuck with the one in your bin. In some of the models the RF detracts from the image to a degree.

Personally, I prefer to keep them separate.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic