OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HD5, Meostar for Hunting Scope ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5, Meostar for Hunting Scope ?
    Posted: September/16/2014 at 08:02
Although I have laid eyes on the the Conquest HD5's, and a 3.5-10x44 and 4-12x50 Meopta Meostar, I have never personally mounted one and checked the tracking/POI holding ability/ etc of either one.  I have also no actual in the field experience with the duplex reticles in either one.  Anyone have any insight?  I'm 53 years old, and get along fine with the duplex reticle in the VX3, but I'm wanting to try something different.  Thanks.  
Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2014 at 22:00
No experience with the HD5, but own  50 and 56 Meostars. Tracking/POI holding with both Meos has been spot on. Have compared them with Conquest MCs for image sharpness and contrast. To my eyes the Meos come out ahead. Having said that, some feel the HD5 is a definite step up from the Conquest MC so a comparison outcome of HD5s and Meos might be somewhat different from my experience using a lesser scope. Others have voiced concerns about the excessive weight and length of the HD5s for a 1" scope. If memory serves me correctly, the Meos' have two different duplexes available, one standard plex and Plex II which is much finer than the standard. All boiled down, sounds like it might be a decision between a winner and winner.
Outrider
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2014 at 22:15
JG, get a Leica. ;)
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 08:12
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

JG, get a Leica. ;)

Big Smile  I'm wanting to stick to a 1" tube at this time, but I have to say, based on the reviews you guys have given, and the fact that there is an illuminated duplex available with the Leica, I would seriously consider it. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 11:08
Though it's not a scope model you asked about, I have the fixed power 6X42 Meopta Meopro, and I love it! I don't have the plex reticle; mine has the #4, which is bolder than the plex and is VERY visible in dim light. From what little I spun turrets, it did track spot on, but it's mounted on a hunting rifle, where I plan to keep in in "set and forget" mode, not spin turrets, so I can't say I've put it through its paces mechanically. Optically, it's exactly what you'd expect from Meopta.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 11:11
...and I do agree you should get a Leica scope as well. My Magic 8 Ball says you'll have a long, fulfilling relationship with it if you did!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 11:17
JG, the 1" Meopta's are MeoPro.  Meostars are all 30mm.

Between the HD5 and MeoPro, I think the HD5 is a little better overall, while the MeoPro is a bit better for the money.

The HD5 is really a leap forward for Chinese made scopes, I think.  If memory serves me right, the eyepiece is attached in Germany, but the rest of it is assembled in China.

Considering how good the HD5 is, it is a harbinger of much higher quality stuff to come out of China.

If you decide to go with Meopta and considering your affinity toward moderately sized scopes, I would take a good clsoe look at the Meotpa 3.5-10x44 with #4C reticle (#4 with illuminated dot).

It is easily one of the best executed illuminated reticles ever put into a 1" tube scope.

The only one that is as good or better is the twice more expensive Kahles KXi 3.5-10x50.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 12:09
I thought the HD5 was German through and through ? At least that's what their advertising would lead you to believe.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 12:14
Zeiss does say the HD5 is "designed and assembled in Germany" on their website...

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/hunting/riflescopes/conquest-riflescopes/conquest-hd5-riflescopes.html#features
Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 12:41
I do not think Zeiss would ever fess up to making something in China even if the product is very good.  As far as claiming where everything is made, that is mirky waters.  Since the eyepiece is attached in Germany, they can claim German assembly.  I do not doubt that the scope was designed in Germany though.  I am pretty sure the Conquest binocular is built the same way.

Ever since Zeiss decided to move down the market they diluted the brand somewhat.  They claim that the Terra scopes are made in Japan, for example, but having seen a few samples by now I find that very hard to believe.

ILya
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 14:09
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Between the HD5 and MeoPro, I think the HD5 is a little better overall, while the MeoPro is a bit better for the money.

The HD5 is really a leap forward for Chinese made scopes, I think.  If memory serves me right, the eyepiece is attached in Germany, but the rest of it is assembled in China.

Considering how good the HD5 is, it is a harbinger of much higher quality stuff to come out of China.

If you decide to go with Meopta and considering your affinity toward moderately sized scopes, I would take a good clsoe look at the Meotpa 3.5-10x44 with #4C reticle (#4 with illuminated dot).

It is easily one of the best executed illuminated reticles ever put into a 1" tube scope.

The only one that is as good or better is the twice more expensive Kahles KXi 3.5-10x50.

ILya

Right on about the Meostar/Meopro 1" thing.  I will remove my head from my anus now.....

The 3.5-10x44 has my attention now.  I stopped by the local gun shop and they had one, only in some ballistic reticle.  I like the #4 so that is a good option.  The older I get, the more I become interested in illuminated reticles.  Thanks for the reminder on that one. 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 14:20

I do not think Zeiss would ever fess up to making something in China even if the product is very good.  As far as claiming where everything is made, that is mirky waters.  Since the eyepiece is attached in Germany, they can claim German assembly.  I do not doubt that the scope was designed in Germany though.  I am pretty sure the Conquest binocular is built the same way.

Ever since Zeiss decided to move down the market they diluted the brand somewhat.  They claim that the Terra scopes are made in Japan, for example, but having seen a few samples by now I find that very hard to believe.

ILya

I couldn't agree more.  Don't take this to the bank, but I believe you're correct about the Conquest HD bins, as you say.  I "hear" they're actually made by Kamakura in Japan.  Great bino regardless IMO.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 14:29
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

ILya

Right on about the Meostar/Meopro 1" thing.  I will remove my head from my anus now.....

The 3.5-10x44 has my attention now.  I stopped by the local gun shop and they had one, only in some ballistic reticle.  I like the #4 so that is a good option.  The older I get, the more I become interested in illuminated reticles.  Thanks for the reminder on that one. 

The nice thing about Meopta's 4C reticle is that even without the illumination the reticle is very usable.

Also, because the opening in the reticle is comparatively small, the top of the vertical post provides for a very useful secondary aiming point.  I do not remember the exact dimensions on the 2.5-10x44, but I think it is about 5MOA down from the center aiming point at top magnification.

Last time I played with that reticle (in a different scope though), it was on my 280Rem and the top of the bottom post was almost dead on at around 400 yards.

ILya 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 14:34
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

ILya

I couldn't agree more.  Don't take this to the bank, but I believe you're correct about the Conquest HD bins, as you say.  I "hear" they're actually made by Kamakura in Japan.  Great bino regardless IMO.

Or Kamakura in China.   I think they have a facility in Guandong.

ILya
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 14:36

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if hydrophobic coatings are important in the locales and type of hunting you do, but Meopta's website is a bit misleading there.  If you want a hydrophobic coating on one of their scopes, you need to jump to their new R2 line.  They should be releasing an illuminated 1.7-10x42 and a 2-12x50 in the US shortly.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 15:13
I remember there was a guy over at the 24HCF who posted and was a VP of marketing who was pretty forthright about the Terra line as far as where they were made and he did say right out of the gate that the  Terra scopes were made in Japan and the Terra bino's, China. For Zeiss to advertise that the HD5 is designed and assembled in Germany with only the attachment of the eye piece/ocular assembly would be very dishonest IMO. Not saying it isn't true.......just very dishonest.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 16:20
They are just spinning the truth.  In our world today spinning is okay.  Its not really lying.  Loco
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 16:56
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I remember there was a guy over at the 24HCF who posted and was a VP of marketing who was pretty forthright about the Terra line as far as where they were made and he did say right out of the gate that the  Terra scopes were made in Japan and the Terra bino's, China. For Zeiss to advertise that the HD5 is designed and assembled in Germany with only the attachment of the eye piece/ocular assembly would be very dishonest IMO. Not saying it isn't true.......just very dishonest.

There are fairly specific rules in each country which define what you can call "Made in (fill the blank)".  Ifthey do enough in Germany to call it "Made in Germany", then they are not doing anything illegal.

If they finish assembly in Germany, then "Assembled in Germany" is perfectly legitimate.

ILya
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2014 at 08:58

how does the steiner predator extreme...fit into the equation..glass looks very goodBig Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic