OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SS 3-15HD coming?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New SS 3-15HD coming?????
    Posted: October/03/2014 at 09:35

I noticed a thread over on Sniper's Hide mentioning the possibility of a SS 3-15 HD coming sometime in the future........?  Here's a link to the thread - http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-rifle-scopes/269268-swfa-3-15hd.html Yippee

Man would I love to see this come to pass.  This would fill in the one last gap I have in my scope buying adventure and would be the scope I've been dreaming about for my .223 bolt gun, and possibly another for a .22 LR.

How bout it SWFA?  I can't wait for whatever Black Friday holds this year!!!!!!!!! Wishful thinking maybe, but looking forward to finding out what's in store.

FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 16:38

Not a single bite on this, huh?????

Well, with Black Friday only a little over a week away, I may have to just pop for another 5-20 if they are on the flyer next week.

Was really hoping for an HD 3-15 or there abouts though..........

FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 12:53

Anyone think there's any hope for this, this year?  Just can't bring myself to look at the classic line.  Not saying they are not good scopes for the money, but I like my HD scopes, 1-6, 3-9 and 5-20.............. Just keep hoping for that one last model to fill the void between the 3-9 and 5-20.  I can't be the only one........ then again, judging from the number of replies this thread has got, maybe I am?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 13:04
I would like a 3-15x HD as well.  But I have not heard anything either. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 13:21
I'd go for a SS 3-15x50HD in a heart beat or two , but I haven't heard anything either.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 15:05
I'd love to see one too.  Finding the right price point for it will be hard.  The 3-15 is $699 and the 5-20 is $1299.  A 3-15HD may not fit well between those prices.
Stamp collecting since 2015
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 23:33
Thats a $600 price diff. I think it wouold fit pretty well. $1000 or $1100 for one without ill would be nice
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 23:44
I thought about that.  It is a large difference.  My thinking was if the price point was $1000 how many will hold out and save a little for the 5-20 or say $1000 is too much and get the 3-15

It sure made more sense when I wrote it earlier Loco
Stamp collecting since 2015
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2015 at 12:26
Well, that sorta depends on how the scope is configured.

Personally, what I would like to see in the HD line is something significantly slimmer and lighter than than the 5-20x50, so that they would not compete for the same customer. 

For example, something like a 3-15x36 with low profile turrets and a modified FFP Mil-Quad for some wind holds would be perfect for my purposes.

It would be a unique offering with virtually nothing like it out there.  Going with a smaller objective also makes it easier to make a shorter scope.

For example, let's say they could build a 3-15x36 30mm tube FFP scope with HD glass, a nice reticle, overall length of around 12" and weighing in at less than 20 ozs with exposed elevation turret and a capped windage turret for $1100.   Would you buy it?

What is this scope had a 1" tube instead of the 30mm and weighed in at around 16 ozs.  Would that be more attractive?

If I were to start a scope company, that is a product I would start it with.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2015 at 13:16
It would if it were a hunting scope, but the tactical community seems to be fine with heavy scopes as they equate that to durability. I always wondered if SWFA came out with a " hunting version " of the SS how it would be received. I suspect Chris probably feels that market is pretty well saturated anyway.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2015 at 13:25
You are probably right.

However, the successof Bushnell's LRHS line suggests that there is some room in light weigh tactical/precision/hunting market.

ILya
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2015 at 15:13
This!
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Well, that sorta depends on how the scope is configured.

Personally, what I would like to see in the HD line is something significantly slimmer and lighter than than the 5-20x50, so that they would not compete for the same customer. 

For example, something like a 3-15x36 with low profile turrets and a modified FFP Mil-Quad for some wind holds would be perfect for my purposes.

It would be a unique offering with virtually nothing like it out there.  Going with a smaller objective also makes it easier to make a shorter scope.

For example, let's say they could build a 3-15x36 30mm tube FFP scope with HD glass, a nice reticle, overall length of around 12" and weighing in at less than 20 ozs with exposed elevation turret and a capped windage turret for $1100.   Would you buy it?

What is this scope had a 1" tube instead of the 30mm and weighed in at around 16 ozs.  Would that be more attractive?

If I were to start a scope company, that is a product I would start it with.

ILya
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2015 at 21:35
I'd buy at least one.
At least.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2015 at 16:04
A 3-15x50 HD would fill the hole in my lineup perfectly.......... even a 3-18.  Maybe it's just wishful thinking, and maybe SWFA has their lineup as full as they wish it to be, but I'm holding out for a new HD model with 3 on the lower end and 12, hopefully 15, or 18 on the high end.  How about making this wish come true and roll it out for Black Friday!!!!!!!!
notorious View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notorious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2015 at 17:39
I would prefer a hash design on the HD reticle.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2015 at 19:19
Life would be good a 2-12 x 36 HD hunter & A 4-16X42 HD tactical.One can only hope...........
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
shooter3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2015 at 01:24
Is the difference between HD and standard line that significant?
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2015 at 10:24

Strictly just my opinion, but some will say the HD line has better glass.  Another major difference is the way that the turret caps secure on the turrets.  With the classic line, the caps are held in place by 3 set screws around the sides of the cap.  On the HD line of scopes, the turret caps fit down over the splined turret and are held in place by a single screw threaded into the top/center turret.  The screw seals the cap on top of the turret.  A more robust/secure way in my opinion.

I'm sure the older 3 set screw design works - it's been around a long time, but if the screws should loosen, you have the possibility of the cap spinning off your set point.

As all my other SS scopes are from the HD line, I'd like to continue with that line.  I like the build, the features, and they are worth the money.

Just waiting and hoping SWFA will make it reality!!!!

Another major difference to me is that the HD scope have a locking ocular adjustment ring.  On the classic scopes such as the 3-15 the ocular adjustment is non locking and would be covered if you run scope caps.  Maybe not a deal killer for some people, but it is for me.  I like running aadland scope caps and I don't want to be prying them off to adjust focus as my eyes change.

Edited by FireEMT5 - October/02/2015 at 10:06
BETAJAX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BETAJAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2015 at 00:52
I really like the size, weight and MIL-Quad reticle in the current 3-15x42.  The features I'd add are an  illuminated reticle, zero stop and perhaps locking turrets.  So yes, I'd love to see an improved updated version of this optic as long as the profile remained the same.  
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 10:19
Less than a month to go before Black Friday....................  Such a shame that another year has come to pass and this hasn't gained any traction.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic