OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Valdada Rings/Bases Rem 700 LTR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PilotRPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valdada Rings/Bases Rem 700 LTR
    Posted: October/19/2014 at 10:50
I need 35mm rings for a Vortex 5-20HD on a Remington 700 LTR.  There aren't a ton of options for rings.  I've heard not too great things on Vortex rings.  The Valdada ones seem to get good recommendations.

So for a 50mm objective, it seems I need about 28mm of clearance including a scope cap. 

Half of the tube height is 17.5, and the .25 low valdada rings are 6.4mm, for a total of 23.9mm clearance.

Anyone know what the height of the 20moa valdada one-piece base is?  Looks like as long as it is at least 5-6mm, I should be OK.

So should I go with the low rings?  Any reason I should move up to the mediums?

Any other brands you would recommend?  Looking to not spend a whole lot more than $200 for bases and rings.  I do plan on lapping them as long as I can find/make a 35mm rod.

Thanks!

Jesse
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2014 at 11:42
Vortex 35mm are made by seekins. They are very good rings. Better than valdada IMO

Also dont lap just because u can. Thats a good way to ruin rings and ruin the finish on your scope tube.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2014 at 14:24
I concur on the Seekins recommendation from our esteemed member. 

Then again, I just don't like IOR.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
PilotRPI View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PilotRPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 15:39
Change of plans.  I'm going with the Vortex Precision Matched rings.  Those appear to be the Seekins ones.  The great tolerances appear to make it so you have a higher probability of not needing to lap them.

Now, what type of base should I get?  Seekins for that as well?  Again, I want similar quality to help the chance of things lining up nicely.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 16:04
Seeking makes a good base.  Most likely it will be your guns receiver that will be out of wack and not your rings or base.

This is a good review of another big reason for lapping or really for not lapping.  I use a kit like this to mount all my scopes and bed when necessary.  Not once have I had to lap a set of rings since. 

http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=12617
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

PilotRPI View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PilotRPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 21:07
Great article.  That pretty much sums up what I've found over the past few days.  My plan is to get a good base, and check alignment for that first.  If it needs to be adjusted, I will take it to a smith to be bedded, or maybe do it myself.  I will then mount quality rings, which should then not need to be lapped.  But I can check that as well.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2014 at 15:56
Wheeler makes a kit that has alignment bars that are much cheaper than the Kokopelli kit too. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic