OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 1-4x24 Illuminated Mil-Quad DM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 18:02
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

Are there any plans for this reticle in other scopes?
Not immediately but we have talked about it.

I have some ideas on that....
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 18:40
they shall listen
No one
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2014 at 04:10
Has the mounting length been written/ discussed any where?
Thanks.
Glen.
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2014 at 08:02
well i think it would be a home run in the 3-9/3-15
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2014 at 13:35
The 1-4 tactical length is 10.2" where the 1-4 HD length is 10.3" Not much difference.
All the specs  for the 1-4 Tactical are listed on the Riflescopes.com SS  Tactical scopes page.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P78365.aspx
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
recce556 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote recce556 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2014 at 04:18
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

The turrets are of a low profile exposed design, but honestly, on scopes of this type I do not use the turrets much.

Originally posted by photek (as in Form & Function? If so, very cool.) photek (as in Form & Function? If so, very cool.) wrote:

2)  Is there going to be a version of this scope with capped turrets ?

I think SWFA should seriously consider a capped (or locked) turret version. I agree 100% with Ilya when he says that on this type of scope, you wouldn't use the turrets much. This is why the Short Dot Gen.2 (which I think a lot of people would consider the a pretty good standard for 1-4x CQB optics) comes with locking turrets. The SpecterDR has a lockable elevation knob (and the windage knob would be very hard to turn accidentally). The Swaro 1-6x come with capped knobs. Even Vortex made a capped knob version of their 1-4x (the "HS" if I remember correctly).

I think unintentional "adjustments" are more of an issue than the need for "quick" adjustment on a scope of this type....another case of "looking" tactical rather than exercising thoughtful design (like those god-awful cheap "red dots" that have picatinny rails all over it...so you can put a smaller RDS on your RDS...Xzibit loves it.)

Otherwise, it looks a very good scope for the money...capped/locking knobs would make much better.

Sit-Rep View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sit-Rep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2014 at 03:12
Long time forum lurker, and I just picked this scope up.  For me it was too good of a deal to pass up.  I have done some reviews on other gun sites, and will post one up as soon as I get this bad boy mounted and out to the range.  Looks AWESOME.

Next purchase is a 6x42 for my PTR-91....
MP44 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MP44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2014 at 04:46
Where is it manufactured?
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2014 at 04:59
Welcome to the OT Sit-Rep,looking forward to your review!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Mincer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mincer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2014 at 12:37
Bought mine at midnight... like a geek. 
Can't wait for it to get here!
I wish I had a good reason to buy some of the other Black Friday deals... those 10X42's with rings and a level for under $260 are looking pretty tasty.  I'll post as soon as I get this optic, get it mounted and get out to the range.

20"POF P308, Ruger SR556 Carbine
Sit-Rep View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sit-Rep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2014 at 13:25
Same here.  

I'm not new to the optics game, I've used Acogs, have multiple other scopes, but this is only my 2nd low powered 1x style scope.  If I like this one, I think I might throw it on my Beater rifle, and get a SWFA 1-4x FFP for my other rifle.  I'm debating a 6x42 Super Sniper for my PTR-91.  I think it would be a great addition.
robotizing View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotizing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 16:45
I want to get one of these for my rifle that has a standard weaver mount. Will low swfa super sniper rings clear the scope completely or will the adjustments of the scope hit the weaver base ? Should I purchase medium rings instead ??? Thank you very much in advance.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 17:18
depends on rifle and height of rail. on a bolt gun, lows should work. on an AR you'll need AR height, which is around 1.5". SWFA has there SALT mount on stupid sale right now.
robotizing View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotizing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 18:34
It is a standard weaver mount made for the ak platform. It is ma manufactured by Midwest industries. What I'm afraid is the adjustment for zoom on the scope will make the scope not fit with low rings...
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 18:46
so get a SSALT for $29.95 (similar to a Burris PEPR)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 19:26
i'd get the SALT mount, for $30. even if you can't use it for your AK, you can run it on an AR
Mincer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mincer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 20:38
Are these in stock & shipping yet?
20"POF P308, Ruger SR556 Carbine
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 21:20
good possibility the first shipment might be sold out. (went on sale 11/28 12:01am CST).

ORDER NOW it should tell you if your backordered.   I think...

Edited by budperm - November/29/2014 at 21:56
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2014 at 21:21
Sorry and yes I'm told in stock and currently shipping...
--Thomas Jefferson

david stroud View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david stroud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2014 at 08:33
Just a quickie review from one trip to range.
Nice scope glass is nice and clear scope build seems solid and really like a couple of the features like storage for extra battery and the fact it comes with 3 different throw levers. Clicks were very positive and adjustments seemed accurate and I don feel like I will have any trouble with turrets moving unintentionally.
I shot one on a Blackout and another on a .223 and took both to two hundred yards and the reticle did not match but I expected that and I think it will be very close with my 3 gun load once I try it. I did notice eye relief was a tad shorter compared to most scopes I mount. I had to move the scope back well past the charging handle for my buddy to get a full clear view. Compared to my Vortex Razor 1-6 it was maybe an inch and half further back?
My friend used the .223 with the SS 1-4 to shot a hog last night between the eyes at about 50 yards with the illumination on 3.
As Koskin mentioned above the illumination is not daylight bright at all but works fine in lower light conditions.
Scope is lightweight and is a perfect fit for lightweight AR's
I am satisfied with mine and my buddy who had a Bushnell AR model on his is way happier as his reticle was very thick and covered too much target.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic