OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 1-4x24 Illuminated Mil-Quad DM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 04:28
Just exactly what I was looking for. Blew me away when I first saw it
I almost scrolled past it thinking it was the 1-4 HD. Which, no doubt is a great.scope. But I wanted a center dot. And this has a roughly 1" dia. 1 moa,   .3 mil center dot. It will be ideal for most of my hunting rifles. Not overly crazy about only 3.1" eye relief on 4× but I can figure it out. Tho I may not put it on my next 416. I'll try it on my 458 Win Mag first. If I don't get ringed I'll be good to go.
For predator and big game hunting on everything else it looks like it will work great !! I didn't see the temperature rating or the 50 cal OK rating. Anyone know?
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 04:44
Also, I take it that it is a 30 mm tube?
You are being watched.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 05:41
It is a 30mm tube.  Though not stated, I would bet a lot it is 50BMG rated.  SWFA does not make anything not 50BMG rated.  Some of the absolute toughest optics on the market.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 06:25
MMm glad he asked. Looking at it i was thingking it was a 1" tube..... NTS  need rings! Cool
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 13:32
With the lighter weight I wasn't sure. From the pics it looked like a 30 mm but, don't hurt to ask.
You are being watched.
Mincer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mincer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2014 at 09:02
Chris,
Amazing timing. 
I've been laid up with a cast on my right foot (non-weight bearing and no driving) for the past month and I've been spending all of my free time doing internet research and obsessing over which 1-4x to buy for my AR when I recover.  I had finally made up my mind. The cast came off yesterday and then happened across your post. I was literally in the process of buying a Vortex PST 1-4x at the time because in my estimate, it was the best of the sub $500 options out there (even though there was no dedicated ranging worked into the reticle).  Ironically, the Leatherwood CMR4 was my second choice and it is compared to your new 1-4x in this forum as well. 

OK, so now the SWFA 1-4x has my complete attention.  Best in class weight, uncluttered yet usable ranging reticle (simple enough for CQB / refined enough to stretch out to +500yds), great company track record, AMAZING price point, even an integrated cattail. EVERYTHING I have been looking for.

I can certainly wait another week to order on November 28th.  Here's the question, WHEN will I get it if I buy it on the 28th?  Are they in stock? Do you anticipate them selling out?

I don't know if I can wait much longer!
Thanks,

Mincer
20"POF P308, Ruger SR556 Carbine
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2014 at 09:36
Originally posted by Mincer Mincer wrote:

Chris,
Amazing timing. 
I've been laid up with a cast on my right foot (non-weight bearing and no driving) for the past month and I've been spending all of my free time doing internet research and obsessing over which 1-4x to buy for my AR when I recover.  I had finally made up my mind. The cast came off yesterday and then happened across your post. I was literally in the process of buying a Vortex PST 1-4x at the time because in my estimate, it was the best of the sub $500 options out there (even though there was no dedicated ranging worked into the reticle).  Ironically, the Leatherwood CMR4 was my second choice and it is compared to your new 1-4x in this forum as well. 

OK, so now the SWFA 1-4x has my complete attention.  Best in class weight, uncluttered yet usable ranging reticle (simple enough for CQB / refined enough to stretch out to +500yds), great company track record, AMAZING price point, even an integrated cattail. EVERYTHING I have been looking for.

I can certainly wait another week to order on November 28th.  Here's the question, WHEN will I get it if I buy it on the 28th?  Are they in stock? Do you anticipate them selling out?

I don't know if I can wait much longer!
Thanks,

Mincer
The scopes will be in stock here in the next week. As long as you order the same day they come out you should be fine and you should have it within a week of ordering it.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2014 at 10:19
reticle would be bad ass in the 3-9 and 3-15
Mincer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mincer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2014 at 11:28
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

The scopes will be in stock here in the next week. As long as you order the same day they come out you should be fine and you should have it within a week of ordering it.

I haven't participated in a "Black Friday" sales event in a while, particularly one that's online.  Could you tell us precisely when we should expect the "Add to Cart" button to appear on your website?
Oh Yea Baby
I'll try to calm down.
Thanks.
20"POF P308, Ruger SR556 Carbine
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2014 at 12:06
Welcome to Optics Talk, Mincer. Black Friday is right around the corner...Yippee
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2014 at 15:17
Originally posted by Mincer Mincer wrote:

Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

I haven't participated in a "Black Friday" sales event in a while, particularly one that's online.  Could you tell us precisely when we should expect the "Add to Cart" button to appear on your website?
Oh Yea Baby
I'll try to calm down.
Thanks.
You can add to cart nowfor $399.95, but adding them to the cart at $299.95 will be available at 12:01 AM November 28th CST.

Edited by Chris Farris II - November/25/2014 at 16:06
photek View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2014 at 17:36
If you guys have a chance to field questions I definitely have some.  I apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere, I didn't seem to find them if they were.  

For SWFA:

1)  Is there going to be a version of this scope available in MOA instead of MIL ?
2)  Is there going to be a version of this scope with capped turrets ?
3)  Is the illumination on the scope considered "daylight" view-able ?
4)  What are the major differences in the SWFA SS HD 1-4x and this scope that warrant the significant price difference? (Clarity, Illumination, Ability to resist damage, etc.)

I have bought mounts and some other items through SWFA but have yet to purchase a scope.  I am heavily leaning towards the SWFA SS HD 1-4, but just stumbled across this deal and now I am reconsidering. Haha.  You guys are good. Smile

For any user that has used this scope:

- How does this compare directly with the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24.  I assume this will be one of the primary competitors with this scope when it reaches it's final price.  They'll be within 100 bucks of one another.

- Anyone have experience with both the SWFA SS HD 1-4 and the newest 1-4?  I am definitely interested in a comparison.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2014 at 21:26
What is the reticle construction? Wire hung or etched?
You are being watched.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2014 at 19:03
Are there any plans for this reticle in other scopes?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by photek photek wrote:

If you guys have a chance to field questions I definitely have some.  I apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere, I didn't seem to find them if they were.  

For SWFA:

1)  Is there going to be a version of this scope available in MOA instead of MIL ?
2)  Is there going to be a version of this scope with capped turrets ?
3)  Is the illumination on the scope considered "daylight" view-able ?Yes, in anything, but the brightest light.  I tried it on a bright sunny day and on an overcast day.  On an overcast day it really stands out well.  The reticle, however, is quite fast even without ilumination.
4)  What are the major differences in the SWFA SS HD 1-4x and this scope that warrant the significant price difference? (Clarity, Illumination, Ability to resist damage, etc.)

I have bought mounts and some other items through SWFA but have yet to purchase a scope.  I am heavily leaning towards the SWFA SS HD 1-4, but just stumbled across this deal and now I am reconsidering. Haha.  You guys are good. Smile

For any user that has used this scope:

- How does this compare directly with the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24.  I assume this will be one of the primary competitors with this scope when it reaches it's final price.  They'll be within 100 bucks of one another.  They are comparable in many ways.  The SSDM is likely a touch better optically, but it is close.  Mechanics are hard to tell for sure until there is a number of these out there.  The scope I played with did not hiccup at all.  I prefer the reticle on the SS, but that is personal.  The SSDM is a touch lighter though, which is important for my application.

- Anyone have experience with both the SWFA SS HD 1-4 and the newest 1-4?  I am definitely interested in a comparison.

I am not SWFA, but I can comment on a couple of things.  See above.

Ultimately, in the sub-$500 price range, there are now three truly viable low range variable scopes, where there were only two.  It has been Leatherwood CMR4 1-4x24 and Vortex PST 1-4x24.  Now there is also the SWFA SS DM 1-4x24.  Burris Tac30 and the original Leatherwood CMR are pretty good, but the three I referred two above are clearly better.  For the money, the new SSDM is probably the best one in the bunch.  Here is a spec table with a few scopes of this general configuration. 

SWFA SS 1-4x24 SFP

Leather-wood CMR 1-4x24

Leather-wood CMR4 1-4x24

Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20

Optisan CX6 1-6x24

Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24

Burris Fullfield II Tac 30 1-4x24

Length, in

Weight, oz

Main Tube Diameter

30mm

30mm

30mm

30mm

30mm

30mm

30mm

Eye Relief, in

5.0 - 3.1

4.1 - 3.7

4 - 3.5

FOV, ft@1000yards

99.9 - 24.8

94.8 - 26.2

94.8 - 26.2

75 - 29

120 - 20

98 - 27.5

100 - 30.2

Reticle

Mil-Quad DM

CMR

CMR4 or AK

FireDot SPR

MS3

TMCQ

Ballistic CQ 5.56

Illumination

Yes (Dot and Diamond)

Yes (dot and horse shoe)

Yes (dot and horse shoe)

Yes with motion sensor

Yes

Yes

Yes

Turrets

Exposed, 0.1 mrad

Exposed, ½ MOA, Zero Stop

Covered, 0.1 mrad

Exposed, 0.1 mrad

Covered

½ MOA

½ MOA

Covered, ½ MOA

Price

$400

$330

$450

$599

$599

$500

$300

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 12:54
This is kinda relevant to this thread -

Big Grin
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 16:10
Originally posted by photek photek wrote:

For SWFA:

1)  Is there going to be a version of this scope available in MOA instead of MIL ? At this time there are no plans for this.
2)  Is there going to be a version of this scope with capped turrets ? At this time there are no plans for this.
3)  Is the illumination on the scope considered "daylight" view-able ? Yes, in anything, but the brightest light.  I tried it on a bright sunny day and on an overcast day.  On an overcast day it really stands out well.  The reticle, however, is quite fast even without illumination.
The main difference between this scope and the SWFA SS HD 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope, which dictates the price difference, is the glass and the FFP optical system in the HD costs significantly more to manufacture.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 16:11
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger Cold Trigger Finger wrote:

What is the reticle construction? Wire hung or etched?
The reticle is etched.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 16:12
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

Are there any plans for this reticle in other scopes?
Not immediately but we have talked about it.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 16:14
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

This is kinda relevant to this thread -

Big Grin

Cencored    CF2 Poker SVT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic