OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Squirrel Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShooterToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squirrel Rifle Scope
    Posted: November/17/2014 at 19:50
This is my first post here so a little introduction is in order. I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and I hunt Squirrels. Oh I shoot deer and pigs and even fish a bit, but I am a Squirrel hunter. A few years ago I had Clark Custom build me a 77/22 Squirrel rifle and I topped it with a Pride Fowler Evolution 3-9x rimfire scope. It is an okay scope but these thick woods down here require a brighter scope. I have been bouncing between a Leupold vx III 4.5-14x40 or a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x42. Both have AO but neither will focus closer than 30 meters. What comparable scopes are out there that will adjust parralex closer than that? I would love to have one that could be adjusted from 10 meters to infinity.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2014 at 22:16

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x33-VX-2-Rimfire-EFR-Riflescope-P51833.aspx

http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-9x32-Classic-Rimfire-Rifle-Scope-P3141.aspx

Both of these will quite nicely for your purpose.

I have a Leupold, and the glass is really nice. The contrast is quite good and will let you see the bushy tails through the trees. I have not used the Weaver.

Doug
ShooterToo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShooterToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 05:24
I'm looking for a little more than 9x. The PFI I'm using now is a 3-9x32. A 40 - 44 objective bell will allow more light through at the same magnification as the 32mm objective lens. I was considering the AO models because it will be used on a rimfire a closer ranges. The newer Pride Fowler Rimfire Evolution is 3-12x42 but both the Leupold and Zeiss have much better glass. Looking through mine and the other two side by side makes me realize I spent way to much money on my PFI. The clarity is on par with those scopes in the $150-$200 range. Some of those blister pack scopes at the box stores have better glass. The PFI is mechanically very sound and the reticle works as advertised, it just isn't as clear as I want.

Before getting the Clark rifle I was using a Kimber 82 with a Leupold 4.5-14x50.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 06:04
That's a LOT of scope for a squirrel rifle, IMHO. I shot a squirrel off the bird feeder yesterday with a Weaver 2-7x. Big Grin

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 09:27
Just out of curiosity, are you typically shooting with your scope on 9x now and feel you need more power?  I ask because like others I think that that's a bit more power than needed.  I love slaying bushy tails too but my squirrel gun wears a 2-7 weaver just like CTs and I am typically always on 2-4X being they move around a bit and are harder to get on target with it dialed up.  Sometimes I've had them sit still long enough to dial up the mag but rarely.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 15:31
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

That's a LOT of scope for a squirrel rifle, IMHO. I shot a squirrel off the bird feeder yesterday with a Weaver 2-7x. Big Grin

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

My bad...took him out with the 'ol trusty Marlin 60 and the 4x Prostaff. 

Carry on....
ShooterToo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShooterToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 16:17
I have turned it down to 3x once. Most of the time it is on 9x. Picking an open avenue through our canopy and making a shot at 50-70 yards requires a bit more precision than my 9x will deliver. On a bright sunny day, using this scope to shoot turtles out to 125 yards across the pond is easy. In the Pascagoula River swamp it is thick, dark and long shots are the norm. I used a 4.5-14 in the past so that was my first inclination. I know what I want. I was asking if there were scopes comparable to the Leupold and Zeiss that will adjust parallex below 30 yards.

Shooting on off the birdfeeder suggests ranges measured in feet not yards. At birdfeeder range I would use my RWS with open sights. I came to this forum because it is an optics forum and I asked a specific question. So far I've only received derision at my choice magnification and recomendations of scopes suitable for shooting backyard squirrels off birdfeeders. If I'm in the wrong forum just tell me and I'll leave.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 16:27
Putting better glass on the rifle will do a lot more good than more magnification. Both of my primary Squirrel rifles now sport Kahles 2-7X32 scopes. A sharp well defined image far exceeds a magnified fuzzy image when in the darkest woods.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 16:40
Here you go. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx
Doug
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 17:54
If you are only interested in the 2 scopes you mentioned then it is hands down for the Zeiss. It has much better resolution than the VX III. The Leupold is ok in bright sun but it lacks contrast in the woods. If you step up to the VX 3 it has improved glass that is closer in quality to the Zeiss Conquest.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 19:10
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

If you are only interested in the 2 scopes you mentioned then it is hands down for the Zeiss. It has much better resolution than the VX III. The Leupold is ok in bright sun but it lacks contrast in the woods. If you step up to the VX 3 it has improved glass that is closer in quality to the Zeiss Conquest.

Agree.  I have the 4.5-14x50 (off of the sample list), with the German #4 Reticle, which would also be awesome for you in heavy canopy.  While deer hunting a 2-300yd field I usually leave it on around 8x unless I'm counting tines.  Another option for you may be the Vortex Viper 4-16x40:

Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4305
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$499.95
Parallax only goes down to 50yds, but that seems only to be a problem above about 12x mag.  You might also look at the regular viper for a 1" scope.  Parallax adjustment is the same 50yd min.  My 4-16 viper sits on top of my CZ 452 in 22WMR - for jackrabbits and squirrels.  Good luck.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2014 at 19:58
Please.....Roll Eyes

If your gonna get bunged up over my innocent commentary questioning your magnification choices, then yeah, your probably in the "wrong forum". 
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2014 at 15:27
I do a lot of squirrel hunting over dogs with a 1.5-5x. I understand you want high magnification for shots that are twice as long as I ever take. I can see that. However, I take lots of shots at the ranges where you want your scope to adjust down for parallax. It isn't an issue. My scope is set for parallax at fifty yards. I zero at thirty yards with subsonic hollow points. I shoot about half my squirrels when they are laying flat with only enough head showing to allow them to see me.

So, a scope adjusted for fifty yards will thread through precisely enough to not just take a head shot, but half a head shot. Parallax isn't the issue it might seem to be.

You may want to find an airgun specific forum if you're really concerned with parallax.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic