OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Temperature rating for SWFA variables/Illuminated
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Temperature rating for SWFA variables/Illuminated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temperature rating for SWFA variables/Illuminated
    Posted: November/20/2014 at 13:44
On the Classic scopes they are temp rated to-50°F but the illuminated variables are rated at-5°F .
Can someone explain what parts cause the severe limitation in the rating?
Is it the battery or the power selector ect ect. I know in Texas the higher end of the temp rating may be more important. But I actually hunt in the cold. Arctic type cold. Also, on the new 1-4×24 what is the reticle construction, Etched or wire?
Thank you!!
Glen
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 22:27
I can't comment on the specs. But I recently used the SS 3-15 at -15F. Dialing magnification up was stiff enough to be noticeable. But it wasn't bad. Otherwise the scope worked the same as it does at 70 or 90.
Reaction time is a factor...
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2014 at 00:07
Ya, so far at 12 below here my 10×42 the parralax was just a tiny bit stiffer than at above freezing. But I'm hoping to learn some particulars.
You are being watched.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2014 at 21:23
Anyone?
You are being watched.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2014 at 01:31
I would call or send an email. Ask to talk to Christopher or Skylar, if you call.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2014 at 02:29
Any reticle with floating elements in it is etched.  Wire does not float all too well with gravity being around.

Temperature rating on the mechanics of the scope is about the same across the board, best I can tell.  Your parallax settings will change with temperature with the extent of it, but that is as far as it goes.

Temperature rating on electronics is driven by what the commercial components are rated for and that is typically 0 to 85 Centigrade.

That does not mean they will not work below 0C, but that they are not rated for spec performance there.
Industrial components take that to -40C and milspec is -55C.

The batteries most commonly used in riflescopes, like the 2032, are typically rated from -30C to +60C.  It changes a bit by manufacturer, but that is the ballpark.  

The discharge time at -20C is about half of that at +60C.

ILya

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2014 at 20:18
Ilya ; your great. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!
I really liked your write up on the other thread.
Thanks again.

Glen.

Edited by Cold Trigger Finger - November/23/2014 at 20:23
You are being watched.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2014 at 22:45
You are welcome Glen.  One thing, I forgot to mention is that there are a few places in a scope that contain small amounts of grease which stiffens at low temperatures, so take that into account.

Still, if you run into temperatures where the grease can totally lock up a scope, just stay home.

I ran into temps like that once and it was not pretty.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 03:26
On my 10×42 SS, I've run the turrets quite a bit and the parralax ring a lot to make sure the grease is evenly distributed. Since that scope is a 1-4×24 it will still be transmitting most of the available light at 4× so it will prolly spend most of the time on 4x . Its just good to know the scope is designed to take it instead of some expensive European scopes that are rated for-20°C
Being out in that, -40 type cold is pretty normal for me. . I have to work in a lot colder on The Slope so, I just gear for it.

I'll be a cold weather tester for it :-) .
Thanks again.

Edited by Cold Trigger Finger - November/24/2014 at 03:31
You are being watched.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 03:33
I think this week it will start getting cold. . Its 10 under at the moment which is mild.
You are being watched.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic