OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help Me Pick A Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Me Pick A Scope
    Posted: November/25/2014 at 18:20
Last cry for help. 
Bought my last couple of scopes off SWFA due to referrals and they were good.  Looking to do it again.

Hunting
30-06
200-300 yard shots
Dusk & dawn clarity
Price range up to $1500-$1600

Swaro's bargain versions - any good?
S&B - are they that good?
Laeica - ??
Meopta - best bang for buck?
Ziess - are the eyebox problems fixed?
Etc.

I want a scope I can see the deer's rack with at 200 yards at 29 minutes after sunset.

Help.  Never had what would be classified as a really good scope.  Now's the time.
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 19:27

You don't have to spend $1500 to get a "really good" hunting scope.  I think the term your looking for is "Exceptional"," Fabulous", or maybe "Over the top", but that's not a bad place to be  Cool

Have you looked @ these?

http://nightforceoptics.com/shv-4-14x56/

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 19:51
I've got a Leica 3.5-14x42 w/ IBS reticle (non-illuminated) and love it for doing exactly what you described.  Awesome glass, light, compact, hydrophobic coating, long eye relief, and a very forgiving eye box make it an excellent hunting scope.  I hunt dark timber, and can use this scope well beyond the "30 minute" light windows.  For your application, I'd probably opt for the 2.5-10x42 (I find myself turning down the magnification to around 10 when it gets dark).  There are a couple on the sample list -- the one with the #1 reticle would do all you want and more. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 20:34
I would select this scope or one of the Zeiss scopes. I really like the power range that this scope offers. Typically my favorite hunting scopes are 4-16 x or 5-20x and I particularly like the 5-20x Super Sniper with illuminated reticle but it has tactical knobs this is more of a traditional hunting scope but with very nice features.  When you dial in correction for known distance targets it does not matter what power you are at but for scopes with hole over type reticles the hole over is set to work at one specific power with second focal plane scopes.  I do tend to like scopes with an illuminated reticle and the Trijicon scopes should also be given some consideration the 2.5-10x56 is a wonderful low light optic with the red post it will get onto game almost like magic and with the 56mmm objective it is very bright.  In low light a scope that is 6x will be bright at 42mm objective at 7x a scope will be bright with a 50mm objective and at 8x a scope will be bright with a 56mm objective. The down side is the big scopes can be a tad clumsy where one with a 50mm or smaller objective lays closer to the barrel and cheek weld is often better.  Still for low light Trijicon rules the night with fiber optics and tritium illumination that needs no battery and does not need to be turned on.  It is always a bit of a trade off when comparing scopes better glass makes a  huge difference but all of the ones I mentioned are pretty darn good.
SPL21175Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view59760, Matte, Plex, 30mm
$1,199.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 20:37
This would also be a good choice being it is first focal plane one can use the mildots to guage the distance of a deer and use them for known hold over marks like a balistic reticle but it will work at any power because it is First Focal Plane.  Very bright at 56mm   3-12 is a good hunting power range. Its a discontinued model but seems a bargain to me.
Kahles 3-12x56 Helia C 30mm Riflescope Kahles 3-12x56 Helia C 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - KAH10512
  • Matte
  • Mil2
  • 30mm
  • First Focal Plane
$1,229.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2014 at 22:30
Also you might want to check out the new Made in Germany Minox ZE5  3-15x56 with Illum 4A........$1699.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2014 at 06:04
I would get the Leica 2.5-10x42 off the Sample List pronto before it's gone. You will not find a better hunting scope for the price. I have 2 of them, and can tell you without reservation that they are as good as scopes get for your stated purpose. They have very forgiving "eye box," plenty of eye relief, exceptional optics, hydrophobic lens coatings, great low light performance, rock solid mechanics, and there probably isn't a bolder, easier to pick up non-illuminated reticle available than the #1.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2014 at 08:28
At those distances, I would suggests Swarovski 3-10X42 Z3 Rifle Scope
It's lightweight, powerful, and very solid construction is more than capable of helping you achieve shots at the distances that you are hunting.

I would also echo what Rifledude stated! The Leica scope that he's referring to is an excellent scope and for the price it is at now, I assure you will not last long.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic