OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need guidance on a scope purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need guidance on a scope purchase
    Posted: December/07/2014 at 14:45
Need a scope for a new 30-60 rifle. I will be shooting at ranges up to 200yds, nothing more.

Could be 1in or 30mm tube, no problem. Needs to have hand adjustable knobs for windage and elevation without needing a coin, and hopefully something that has a record of withstanding recoil without issues.

My budget is $250, which isn't much, so hopefully you can guide me to the best scope that meets my requirements with the best glass possible for this little money. 

Thanks heaps.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2014 at 15:00
Do you need it to be hand adjustable just for sighting in?  Shooting at 200 or less I would want a scope to set and forget.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RobsonT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2014 at 16:24
I actually have several rifles with the same QR mounting system, so the scope will be going from one rifle to another therefore will be zeroed in each time. Thanks.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2014 at 20:56

Your budget does narrow your options but your in luck. Nikon prostaff series offers amazing lens quality and adjustable turrets that are in your budget. This is from the SWFA listing page. I sell a lot of these and have had 0 complaints.

Welcome to the OT!!!

Nikon 3-9x50 ProStaff Riflescope

Stock # - NIK6726                                                    219.95

• Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Multicoated Optical System
  • Generous, Consistent Eye Relief
  • Precise Hand-turn 1/4-MOA Click Adjustments
  • Sun Shade Adaptable
  • Extremely Bright Sight Picture
  • Versatile Magnification Range
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
RobsonT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2014 at 22:23
Thank you very much. I will now have to choose between it and the Redfield revolution 3-9x40. Any thoughts on this one? :)
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2014 at 22:41

I can't comment on the Redfield per hands on but I have found some reviews that are down on it for clarity. And I must say that was my first impression when you mentioned it. The Nikon Porstaff is actually very close to Khales, Meopta  and IOR for clear low light hunting. That is why so many people are so impressed with it, myself included. I hunt with Zeiss and IOR and to see a 200.00+ scope give that kind of performance is worthy of consideration. I guess I'm pushin it alittle and I get nothing out of it if you buy one. I just hate to see folk max their budget and be disappointed. I have the advantage of seeing how scopes perform thru my customers and don't have to take too many chances on buy and try.

Good Luck in your choosing!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic