OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best choice of spotting scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best choice of spotting scopes
    Posted: July/15/2006 at 03:57

I will shooting 1000 yards .My old spotting scopes is bushnell elite 20x60x70 mm it can't see the hole at range over 500 yards .Now I looking for new spotting scopes .

I have 4 choice.

1 bushnell elite ED lens 80 mm 654 bucks

2 Nikon 25-56x82 ED Fieldscope Outfit 1299 bucks

3 Kowa 82mm Spotter fluorite crystal lens 1308 bucks

4 Pentax 27-81x80 ED Spotting Scope 1048 bucks

What difference of those?

I want buy my new spotting scopes at the right price.

Thank you.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2006 at 09:14

I have a Swarovski HD 20-60x80 and i can't see bullet holes at over 500 yards. Before this i had an Optolyth 20-60x100 mm ED and  i could not see bullet holes at over 500 yards. Was that the question?

If i were to choose a scope from your list, i would get the Nikon ED and hope that i get a cherry sample.

nars View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2006 at 09:27
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

I have a Swarovski HD 20-60x80 and i can't see bullet holes at over 500 yards. Before this i had an Optolyth 20-60x100 mm ED and  i could not see bullet holes at over 500 yards. Was that the question?

If i were to choose a scope from your list, i would get the Nikon ED and hope that i get a cherry sample.

I heard that bushnell and nikon are made from the same factory.I think they are not likely  different.

Please give me some advise.

Thanks

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2006 at 09:23

They may be made in the same factory, but they are not made with the same components and are not the same scope. The Nikon, Kowa, and Pentax on your list are some of the best scopes ever made, and choosing one is just a matter of opinion or price. I have looked through each of these scopes and i would be happy with either.

I have only briefly looked through the Bushnell, and i was not impressed. Not a bad scope, just not up there.

If you want a scope for shooting range only, consider buying a fixed power eyepiece, such as a 40x or 50x. Fixed power eyepieces are brighter and better at that magnification because they have at least one lens less. 

nars View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2006 at 10:52

They may be made in the same factory, but they are not made with the same components and are not the same scope. The Nikon, Kowa, and Pentax on your list are some of the best scopes ever made, and choosing one is just a matter of opinion or price. I have looked through each of these scopes and i would be happy with either.

I have only briefly looked through the Bushnell, and i was not impressed. Not a bad scope, just not up there.

If you want a scope for shooting range only, consider buying a fixed power eyepiece, such as a 40x or 50x. Fixed power eyepieces are brighter and better at that magnification because they have at least one lens less. 

I decided to buy pentax.

last question.

New Pentax 80mm ED Spotting Scope( http://www.riflescopes.com/products/70950/new_pentax_80mm_ed _spotting_scope.htm)

can use with Kowa and Nikon eyepieces?

because pentax doesn't have 50xeyepieces and expensive more than Kowa and Nikon. please advise appropiate 30x,50x,eyepieces for me.

Thank you for your suggestion.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2006 at 11:50

The Pentax 80 ED is a scope as good as anything with a German or Austrian name, and it is the most versatile when it comes to eyepieces, because it accepts any standard astronomy 1.25" eyepiece. You will find many dozens of 1.25"  eyepieces from $30 to $300. Some of these are maybe $60 (many manufacturers of astro telescopes) and are outstanding in quality, but i am not familiar with most of them. From the highest quality eyepieces for Pentax, i would choose the

Pentax XW 10 - it gives you 50x magnification on a 80 mm scope - it is the highest possible quality, but it costs $340. Still, you might want to use some of those targets that make the bullet holes visible with neon green spots. Pentax is a good choice because it will allow you to get a 20x wide angle eyepiece, or maybe a 25x Long Eye Relief later on for not much $$.

The eyepieces are not interchangeable among Nikon, Kowa, and Pentax scopes.

If you want the information for good $50 eyepieces for the Pentax, sign in on forums such as birdforum.org or cloudynights, and ask there.

Make sure that you get a good tripod - at 50x you will need it. Good luck.

nars View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2006 at 13:35

How XF12,XF8.5 ,XO 5 ,XW14 can magnificant.

Thank you for your suggestion.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2006 at 17:14

I believe that the XW series of Pentax eyepieces are of higher quality and cost more than the XO series, but you may want to check that.

In an 80mm scope, the eyepieces (either XW or XO) will give you these magnifications:

XW 20 mm  – 26x

XW 14 mm  – 36x

XW 10 mm  – 50x

XW 7 mm  – 72x

XW 5 mm  – 100x

XW 3.5 mm  – 144x

I would not go beyond 50x in an 80mm scope (the 10mm eyepiece), that is where you start fighting physics. The eyepieces of 7mm or less (72x magnification or more) are designed for large astronomical telescopes.

To sum it up, 1.25” astronomical eyepieces of focal length 10mm to 20mm is what you are looking for – they will give you 26x to 50x magnification in your 80mm scope. Don’t go for the highest magnification, because that does not automatically mean that you will have a better image and see more. You may want to check the Ultima series of eyepieces by Celestron, they are very nice and cost about $100.

Finally, if you consider that the $350-$450 Pentax zoom is excellent and one of the best ever made, you might be on the safe side (financially) buying that one.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2006 at 22:01
Originally posted by nars nars wrote:

I heard that bushnell and nikon are made from the same factory.I think they are not likely  different.

Please give me some advise.

Thanks

Not that it matters now but, I believe this only applies to the 15-45x60 Bushnell Elite and the 16-47x60 Nikon Spotter XL. 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
nars View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2006 at 23:06

I found celestron eyepieces 7.5 ,12.5 at91 bucks

Thank you.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2006 at 16:03

nars, i don't know for sure about those Celestron eyepieces, but their description sounds very good and i would be tempted if i were in your situation or if i had a flexible scope such as a Pentax.

Why not go the safe route: get the scope body first, try one Celestron eyepiece - say, the 10mm which will be about 50x magnification in your 80mm scope, and see from there. If that eyepiece works for you, great - you saved some money and you can get and try others, if not, you sell it on ebay and get a Pentax zoom for $400.  

nars View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2006 at 16:38

What it magnificantions from pentax PF 100 ED

when use following eyepieces

XW 20 mm  

XW 14 mm  

XW 10 mm  

XW 7 mm  

XW 5 mm  

XW 3.5 mm  

I think it will better if choose PF 100 ED cause 1000 yards is verry hard.

Please advise.

Thank you.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2006 at 10:13

At 1000 yards you may see clouds of dust where your bullets hit the ground, but i doubt that you will see bullts holes with any scope. A camera and a monitor may be better. For 100mm Pentax scopes:

XW 20 mm = 32x  

XW 14 mm  = 44x

XW 10 mm  = 62x

XW 5mm = over 100x

nars View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2006 at 11:16

you give me a best choice.

Thank you.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2006 at 12:52

I can't see a target at 1000 yards, i've never shot at anything past 300. There is a community of 1000 yard shooters. How do they see their targets? How is that Tubb guy seing his tagets? The last time i shot in a competition it was at 300 meters on a shooting range in Austria. There was some sort of electronic scoring system and i could also see my targets on a small TV monitor, but i don't know how these things work.

I am reluctant to advise you on a spotting scope and to promise you that you will see .25 or .30 cal holes, because i don't think that you will.

Going back to Pentax, the 80mm or 100mm ED scopes, with premium eyepieces, are as good as it gets and equal to Zeiss, Swarovski, or Leica.

nars View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2006 at 13:03

I can't see a target at 1000 yards, i've never shot at anything past 300. There is a community of 1000 yard shooters. How do they see their targets? How is that Tubb guy seing his tagets? The last time i shot in a competition it was at 300 meters on a shooting range in Austria. There was some sort of electronic scoring system and i could also see my targets on a small TV monitor, but i don't know how these things work.

I am reluctant to advise you on a spotting scope and to promise you that you will see .25 or .30 cal holes, because i don't think that you will.

Going back to Pentax, the 80mm or 100mm ED scopes, with premium eyepieces, are as good as it gets and equal to Zeiss, Swarovski, or Leica.

I can see .30 bullet hole at 500 yards by bushnell elite 20x60x70 mm.

but sometime I can't see cause mirage.

I ever look through ED lens scope it can see bullet hole when have mirage effect.

Electronic system hard to use in the fields.

Thank you.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2006 at 14:57

Well, if you are going to shoot at 1000 yards in the fields and not at an appropriate shooting range, i want no part of it.

Dawgdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawgdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2006 at 09:45

anweis - we live in a big country with lots of wide open spaces that are as safe to shoot at as any place with a gate and target pits. If it has a safe backstop or several miles clear behind it long range shoooting can be done there. Varmint hunting at 300-600 yards "in the fields " is pretty common.

Losthwy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Losthwy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2006 at 12:45

The reviewer at BVD about the Pentax 65mm scope said,..."equal to any other 65mm scope...".

He also called the Pentax 80mm ED the best 80mm scope .

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic