OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First post, need scope suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jevyod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First post, need scope suggestion
    Posted: January/27/2015 at 11:24

Hi guys! I have been kinda lurking around here looking at what you all have to say about some scopes! I need a bit of guidance!Was just looking online, and was reading Chuck Hawkes article on
different scopes. I would like to keep my scope at under 1k if I can.
I was really looking hard at a Leupold vx-6. According to what I have
been reading, the vx-6 is as good as the Swarovski z5, with the z-5
running at 1,500, and the vx 6 running right at a grand. Also, the
Bushnell 6500 Elite is supposedly right on par with the vx-6 and is
usually a grand as well, but currently competitor has them for 750.
So do you have any suggestions? Or would you go Swarovski simply
because it is a Swarovski?
A bit of info on the gun and application. First of all, it is going on the 358 Winchester that Malcolm Ballistics is building for me off a Mauser action. The gun is pretty much all out, with engraving, color case hardening, fancy checkering, etc. So it doesn't make sense to put a 200 dollar scope on a 3,000 plus rifle. I plan on using this as my primary hunting rifle, with a bit of paper punching as well. I probably will never shoot it beyond 300 yards.
I do have a wild card, which is the Sightron SII Big sky. I have heard nothing but good about that scope. And I am not opposed to spending 500 on a scope. It gives me that much more for molds, brass etcWink

So suggestions? This will be the first time I will be spending more than 300 on a scope, and the higher end scopes are foreign to me! I have used Leupold VX1, Sightron SII, Swift Premier and Meuller optics before. But this will be my one guilty pleasure when it comes to firearms!!! Thanks for taking time for a new guy here!

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 11:41
The VX-6 do sound like nice scopes.  A Swaro Z3 3-9x36 or 3-10x42 might be a good option, they are around $800 and $900 i believe. 

Leica soon has a new line coming out that are supposed to be very nice and right around your budget.  There is a thread on this site going on now about them. 

Trijicon Accupoints are also real nice hunting scopes. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 12:16

Welcome to OT...check out Meopta Meostar R1's ... very high value, excellent glass, great mechanical performance

http://swfa.com/MeoStar-R1-C131.aspx

This is available on the samplelist...

SPL21369 Meopta 3-12x56 Meostar R1 Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 706570, Matte, Z-Plex, 30mm
$679.95
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 12:52
Sounds like you are building a beautiful gun and something you'll be proud of toting.  You need a sleek and elegant scope to match up to the gun.  I'd opt for something in the Swaro or the Leica as discussed so that you get the compliment to the rifle as well as the function of a quality piece of glass.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 14:52
A few comments:
-I would discourage from taking things Chuck hawks says about optics too seriously.  I know it sounds harsh, but it is not his field.
-VX-6 is an excellent scope, but the optics are not as good as on the more expensive Swaro/Leica/Zeiss scopes.  
- Figure out how much you are willing to spend and then pick a scope in that price range.  If yo spend time agonizing over "what do those extra $500 give me?" you will drive yourself crazy.  Set a hard limit and stick with it.  Except for a few specialized cases, more expensive scopes are, in some way, better.  How much better and whether that makes a difference varies  case by case, but there is a reason they cost more and it is not because of the name (for the most part).
- If you plan to hunt with that scope, makes sure it has a reticle compatible with low light situations.  Not all  are.

Now onto some recommendations.

If your price limit is $1500, I would be looking at Kahles KXi 3.5-10x50

If your price limit is $1000, I would be looking at Leupold VX-6 2-12x42, Meopta Meostar 3-10x50, Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44

If your price limit is $500, Sightron SII Big Sky with a HHR reticle is a good option.  The HHR reticle is a bit thicker than their plex and works better in low light.

Now if you are in no rush, wait for Leica ER5 to come out.  It might be worth the wait.

ILya
Skytrash View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skytrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 17:02

I really like my Sightron SIIB. I feel like it is a lot of bang for the buck, but it just wouldn't look right on a custom 3K gun. I'm not a big Leupold fan, but the VX-6  would be esthetically more appropriate on your new beauty .

I wish I was now, what I was, when I wished I was what I am now.
jevyod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jevyod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 18:50

Another one I am looking at is the Leica Er 2.5-10x42.

I thought about waiting for the new Leica, But I do not like there offerings in objective lenses size. Personally, I always thought that a 50+ mm objective puts the scope too high on the rifle to be aesthetically pleasing.

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 19:10
Two words, or maybe it's one...Counter Sniper...

I just saw a gunbroker auction for a rifle with one on it for big money. Zarillium berteoum coatings.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 20:17
Laugh Above
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2015 at 07:20
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

Two words, or maybe it's one...Counter Sniper...

I just saw a gunbroker auction for a rifle with one on it for big money. Zarillium berteoum coatings.

Silly Savage ^ !!! Anyway, welcome to the OT. Sounds like a dandy rifle you have coming. There are many great choices, and you have been provided several wonderful options. I'd encourage you to check out the Sample List also... you may be able to find a great deal on top notch glass.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2015 at 23:18
Counter Sniper...

Visit the Ed Show
jevyod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jevyod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2015 at 09:12
bugsNbows; Hey thanks for pointing me in the direction of the sample list! I didn't know what it was, so I clicked!! Looks like they have some decent deals!
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2015 at 09:29
Welcome, and make no mistake, the Sample List is the real deal.  I got my conquest 4.5-14x50 on it and it is flawless.  The ER5's have me salivating.  I hear you on the aesthetics, but at the end of the day 42mm vs. 50mm is only 1/3 of an inch.  Those scopes look like they are going to give the Conquest HD's and Z5's a serious run.  I'd wait.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
jevyod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jevyod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2015 at 08:41
Right now I am really liking the looks of a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 on Sample List for 750
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2015 at 10:36
That's a smokin' deal. Great glass and function.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2015 at 10:39
I just looked at the sample list.  If it were me, I'd fork over the extra $50 for the lockable target turrets.  Just sayin'.
jevyod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jevyod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2015 at 19:03
Well I just returned from the great outdoor show. A Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 followed me home! I found a vendor that sold me one for 700 out the doorYippee
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2015 at 19:53
Can't go wrong with the Z3.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2015 at 07:16
Originally posted by jevyod jevyod wrote:

Well I just returned from the great outdoor show. A Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 followed me home! I found a vendor that sold me one for 700 out the doorYippee

That's a great choice and a great deal. I put that on my wife's Ruger compact several years ago. Every time she sees me messing with the guns / scopes she comments that I better not be messing with hers! LOL. Congrats.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jevyod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jevyod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2015 at 07:23
Thanks! And forgot to mention it has the #4 reticle. I have always wanted to try one and now I get to!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic