OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MeoTac 4-16x44 Special Mil Dot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MeoTac 4-16x44 Special Mil Dot
    Posted: February/08/2015 at 22:16
Anyone have any experience with this scope?  Seen any reviews or even handled it briefly?

I have done some searching but can't find much of anything on this scope which really surprises me given the feature set and the high regard for Meopta in general.

I am still in the early planning stages for my first rifle, but I am thinking about starting with a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless, putting a nice scope on it, and then eventually moving it into a KRG X-Ray chassis.  I have been a handgun shooter for a while now and have not had a rifle for many years.  I wanted a platform that would be inexpensive to shoot with good barrel life, mostly target ranges from 100-300 yards, take in some tactical long range classes or competitions every now and then (nothing all that serious), and be ready for home defense, mostly from critters in north east US with the black bear being a much less than ideal confrontation but a possible one.  Would eventually move up to a .260 if I decided to get more serious, but wanted to start out with something that my family could shoot with minimal recoil and blast noise, just a nice step up from a .22 LR.

Was curious how this MeoTac would compare to Vortex Viper PST, SWFA SS, and the new Nightforce SHV... or any other suggestions?  I want something that I can leave on 2, 3, or 4x at the most in case there is something roaming around the yard that is not welcome, or for some occasional ventures into the woods, but that would also go up to 12x or more for punching paper.  Also wanted consistent turrets/reticles in either MOA or Mil so I could learn/practice some ranging and DOPE exercises to keep things interesting.  As a hobbyist, it seems like 2nd focal plane makes the most sense for me, easier to see the paper bullseye when cranked up, still the option to range and count on accurate reticle subtensions (no need for pro speed here), and a still easy to see cross hair when shooting predators at short ranges (25-100 yards).  Any ideas or comments for me?

Greggo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2015 at 09:49
...continued...

Is this scope not seeing much action because everyone is now moving to FFP?  Here is the meopta:

and another one I am considering is this nightforce:

The more reading I am doing around here, the more I am becoming convinced that I want 2x or 3x on the bottom end for yard/field work and probably won't be in many situation where 10 or 12x is not enough magnification since the ranges I have access to mostly run 100-300 yards.  If 10x is workable out to 700 or 800 yards (I have never shot further than 300 yards, and that was many years ago), then that pretty much covers my "once in a while" trips for some long range shooting.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2015 at 12:38
One of the drawbacks is the lack of adjustment range. 47 MOA is more inline with a  1" erector. Most 30 MM tube have 90 - 130 MOA . It is as if they have a 1" erector in a 30 MM scope. Quite a cut back for the price point.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2015 at 12:54
47 MOA is a bit tight.

I know nothing of the SHV, but need to take a look.  I have extensive experience with most of the NXS models and a few of the newer, they are tough.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Greggo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2015 at 13:18
Thanks guys! This is definitely an area where my beginner level of knowledge leaves me open for disappointment. I am guessing that you typically get a scope zeroed in at 100 or 200 yards and then that has already eaten up some level of adjustment?  Usually how much, and does this start in the middle somewhere or towards the bottom?

I see that 20 MOA at 800 yards is 160 inches, and that a 55 gr .223 drops 320 inches at 800 yards, so it looks like I would need 40 MOA of turret/reticle travel is I wanted to dial things in for some 800 yard shooting without using a holdover.

Do I have this right?  Roughly what would you consider minimum MOA adjustment/travel in a scope for shooting .223 out to 800 yards?  And at that point would holdover typically work for the rare occasion to take a whack at a 1000 yard target or do most folks run out of view on the scope/reticle to do that?

I checked the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 and it has 90 MOA of elevation adjustment, so I guess that would be more in line with an informed shooter's expectations.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2015 at 14:55
On the rifle, Tikka is a great choice! Also look at the Whiskey3 chassis, I have a custom 243AI in the whiskey3 and love it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2015 at 23:58
Originally posted by Greggo Greggo wrote:

Thanks guys! This is definitely an area where my beginner level of knowledge leaves me open for disappointment. I am guessing that you typically get a scope zeroed in at 100 or 200 yards and then that has already eaten up some level of adjustment?  Usually how much, and does this start in the middle somewhere or towards the bottom?

With a zero MOA base you will be roughly in the middle of the adjustment range. So if a scope has 90MOA of adjustment you will have roughly 45MOA of adjustment left after you zero it at 100yds. You could use a 20MOA base and that would give you roughly 65MOA of adjustment if the scope started with 90MOA of adjustment. A 20MOA base will give you more adjustment, but I would be careful since I do not like to get anywhere near the limits of the adjustment range of the scope.
Greggo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 07:04
Thank you, that makes perfect sense. I guess I will keep my eye on user feedback on the Nightforce and continue to look for other options as well. My plan is to keep the scope options under 1k, so I can get scope, rifle, case, supplies at some point later this year and keep it all under 2k.  Then next year drop it in a KRG W3C or X-Ray depending on how I save up.

I am still not 100% sure about FFP or 2FP, I will keep reading up on that issue as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic