OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help. Why is this happening?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 12:57
Pyro, I was not comparing RL-22 to H4831.  I printed the chart for the very reason you stated and I put at the very top of that entry.  Nosler groups accubond and partitions together where as Hogden seperates them and puts the max for a partition a half a grain higher.  The reason I brought up RL-22 was because I had the same results using it and the winchester primers on lighter target loads.

I reported the issue to winchester.  We will see what they do.

magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 07:06
You really need to start at starting loads for Nosler data.  My Rem. 700 Classic 8mm RM showed pressure signs with R-22, WMR primer and a 180g NBT when I was 3.5 grains below max.  My chrony was showing 3500 fps!  Max charge was only supposed to get to about 3260 or 3270.  I asked around and this was not uncommon.  Same load is still in the Nosler manual.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2015 at 23:35
I bought some CCI 250 primers and loaded up some rounds.  My reloads ranged from the 66.5gr up to the 70.5 in half grain increments.  I loaded up 4 of each.  I went to the range today.  I had no burnt primers and had absolutely no pressure signs even out of the max loads.  

I contacted Winchester thru their website and I have not heard anything from them.  Is there some better way to contact them?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2015 at 23:51
Were the Winchester magnum primers easy to seat ? Are you getting a hard bolt lift with the loads that were blowing primers ? Don't drop to standard primers. Cold temps will decrease velocity (pressure) not increase it. In my 300 Win Mag, I load 76 grns of H4831sc with 180 grn Nosler BT's and I get no sign's whatsoever of excessive pressure. I'm using Federal 215's. The worst brass (case life wise) I've ever used in my 300 was Remington.
Bamadad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bamadad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2015 at 21:11
Could excessive headspace be your problem?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic