OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic ClosedLeupold or Swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 16:06
I've written a few things, none add anything to the topic at hand not already covered, so I deleted them.

That you and yours have never broken a Leupold seems to put your hunting camp and hunting buddies up there with other mystical and wonderful places, placed I have never been but heard about, magical and wonderful places, like imagination land, where everything is exactly what you want it to be.

I have met hunters from imagination land, I avoid them. Or, after a short time in close proximity, they avoid me.

Ergo...

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 16:29
Roll on Floor Laughing
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 17:19
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I've written a few things, none add anything to the topic at hand not already covered, so I deleted them.

That you and yours have never broken a Leupold seems to put your hunting camp and hunting buddies up there with other mystical and wonderful places, placed I have never been but heard about, magical and wonderful places, like imagination land, where everything is exactly what you want it to be.

I have met hunters from imagination land, I avoid them. Or, after a short time in close proximity, they avoid me.

Ergo...

I figured as much.....a page straight out of the liberal retard play book.  When you can't discuss the facts like an adult you attack a guy's credibility, a guy you don't know.    That in itself says a lot about who you are.  The truth seems to be a killer to your ego.  That must suck.    
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 17:32
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 18:55
Deck, you know the two letters that I'm thinking of.

😎    

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 18:58
If not, I can let them be known!

😎

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 19:58
I wasn't going to say it, you asked. Twice.

You frequently offer anecdotes as data, and my signature addresses just that.  That you consider my questioning it a liberal move is interesting.  And even more so, that you think your "truth" in any way impacts my ego, you overestimate your importance to me.

I enjoy people that deal only in absolutes and anecdotes, you amuse me. Immensely.  

Carry on.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 20:44
The liberal move mentioned was the obvious intention by you paint me as a liar, misleading, "mystical", etc.  You know full well what you meant and so do I, a page right out of the liberal playbook no doubt. It's not the first cheap shot you've taken on the forums by a long stretch, so I'm not surprised.         

My goal in life is to be the best person I can be, and not worry about the small stuff like optics and optics forums, and what readers think of what I've actually experienced.  If you don't agree with my presentations based on my field experience then that's fine.  If my experiences are a benefit to some, that was my intention all along.   

Carry on......
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 21:16
So...how about the weather?
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 22:12
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

My goal in life is to be the best person I can be, and not worry about the small stuff like optics and optics forums
... He said on an optics forum.

Some of us have had to worry about optics, some of us have had to spin turrets in the service of our country and others. And, in the experiences of most - but not all - who risked their lives to protect others, Leupold is not synonymous with dependability.

That some hunters love them, I have no doubt. Many where I live drive off-road vehicles like jeeps and hummers on the road all day and wonder why others complain of having issues.

Carry on being the best man you can be.
joshmb1999 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2015 at 22:19
Poker
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 06:43
As an aside....does anybody here know when the new season of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" starts?? 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 07:59
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

My goal in life is to be the best person I can be, and not worry about the small stuff like optics and optics forums
... He said on an optics forum.

Some of us have had to worry about optics, some of us have had to spin turrets in the service of our country and others. And, in the experiences of most - but not all - who risked their lives to protect others, Leupold is not synonymous with dependability.

That some hunters love them, I have no doubt. Many where I live drive off-road vehicles like jeeps and hummers on the road all day and wonder why others complain of having issues.

Carry on being the best man you can be.

I shall......and God Bless you for your service to our great country.  I have the utmost respect for that.  
JG
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 09:00
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

As an aside....does anybody here know when the new season of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" starts?? 

Ditto

Roll on Floor Laughing
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 09:21
As this is, by intention and effort, a friendly forum for optics conversation, I wish to clarify a few things.

First and foremost, to any casual observers or passers-by: this isn't a bullying thing, this isn't "beating up the fat kid on the playground"; however, it is "calling out the kid that says he can do 1,000 1-arm pushups."  Allow me to explain a bit.

There are people who push their gear, because they have to or because they want to.  And I am not espousing throwing stuff around to see if it will break (anything mechanical can break, and on a long enough timeline, will) but using it in environments and circumstances that can lead to failure.  In those circles, especially military and law enforcement, Leupold is well known for 2 things: frequent breakages, awesome customer service when your scope does break.  In all truth, I have done far more classes/trainings/live fire testings where a Leupold DID break than I have where one did not. These aren't bench sessions where you fire at your leisure at a fixed target 100 yards away.  These are "shoot, move, communicate" sessions where stuff happens - as it does in the real world.

Next, my comments on imagination land were in direct reference to this quote:

I've been fiddling around with the CDS stuff for a few years now, in the VX3 and VX6 versions.  I've found them to be reliable and accurate so far.  If you do not like specific yardage dials made for specific loads, just get a CDS dial made up in MOA with a zero stop.   Also, not necessarily with regards to Leupy's with CDS, but with Leupold in general, I've had almost 100 hunters in camp hunting antelope, whitetails, mules, aoudad sheep, hogs and varmints with rifles wearing a Leupold of some variety.  I asks each and every one their take on all their gear.  Not one has reported any problems with them, ever.  These same hunters that show up with L scopes usually wear Swaro binoculars, and have hunted lots of places around the world.  I suspect they have good reason for using what gear they use.    

I hunt quite a bit, too much, my wife might say, and I too have talked optics with many users; and I have no difficulty finding hunters who have had an issue with a Leupold scope (from whence do you think the great reputation for customer service comes?)  Hearing someone tell me a statistical sampling of 100 users, presumed to be world hunters, have experienced 0 Leupold failures would be much akin to having 100 Ford truck owners report never having had an issue/breakage with their truck. Ever.  I don't know for a fact that the statement is false; however, it definitely stretches the fabric of reality - and thus the "imagination land" comment.

The last thing I wish to do is drive users and interested parties away from Optics Talk.  I think anyone reading the vast majority of my posts will find that I try to be as helpful as possible. However, whether a character flaw or otherwise, I do tend to call shenanigans when statements are made that run counter to many years of personal experience.

I do not buy Leupold products, for a few reasons stated many times throughout this forum, nor do I look down on those who do.  I fully appreciate that many use their Leupold scopes with great success.  I didn't call Raider out for liking Leupold, I called him out to be certain anyone wandering in understood that it is highly, HIGHLY irregular to poll 100 users of Leupold optics and find no reports of mechanical failure.  

It was not my intention to derail the topic, it was my intention to point out that Leupold rifle scopes fail, and in some circles, have a reputation for frequent failure.

I shall now return to seeking out shenanigans.

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 11:22
Never said Leupold's never fail.  I said in my experience they have not, and I stand by that, and stand by what my hunters have told me.  My experience only spans 44 years of hunting big game, and guiding hunters for the pasts 12-13 (I'd have to look it up to be certain).  The fact that you don't believe it doesn't make it false....it is not.  99.9% of them are not turret spinners, and I only spin them casually at targets, maybe a hog or 'yote.   I have no doubt a Leupold can fail, they all do, every single make is prone to failure.    

If I were really into the tactical stuff, which I'm not, I'd probably take the advice of my acquaintance/neighbor/premier sniper trainer in the world, of our whitetail hunting ground, last name Hodnett.  If I didn't want to shell out the $$$ for a NF, I'd take his advice and use a Bushy HDMR and a Tikka T3 tactical.  
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 14:14
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

You missed it redneck Started Jan 16 on TLC
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 14:22
Let us agree to the following: Raider and his 100 wonder hunters count as an N=1, and I, with my many first- and second-hand failures (with Leupold, of course) also count as an N=1.  Anyone who wishes may chime in and state their experiences with a Leupold scope.

With that, no one has to keep getting upset that I don't believe the tales of good fortune, or understand why said someone doesn't buy lottery tickets religiously.  With luck like that...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 15:33
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 15:56
How about not?

I think everything useful that needed to be said has already been said.

And on that note, that's a wrap!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic