OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Chronograph info/suggestions needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chronograph info/suggestions needed
    Posted: February/18/2015 at 00:40
Hey everyone, I am looking to get a chronograph to start working up some handloads.  I know little to nothing about them other that they tell you how fast a bullet is going.  What are some good brands/models to look for and which ones to avoid?  I'm sure a bare bones model is all I need.  What features should I be looking for?  My mission is to work up loads for my 300BLK sub/super and my 30-06.  Budget is $200.

Thanks
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 01:08
In your research be sure to check out Magnetospeed.  This is newer electromagnetic technology with really simple user friendly features and quick set up compared to standard chronographs with sky screens.  A friend has one and I have one on my wish list.  We compared readings from it to a Shooting Chronie brand chronograph and both units gave similar readings with several calibers, powders and bullets.  Magnetospeed model choice is based on the types of rifles you want to chronograph.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 01:20
Thanks for that.  I heard that it won't mount to anything over 1" like a suppressor or large muzzle brake.  I will look into it further, though.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 17:01

Originally posted by sucker76 sucker76 wrote:

Thanks for that.  I heard that it won't mount to anything over 1" like a suppressor or large muzzle brake.  I will look into it further, though.

The original version did not, but both V2 and V3 work with muzzle brakes and suppressor up to 2" in diameter.  I have the V2 and have used it with a muzzle break and have let people use it with suppressors while at the range. 

V98 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2015 at 15:27
I use a ProChrono chronograph. It's pretty basic but has done everything I've needed to work up loads for NRA highpower etc.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2015 at 16:32
I use Prochrono too with no issues.

Eagle
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2015 at 17:48

For me, the benefits of the Magnetospeed were worth the extra cost.  I shoot at a private club, but it can be busy at times and I do not have to go down range to set-up or worry about tripods on uneven ground (we have a good slope right after the shooting line).  Additionally, the magnetospeed is not affected by light differences.  The only negative I came up with besides cost is I can't use it during load development because it attaches directly to the barrel. 

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2015 at 19:21
Having used both styles of chronographs I stick by my statement that the Magnetospeed is faster and easier to set up, is not sensitive to light, does not require any equipment on the range beyond the end of your barrel so almost no risk of shooting up parts.  Setting the system up can be done at the bench.  Price is higher but for me is offset by convenience.  Magnetospeed units are too new to know how durable and reliable they will be so that could be a risk compared to less expensive units that have proven long term track records. 
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2015 at 23:25
Thanks everyone for your input!

"The only negative I came up with besides cost is I can't use it during load development because it attaches directly to the barrel."

Isn't load development when you need the chronograph the most?  I understand the benefits of not having to set up anything down range, but if it affects accuracy isn't that a deal breaker?
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2015 at 08:32

It hasn't hindered my load development but you can't use the chronograph to look for pressure signs.  I basically do my load development, I use the OCW method or ladder method depending on the rifles use, and once I have the most accurate load I load up 10-20 rounds and chronograph it.  So in my case, it hasn't been a deal breaker. 

Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2015 at 09:21
Originally posted by cpwomack cpwomack wrote:

It hasn't hindered my load development but you can't use the chronograph to look for pressure signs.  I basically do my load development, I use the OCW method or ladder method depending on the rifles use, and once I have the most accurate load I load up 10-20 rounds and chronograph it.  So in my case, it hasn't been a deal breaker. 

That is what I was thinkin. I load to accuracy and then check velocity. And that more for reference and consistency than any other reason.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 01:43
UPDATE
Thanks For the help.  I finally got a prochrono digital.  It's easy to use and easy to set up.  It works for everything from my air rifle to my 30-06.  I've found that it's one of those things that you can't imagine how you lived without for so long.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic