OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swaro binos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swaro binos
    Posted: February/19/2015 at 12:03
What are your thoughts of rangefinder binos vs those without?
I am considering the el range vs the el. Other alpha glass options like zeiss or Leica?
I currently have leoupold tbx rangefinder and gold ring binos.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2015 at 20:43
The EL range is pretty nice optically, but doesn't have the bells and whistles of the EL SV (flourite objectives, field flattener).  

The Leica HD-B and HD-R (type 402) are the best, optically, of the current combos available.  Very impressive.
-Matt
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2015 at 19:48
SChunter, how do you like your Gold Rings?
Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2015 at 07:33
I have 10x42"s (43?). They offer crisp, clear views. I have hunted South Africa twice. The PH liked them better than his older style Leica. I have been pleased by the quality and clarity of the glass. Yet to see any new leupold offering since that had an equal view. To date they are my best bino purchase.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2015 at 08:50
I've got the 10x42 GR HD's myself for the past 5 years or so.  They are fantastic glass and built like a tank.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2015 at 13:55
I am currently testing Leica 10x42 HD-B and I am extremely impressed with both optics and ergonomics. I do not have the Swarovski EL range here to compare, but based on my recollections I am inclined to pick the HD-B.

ILya
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2015 at 16:00
They're discontinuing the Swaro EL Range anyway, with no replacement announced so that may make your decision easier.   I kicked around the idea of a combined RF/bino many times.  While it would be convenient, I believe the electronics will wear out before the rest of the binocular, then you're left with an oversized, overweight binocular. 
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2015 at 22:09
Absolutely JGR, very well put. I've thought the same thing. And the way technology is headed it could well be that you can buy range finding capabilities with premium glass for much less in only a few years.
Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2015 at 23:08
That is an interesting question. I wonder how many premium LRF bios out there have LRFs that just went and died.

I deal with LRFs a lot for work, and most of the ones I see are likely to still work fine when I retire (and that is not happening any time soon).

They are pretty robust.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2015 at 21:29
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

That is an interesting question. I wonder how many premium LRF bios out there have LRFs that just went and died.

I deal with LRFs a lot for work, and most of the ones I see are likely to still work fine when I retire (and that is not happening any time soon).

They are pretty robust.

ILya,

I have thought about this myself.  I have an older Bushnell Elite 1500 that just keeps turning back good measurements.  It is so reliable that I keep meaning to replace it with something newer and more compact, but never do.

It also seems that most RF binoculars could also be disassembled and repaired if needed in the future.

The optical performance of the new Leica HD-B and HD-R (porro versions) really have me considering this option.  They sure are expensive, but do replace two pieces of kit.

-Matt
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 09:40
Matt,

Unless I am mistaken, HD-R are roofs and HD-B are the new Perger porros.

I am looking at the HD-B 10x42s and when I am done sending them back to Leica will be VERY difficult.

Aside from the optical excellence, the shape of the barrels makes it easily the most comfortable binocular for me to hold of all I have tried.

ILya
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 10:00
You ought to do a search over on 24HCF to elicit responses from the users of that unit.   There were/are several who have some field time behind it IIRC. 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 10:39
Originally posted by Whitefire Whitefire wrote:

Absolutely JGR, very well put. I've thought the same thing. And the way technology is headed it could well be that you can buy range finding capabilities with premium glass for much less in only a few years.
Wf

Yes, and IMO useful optics technology is about as good as it's going to be for a big game hunter.  Any advances in hunting binoculars will be mostly meaningless.   Lots and lots of top shelf glass out there today.  I believe RF technology can still get better and better, while becoming even more affordable. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 13:53
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

You ought to do a search over on 24HCF to elicit responses from the users of that unit.   There were/are several who have some field time behind it IIRC. 

I did.

Most of what I found was you complaining about Leica warranty.  There are a few people who looked at it and most seem to be happy.

I'll be doing more formal testing on the one have, but my experience from a couple of days sitting in the blind with it last week is extremely positive.

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 13:56
Laugh Above
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 15:04
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I did.

Most of what I found was you complaining about Leica warranty.  There are a few people who looked at it and most seem to be happy.

I'll be doing more formal testing on the one have, but my experience from a couple of days sitting in the blind with it last week is extremely positive.

ILya

That's what I get for trying to be helpful I guess.  You didn't look very hard or yo would've found some good info.  
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 15:12
Was that a tacit admission that his complaining was not "good info"?

I have never seen, on these internets, anyone as perpetually butthurt and self-martyred as our Raider.
"One of God's special creatures", he is.

Carry on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 15:27
RC, that's the best you've got?  Really?  A pretty bold statement from someone who didn't even know a "steroid induced" whitetail from the big mule deer we shoot, remember that gem?  I should have known better than to offer help to a couple of egomaniacs like you two boys.  Pretty lame attempt by the midget Russian as well.  

I wasn't referring to my info on Leica's bino/rf combo units, as I don't own one, haven't used one, and don't intend to.  Many other people over there do have lots of time behind them though.  

Butt hurt and self martyred???? Farthest thing from the truth, but then again the truth is usually optional to you.  

Carry on Francis.  
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 15:35
Why did you say..."Midget Russian"?? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 16:19
I am moderately certain that noone has ever called my a midget before.  I suppose some things are new under the sun.

As for the whole Russian thing...

That is moderately irritating.

I am as much of an American as you are JG.  Where I had the misfortune of being born was not under my control and is non of your concern.

As for 24hcf, if you go and search for Leica LRF binos there, likely more than half of the posts are you being a whiny SOB. 

That is a matter of being minimally observant.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic