OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recommendation for a .17 HMR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation for a .17 HMR
    Posted: February/25/2015 at 13:09

I've recently purchased a Sako Finfire II .17 HMR and wish to top it with a good quality fixed power scope that's not too heavy. It will be used for longer head shots on rabbits and hares. I don't need or desire a variable scope as the rifle won't be used at shorter distances. I would have liked something like the older Leupold 12x but they're no longer made. A good 10x scope should do it and 8x if I have no other choice.

Your valuable comments would be appreciated.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2015 at 13:16
Budget and reticle preference?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
10-Ring View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2015 at 13:44

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Budget and reticle preference?

A fine reticle and middle of the road budget. Not S&B etc.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2015 at 13:59
Please define "middle of the road" for us please, Sir. Your road and my road may not be the same, you see. 

How much $$$ and we can better serve you.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
10-Ring View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2015 at 18:55
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Please define "middle of the road" for us please, Sir. Your road and my road may not be the same, you see. 

How much $$$ and we can better serve you.  

Fair enough question. I guess $600 USD is probably around the max I'd spend. I did notice earlier today, contrary to my earlier post, that Leupold still make a fixed 12x; unfortunately it has target turrets which can only get in the road in the field.

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2015 at 01:58
Sightron makes a fixed 10 power in the S III line that is right at your price point.  It has mid height turrets that can be dialed and are lower than the Leupold target turrets.  I have not used this scope.  Sightron glass usually gets high marks for optical quality on this forum.  Having said that, one of the knowledgeable contributors here who tests many scopes of all quality levels once commented he did not feel this particular scope was up to Sightron's normal optical quality standards for the S III line.  Hopefully some actual users will comment on this.  Also check SWFA's sample list and Ebay for older used 8x and 10x fixed power Leupolds many of which had standard turrets.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic