OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope ring reccomendation needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshhooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope ring reccomendation needed.
    Posted: March/04/2015 at 14:27
I'm getting back into rifle shooting after a long hiatus, specifically max distance 308 cal target shooting and possibly some occaisional hunting.

The LOP on my gun seems to require that my scope is all the way back with the rear-most placement of the scope rings. With my current rings the bulk of my rear mount obstructs my view of the turret markings unless I change position specifically to look into the narrow crevasse between the mount and the dials.

Does anyone know of good value ($70 or less) picatinny 30mm mount system without the blocky screw assemblies on the sides or top?

Thanks in advance.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2015 at 14:45
What scope and rifle are you using?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ncshhooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshhooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2015 at 16:16
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

What scope and rifle are you using?

good question, the scope is an  SWFA 3-15x42mm (30mm tube). 

The rifle is a Tikka T3 CTR, it has a 0MOA picatinny rail screwed on to a thinner dovetail on the bolt housing (all factory). I currently have medium hight (15mm btw rail and tube) mounts and that seems about perfect as I can fit my thumb btw the scope and barrel at the rifle's center of balance for lifting/handling one handed.

Another thing I have noticed is that my current picatinny mounts will interfere with cartridge ejection if they are anywhere near the port, so I really want any protruding screws or QD levers on the left side if possible, QD isn't necessary for me but I don't mind it.
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2015 at 16:25
SWFA sells Seekins rings and I highly recommend them. No "nut" on the side either.  
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2015 at 17:10
I like that gun!  I have seen a few mention CTRs, I am a huge fan, own several T3s, just looked up the specs, I need one.  Need!

On rings, Talleys are good, the SWFA rings will work fine too.  On protruding parts: turn it 180 degrees, rings are symmetric, bolt that holds the ring to the rail can go on right or left, makes no difference - just do both rings the same.

Good scope, good rifle, should be a nice setup.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2015 at 17:55
I gotta pick up my ctr from ffl yet this week! Warmer weather finally on the way!
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2015 at 19:55
Badger Ordnance 30mm 1 Piece Ringmount
Badger Ordnance 30mm 1 Piece Ringmount
Stock # - 30662
  • Matte
  • Medium
  • .885"
$149.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2015 at 20:04
In general I am not a big fan of quick detachable. I do have some La Rue LT 719 rings that I like but unless you have a true need to go quick detach the Badger ring mount above would be my choice.  I would call and ask SWFA if it has enough clearance but I'm sure it does because you are working with a 42 mm objective.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic