OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New to Air Gunning- Looking for Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzarkCajun76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Air Gunning- Looking for Tips
    Posted: March/05/2015 at 03:42

I have been an avid hunter nearly all my life.  I have had great success with many different weapons, from .22LR to .223 to .300 WIN MAG to 7MM Mag.  Held the company record for marksmanship for 14 years from basic training using 1911 Colts.  My father was a sniper for the Caddo Parish Sheriff's Dept. SWAT team for 9 years, he taught me most of his tricks, and using his dept. issued Remmington .308, I could place 5 shots in 1 1/2" groups at 400 yds. at 14 years old (on a good day).  That all being said, achieving consistant grouping with air guns has thus far eluded me. 

My first air rifle was a Winchester Model 1250WS .177 Cal. purchased Jan. 2015 at the Daisy Airgun Museum in Rogers, AR.  Price was CHEAP!! Salesman said it was factory reconditioned... yeah right!  I must have shot 5,00 rounds thru this thing, used 12 different brands and styles of pellets from 4.6 gr. all the way to 10.5, and although the 945 fps (10.5 gr.) to 1265 fps (4.6) was impressive, it means nothing if you cant put the round on target.  Each pellet type would react differently with drasticly different characteristics.  My "groupings" ranged anywhere from 6 to 12 inches at only 10 to 25 yards.  About every 15th pellet wouldn't even hit the target.  After replacing scope and mounts, shimming to compensate for barrel droop, thoroughly cleaning the gun and tightening every darned screw the gun had, I STILL looked like a 4th grader with his Red Ryder judging by the targets.  On a hunch, I grabbed a straight edge and started checking.  I found approx. a 1/64" bend in the barrel!  I knew it would never be true, so I immediately scrapped it.

I needed a replacement, and in fear of the wife's review of the checkbook, I knew I had a shoestring budget.  I picked up the Beeman Silver Kodiak X2, including both .177 and .22 cal. barrels and a Beeman 4X32 scope at Wal-Mart for just under $100.  I am fairly happy with it so far considering my recent nightmare, but I KNOW I can shood better than this.  I have only used Crossman Premier 10.5 gr. Ultra Magnums, 7.9 gr. Premier Hollow Points and Premier Super Match Wad Cutters in .177, and Crossman Premier 14.3 gr. Hollow Points in .22 at about 25 yards and I can at least group to within 3" in .22 and about 2 1/2" in .177. 

I hace never had this much trouble with accuracy.  I know that my gun is capable of much better.  I spent 3 hours just watching videos and reading reviews about that model and teanage kids who aren't even old enough to drive are showing up this 40 year old guy!  It has to be something I am doing wrong, and one thing I've learned over the years is that when you've exhaused all of your own resources and have not succeded, your better off to retreat and call for reinforcements.  I need some pointers here!

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God." Matthew 5:9
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 07:24
Guess ya get what ya pay for. I only have one air rifle... it's an Air Arms TC200 (short BBL). Tis a shooter no matter how lousy I perform. Of course, it wasn't cheap and has a great trigger and very good scope.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
OzarkCajun76 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzarkCajun76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2015 at 07:31
That's true. I've been shooting already this morning with the .177 barrel in the Beeman Kodiak X2 and I am impressed. I also watched a few videos on technique and there were some things I was doing wrong. Major improvement.
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God." Matthew 5:9
rash_powder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rash_powder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2015 at 07:02
Have you tried the artillery hold?  

Spring airguns like to bounce around and such when you fire them.  To get repeatable results, you have to hold the rifle as lightly as possible.  Don't firmly pull it into your shoulder, only enough force to keep it stable; and hold it at the center of balance so that you don't need to grasp it.  Your trigger hand should only touch it enough to all trigger pull.  You want it to be able to freely hop when you fire it.  

I have two RWS rifles, a 350 magnum .177 and a model 48 .22.  My form isn't the greatest but I can get quarter size groups at 10 yards.  These rifles are capable of more, just my form sucks.  

It will also take several tins of 500 to get the gun to wear in and settle down.  

Keep practicing and it will work out. 

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic