OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss HD5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss HD5
    Posted: March/19/2015 at 17:20
Now that the HD5 scopes have been out a while, what's the opinion on them? I have a 3-9x40 conquest on another gun and love it. Thinking the 2-10 would be great on my 06 later this summer.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2015 at 19:55
Howdy 03mossy,
I'm thinking along the same lines, or maybe stepping up to a 3-15x side focus model. Otherwise, I personally have no experience with the Zeiss, to be able to answer your question.

In addition, the new HD5 appears to have some competition in the Minox ZA5 HD and the Weaver Super Slam lines. I'd also be interested to know how those two scopes stack up vs. the Conquest HD5, if anyone has tested them together.
While the 3-15 Weaver comes with side focus, and that's probably a necessity at that high a magnification, both the Zeiss and Minox lines have 3-15 models without it. The Weaver also has what look like great turrets for a hunting scope. If the glass is at least as good as the old Conquest MC glass, it would be a great scope choice.

A .30-06 has enough power to benefit from a 15X magnification, but most of my hunting doesn't require it and a 2X on the low end would sure be sweet, for fast action, close- in shots, making the 2-10 a contender.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2015 at 20:07

I have experience with the Zeiss Conquest scopes. 

I would go slow with anything Weaver in comparison.  I have not tried a

Weaver, but have no desire.  I have not seen where they have anything

that would be in that price point.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2015 at 20:34
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

I have experience with the Zeiss Conquest scopes. 

I would go slow with anything Weaver in comparison.  I have not tried a

Weaver, but have no desire.  I have not seen where they have anything

that would be in that price point.

I own/have owned several of the older Conquest MC line and they were all fine scopes. I don't know anything about the new HD5 Conquest. Besides the obvious erector and turret changes and different lens coatings, there has also been mention of changes in manufacturing, particularly component sourcing, which could also be a consideration.
The other scopes mentioned are alternatives at different price points. Little has been written in the forums about any of those three scopes, but I am curious about all of them.
The only Weaver I have is an antique K 2.5 model from the 60s, still kicking.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2015 at 21:32
You'd be surprised at how good the Weaver SS is considering the price you can get one for.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2015 at 00:06
Weaver fan here. Have a super slam euro 4-20x50 and I would put it up above elite 4200 and any Nikon I've looked through. Compares favorably so far with others above it's price point, at least to my eyes. I have meopta, minox, sightron s3, Leupold vx-3, conquest and more for reference, and with some of the deals on weaver ss I will get another when need arises. Lot of bang for the buck.

Have not seen an hd-5 yet myself, so sorry just weighing in on side topics OP.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2015 at 02:37
03mossy,
I apologize for knocking your 2-10 Zeiss query off the fairway a bit. Since no one with any experience with the HD5 has chimed in, I've done some research through the OT forums and found some interesting discussion, so here's what I've found and I hope this makes up for talking about the 3-15 model and even other brands. I'm sure some knowledgeable guys will come along sooner or later.

Paraphrasing what's been said: "the HD5 glass is a step up from the Conquest MC and noticeably better than Leupold VX3 and has been compared to VX6 glass, though not quite Alpha... the Meostar glass is slightly better than the HD5...The 2-10 could actually benefit from a side focus, since it has focus set at 300 yds...some don't like the physical weight/length of the HD5, but not a consideration for others... the T and Lotutec coatings on the HD5 lenses are a big plus and finally, there may be some fall off of sharpness near the edge of the image (which really isn't such a big deal)"

Also, the HD5 may actually be mostly made in China, with eyepiece assembled to the scope in Germany.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2015 at 06:25
No need to apologize Alan but thanks for doing so. The other scopes you brought up are also ones I am looking at. And your last paragraph in your first post is exactly my thoughts as well. Plus I would really benifit from the wide field of view in the 2 power for the thick woods I hunt.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2015 at 15:44
How do the Minox ZA 5 hd scopes stack up to the others mentioned?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2015 at 17:01
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Also, the HD5 may actually be mostly made in China, with eyepiece assembled to the scope in Germany.

I would be very surprised if that were the case seeing how the Terra series is made in Japan which Zeiss openly states. The Zeiss Terra binoculars are made in China, again as they openly state. I am surprised too that there hasn't been a whole lot of talk good or bad about the HD5. I was seriously considering the 2-10, but decided to get the Leica ER 2.5-10x42 instead. From everything I've read so far about the Leica, it appears that I made the right choice.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2015 at 22:31
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

I would be very surprised if that were the case seeing how the Terra series is made in Japan which Zeiss openly states. The Zeiss Terra binoculars are made in China, again as they openly state. I am surprised too that there hasn't been a whole lot of talk good or bad about the HD5. I was seriously considering the 2-10, but decided to get the Leica ER 2.5-10x42 instead. From everything I've read so far about the Leica, it appears that I made the right choice.

Roy, I'd be very surprised if Terra riflescopes are built in Japan, but perhaps I am just a skeptic.

ILya
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2015 at 08:19
Terra scopes from Japan, Terra binocs from China.  There have been numerous posts on the subject on various forums, some from Zeiss employees.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2015 at 09:22
Head honcho Michael Jensen of Zeiss NA confirmed that over at the 24HCF.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2015 at 09:58
That's what Zeiss told me (Terra scopes - Japan, Terra binos - China) in an email inquiry I sent them about a year ago as well.

I can't speak for Ilya, but I think where his skepticism lies is in the fact that in today's world, the statement "made in..." doesn't mean a whole lot today. There are very few products made entirely in one place anymore. What exactly qualifies a product to be considered "made in ____" anyway? Final assembly? Manufacture of the major components? How much % of manufacture of the product must occur in a given location before it's considered "made" there?

Leupold used to proudly advertise "made in USA" on their scopes, and they used to print that on the outside of their box. They don't anymore. Zeiss had "made in USA" on their Conquest scopes, even though it was only assembled in the US, with German and Czech component parts. I have Swarovski AV 3-9X36 and 3-10X42 scopes that both say "made in Austria" on the tube, but I'm pretty sure at least assembly of those scopes were done in the US. Or, maybe they only started doing that once they changed the name from "AV" to "Z3."

The point is, the standard for what's considered "made in ___" is pretty loose, and most companies don't reveal or don't tell you the whole story on who and where they outsource stuff. It's pretty well-known that some companies are very deceptive or out and out lie about where their products are made. Couple that with the fact that, again, very few products have all parts made entirely in one locale, and Ilya's skepticism is understandable, especially given the Terra scopes' retail price.

I'm not suggesting Zeiss is lying. They may very well be 100% truthful about the manufacturing origin. Or, maybe they aren't technically lying, but they aren't telling the whole story. We will never know and can only go by what they say and the label on the product says. In the end, does it really matter, as long as the product satisfies the customer at the price paid?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2015 at 10:25
One thing I noticed about the new 2-10 HD5 specs is that the eye relief is 90mm (3.54"). I think the best of the old Conquest MC scopes was the 3.5-10x44 which had 3.5" eye relief, which I found to be much more comfortable and forgiving than the 4" eye relief of the highly regarded 3-9x40 Conquest.

disclaimer: This comparison of eye relief specs is meaningless without actual comparison of the scopes. The eyebox will be different than on the older Zeiss, regardless.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
silvrjeepr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvrjeepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 11:48
My unscientific opinion on my 3-15x 50 hd5 compared to my 3-9 x 40 conquest:

• To my eyes the 3-9 x40 conquest is a touch clearer.
  • When put side by side, my HD5 is MUCH brighter than my 3-9 at the same magnification at low light. Either will take you past legal shooting hours though.
  • Tracking on both is spot on.
  • Bank account willing, I wouldn't hesitate to own another of either of them.
  • I haven't really compared the field of view between the two as they're both adequate for my needs.

On a side note, the HD5 is mounted on a rem700 with a 26" magnum contour stainless barrel and I can see the blurred end of the barrel at the lowest power. It caught me by surprise on the first hunt as it isn't very noticeable until sunset. Since then, I just don't go below 4 power and it's not an issue to me...

Hope this helps...
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 13:49
Thanks Silvrjeepr that info helps!
Jonny BeGood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny BeGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2015 at 10:02
Hi Everyone !

This is my first post on this site.
I like it a lot, there is many many good reply about scopes over here !

I'm from Montreal, Canada area, we don't have too many long shots available here.
Most of the area is developped, eastern north America is compacted, while western is open country.
So for me, hi power riflescope is more to see my holes in paper...
Because on hunting situation, it's always set on minimal power.

I am planing to buy a Weatherby in 257 Weatherby Mag and top it with a Conquest HD5 5-25x50.
It will be used for coyote, deer in cornfield and caribou ( up north in James Bay area ).
If not, i'll buy a Leupold's VX-6...

I do own two 5x riflescopes, both are Weaver Super Slam. I just LOVE this 5x factor.

My first one is a 4-20x50 EBX, topping a Remington 700 XCR-II, 338 RUM rifle.
I can say, it's a solid scope !  Moving a 300 grain bullet at 2800 - 2850 fps, means heavy recoil.
It has shot around 500 rounds actually.
It's 1/8" per click, wich is great, but clarity is on the low side.
It's pretty clear, but not sharp as expected from a Leupold's or a Zeis'.
As Long shots on moose can't be done in low light conditions, this doesn't bug me too much.
It's a day time setup and in day time, it does the job !

My scond one is a 2-10x42 SuperSlam that i just purchase to top my muzzleloader.
I didn't test it yet, as i bought it two days ago only.
Actually, i can say it is much sharper than my 4-20x50 ! When i look outside by a window.
I relied on Randy Wakeman's review to buy it. It seems to be as expected, per review.

I was a Bushnell's buyer, till i bought two defective ones. Elites 3200 and 4200, not tracking properly. So i began to switch to other brands. I bought a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 for a 308. It's real clear and sharp, i'm amazed !  I bought a Zeis Conquest MC 3-9x40 to top my Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 and oh man ! That's a scope !  I love it so much !  I will eventually buy a Conquest HD5 in 3-15 to top my Rem 700 BDL in 300 win. mag. and sell the Bushnell Elite 4-16x50 topping it. I also plan buying a Leupold's VX-6 in 3-18 to top my 700 BDL in 7mm Rem. Mag. and resale my other Bushnell 4-16x50.

I discovered why prices are higher...
I don't like to pay that much, but love the result they gave me !
So slowly i'm switching my scopes.
But for now, i wish to see review of the Conquest HD5 in 5-25x50, as it will be my next purchase !

eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2015 at 19:28
I have owned them both (much more of the Conquest MC) and I prefer the good old Conquest MC. I initially bought my HD5's for the hydrophobic coatings but my eyes prefer the plain old MC. I sold the HD5's but have kept all my Conquest MC. Maybe I just had a few not so perfect HD5's or something. For some reason the clarity was worse on my HD5's at higher magnification and I also thought the eye box was more sensitive at higher magnification on the HD5's.
My least favorite of the bunch was my 5-25x50 HD5. I never could get comfortable behind it especially in the higher magnification range.

Both are solid scopes no doubt but I prefer the Conquest MC even without all the extra features.
matt79 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2015 at 10:01
Hey I just joined the group because if this post. I have the HD5 5x25 & I really enjoy it. I just bought a Swaro Z5 5x25x52 BT & I think I'm sending it back. Doing a side by side in low light the Swaro is brighter & clearer in low power but once you get to 12 the eyebox gets extremely finicky. Maxxing both scopes out I give the advantage to the hd5. Not sure what I'll get thinking about the vx6 4x24x52 or nightforce nxs 5x20x56.. Any suggestions?? Oh my background I'm ex Navy live in TN & my setup is a Remington 700 7mag.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic