OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Prismatic vs other scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WIlliam1964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prismatic vs other scopes
    Posted: March/22/2015 at 02:45
Hello members,  I'm new here obviously and already have a question for the group.  I have attempted to find the answer to this question here as well as many other places around the 'net to no avail.  Can someone please explain the difference between a prismatic scope and a "non-prismatic scope" for lack of a better term.  I see some scopes described as prismatic and others not.  What is it that makes a prismatic scope different?  Please don't just say they contain a prism, that much I feel I can get, but please help me understand why they are better (as many people / sites say they are) or are they not better across the board but instead only in certain circumstances?
ekpugh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekpugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2015 at 06:44
From Luepold

The Leupold® Prismatic™ optic gives you the fast target acquisition and accuracy of a non-magnifying red dot sight. But unlike red dot sights, the Prismatic features an etched glass reticle that’s visible with or without its removable Illumination Module, or even batteries. Whether you’re a tactical user clearing a building, or a turkey hunter looking for a non-magnifying optic, the Prismatic is ideal in any situation where the action is fast and close.
WIlliam1964 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WIlliam1964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 01:45
Thanks for the info.  I seem to recall having read that before, probably quite some time ago as I searched for an good answer to my questions concerning these optics.  It certainly answers some questions and prismatic optics.  Maybe it's just me, but as I read that it doesn't tell me why I would want one.  It says it gives me the same fast, etc...etc....  So my question is what makes a prismatic scope superior to other types?  I understand that in this example it has an etched reticle, but I have seen other scopes with that feature and that are not prismatic scopes.  I guess my question is, in a scope for very long range shooting (600 yd+) is a prismatic scope superior and if so why?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 07:21
IMO, no. Prismatic scopes are generally utilized in short range applications where magnification isn't necessary (or desired). There are many very good scopes out there for long range shooting (600 yards in your example).
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 14:10
Some scopes contain a prism in them instead of the conventional erector system.

The advantage of that is compactness.  it allows for a very compact overall design.  Examples of scopes with prisms in them are are Trijicon ACOG, Elcan Spectre OS, Hensoldt ZO, Leupold HAMR, Leupold Prismatic, etc.

Prism-based scopes typically have fixed magnification and the magnification is not very high.  Making variable magnification designs with prisms is very difficult.  You see a few dual magnification scopes ,like Elcan Spectre DR, but that is largely it.

Leupold Prismatic is a 1x scope that is robust, compact and works jsut fine without batteries owing to conventional etched reticle.

It largely competes against red dot sights, which are non-focusing sights.  Hence, you can co-witness the iron sights through a red dot.

The Prismatic is a focusing sight, so though it is 1x, it is not a collimator and you can not cowitness with it.

That is the downside.  The upside is that you can have a great variety of reticles in it and it works great without a battery.

Lastly, some people due to astigmatism or other eye conditions can not use conventional red dot sights or holographic sights wince the aiming point does not present well.  For them, the Prismatic is a good option.  it also give you a focusing eyepiece, so you can adjust for vision irregularities.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic