OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Funky reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shootwhat?! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funky reticle
    Posted: March/26/2015 at 12:00
I have an older rifle scope.  3x9 rubber covered with factory camo.  The eye and objective lenses are round.  The reticle looks as though a wide view has been turned on it's side making it a "high view".  This is not a busted reticle.  This was done intentionally.  The adjustment dials all correspond and are active.  I called the Leupold LE and Military dept. and one of the old timers (please forgive if the research goes to this person!), he remembers that Redfield, while it was in the hands of an Asian company, made this modified scope with this reticle set-up.  Do any of your people have any more about this scope?  Purpose and name of it would help as well as the tube diameter since the rubberized coating increases it.  No other info on the scope.  The reticle seems etched, but I am by no means an expert.  I am trying to decide whether it is worth keeping with my other older Redfields or not.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 15:21
Some photos would help us help you.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 16:22
I say throw it in the cabinet with the others and make up a good lie to tell your buddies.  Add Scotch they will believe you.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Shootwhat?! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shootwhat?! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 17:54

OK.  New to this.  Using Mac.  Trying to post pics.  A little help?  Thanks!

HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2015 at 20:09
With the rubber outside coating on the scope, it would take a special factory-made ring. If you don't have the rings, you can usually use a set of 30mm rings, and add some shim stock or grip tape to take up any slack. I did this on an old rubber-armored Simmons scope, and had no problems for yrs.

BTW, from the camo rubber-armor description, it sounds as though you may have an old 3-9x40 Simmons, Tasco, or Bushnell. It was a common scope in the '80's.
Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shootwhat?! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2015 at 06:48
Still trying to figure out how to post pics.  The scope has 1/2 moa at 100yds.  Has the basic woodland camp pattern you would have found in the '80s.  Built pretty well with clear optics.  It is the way the reticle was installed that stumps me!  If it is a Simmons, fine!  But why the "high view" positioning of the reticle?  I checked with Chuck Hawks, he has no information on it.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shootwhat?! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2015 at 06:50
Oh!  Thanks HuntMaster for the ring size, if I ever mount this, I will probably use it to shoot tree climbing vermin and varmint!  I will be able to see the whole tree, top to bottom!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2015 at 08:06
You need to have 50 post before posting Pic's. It is apart of the forum rules.
     I have an older BSA 2-7 Sweet 22 that has a rubber armored finish. It works in regular rings. Fits snug but holds tight. With age the glue that holds on the rubberized wrap is starting to let go of the finish. It has been fine for a cheap marked down scope. The Armored finish was a short lived feature with BSA.

Edited by 3_tens - March/27/2015 at 08:19
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2015 at 08:11
The forum software is configured so that you cannot post pics until you have at least 50 posts.

If you wish to post a photo, send me a PM and I can post it for you.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 16:13
The OP asked me to post these photos for him:

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 16:21
Armour coated I guess... looks like it's wrapped with a sleeping bag! LOL  Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 20:11
Hey Shootwhat?! Welcome to OT. Go ahead and stump us, we're used to it.
Here's an interesting link about a "wide field of view" Tasco, etc. Comparing pics, yours is not that model Tasco. That power ring does look a lot like vintage Redfield and my guess is that the oldtimer at Leupold knows his stuff.
Might as well turn it on it's side and have a "widefield". It would sorta work just the same.
http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/vintage-redfield-tasco-widefield-4x32mm-scopes-west-tx.239441/

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 22:12
It is an old ( mid- '80's ) Simmons. I have one just like it as posted above. Poster is holding the scope wrong, it is, in fact, a wide-field view. Kinda like a TV view.
 They had a sticker on the ocular end of the scope that had " Simmons 3-9x40 Wide-view". they were not marked otherwise.
 I am no fan of Simmons, but they were pretty good old scopes to put on an A-1 or A-2 style AR.
Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shootwhat?! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 23:16
Being the genius that I am (general smirks accepted), I took the analytical approach.  Compared the views of both the Redfield and Tasco non-armored pics and have concluded that the degree of rounding of the widefield corners of the Redfield is identical to my armored scope.  I also agree with the HuntMaster that Tasco made the armored scopes in the '80s.  Since the only other option is to rip the coating off and pray that the engraving is there to tell us the truth, I will opt for faith in Ron's judgement over truth and keep the scope as is!  But, the mystery still goes on.  The scope was being held correctly (I have two Redfield Widefield scopes, 2x7 LoPro Accurange and 4x post.)  The reticle (reticle) on this armored scope is mounted in there completely in line with the dials and functional to the correct dials.  One theory could be that someone had Redfield do this to satisfy a specific need for visually targeting high (what or why?).  Or, this is a custom left hand widefield scope requested by a Redfield customer and Redfield did not change the dial indicators to the proper position.  So, Ron, you welcome the stumping?  Let OT run with it!  I wil keep this scope and put it on my SKS which would serve it well.  The armor should help protect against the errant ejections.  I will also pick the brains of Iron Sighter, who, have great knowledge of the old Redfields.  You OT guys rock!  I will be back with my outcome at Iron Sighter!  
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 08:21
Simmons for sure.  The tube was one inch but the rubber added to it and the rings were unique to it.  It is not really a "Wide View", it was a gimmick they used by putting a baffle in the scope cutting off the top and bottom of the view to achieve the famous look of the Redfield Widefield.

If the elevation is on the top and the windage on the right and the reticle looks like it is pictured then the baffle was installed 90 degrees off.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 20:49
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Simmons for sure.  The tube was one inch but the rubber added to it and the rings were unique to it.  It is not really a "Wide View", it was a gimmick they used by putting a baffle in the scope cutting off the top and bottom of the view to achieve the famous look of the Redfield Widefield.

If the elevation is on the top and the windage on the right and the reticle looks like it is pictured then the baffle was installed 90 degrees off.

This......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic