OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What happened to my Nightforce?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happened to my Nightforce?
    Posted: March/30/2015 at 22:03
OK after braking  Leupies, I mounted my NIB NF 2.5x10x40mm Compact on my 378 WBY .  A couple of shots later I get this.

What do you figure happened?   What is this stuff?   Every  shot they would jump around!   Very disappointed....  :( 

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 22:12
It's most likely just some loose anodizing from the inside of the scope tube. I have had that happen to several scopes over the years. Bang the scope on a phone book a few times. Often it will come off the lenses and stick to the tube.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 06:48
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

It's most likely just some loose anodizing from the inside of the scope tube. I have had that happen to several scopes over the years. Bang the scope on a phone book a few times. Often it will come off the lenses and stick to the tube.

Good suggestion. Try this first. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 08:22
Thanks guys
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 10:32
It could also be tiny machining burrs from sharp corners of parts that were removed when components were threaded or fitted together. Despite how weird it sounds, quite often, slamming the scope against a surface that doesn't mar the scope finish (like a phone book), as suggested above will knock the tiny objects off the internal lens surface and take it out of the focal plane so it won't be visible anymore. If it doesn't go away, then I would send it back to NF, but different people have different tolerance levels for slight imperfections.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 10:41
It's broken, I'll give you $100.00 for it.Big Grin

Send it back to NF and let them clean it out, that would drive me crazy.
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 19:49
Talked to NF  They want it back ASAP.  They sent me a 2 day air voucher.  It is debris.
637mase View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 637mase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 20:24
Fotis, just curious, what's the distance of the shots? And what'a the size of the target? 

Thanks 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 20:58
Good deal, Fotis. I'm just OCD enough that I would've sent it back to NF too, even if I could remove the debris from view with the "bang it on a phonebook" trick. I'd always be wondering where these little pieces of debris wandered to inside the scope, even if I never saw it again, and that would bug me from that point on.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2015 at 17:15
Originally posted by 637mase 637mase wrote:

Fotis, just curious, what's the distance of the shots? And what'a the size of the target? 

Thanks 

I was shooting at 100 yds (25 MPH winds from 270*) and this is what she did

250 TTSX though.  113 gr of H4131  gave single digits SD and this is what she did at 3115 fps.

Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2015 at 17:17

637mase View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 637mase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2015 at 21:46
I have to say, "that's damn impressive" Both... the shooting and the rifle. Excellent 
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2015 at 10:13
Thank you sir!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2015 at 11:03
Mighty purty "Bee" ya got there! Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic