OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 357 Lever Action

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 357 Lever Action
    Posted: March/31/2015 at 11:24

Hello all,

I’m Looking for advice on scoping a 357 lever action. (I enjoy shooting iron sights but eyes really aren’t up to using irons on live game at first and last light)

So, what I’d like to do is mount a nice, short, compact optic that I can put in a QD mount so I can pop it off and use the irons down the range for plinking and put the scope on it when I want to take it out hunting.

My initial thoughts were a fixed 4x~32 but then I started looking at the shotgun specific scopes ( probably not going to take any shots beyond 75 or 100m anyway)

Any of you guys got any scope mounting and optic recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 11:50
Just to be different, how about a Burris Fast Fire III. A 3 MOA red dot should be readily visible and usable at your stated ranges. If that doesn't float your boat, how about a Trijicon 1-4 X 24. What is your budget???
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 11:54
Something like this would be right up your alley. These were made in Japan and may still be, but I'd check first. I know some models are Chinese made now. They are compact, lightweight and reliable.

You'll have to let us know what rifle its for to recommend a mount. 

http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P2864.aspx
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 14:07
Hello folks, yes I'd also wondered about a red dot sight.

Not bought the rifle yet. Probably will be a Marlin 1894 but possibly a Winchester 94 AE.

I did wonder about a 1-4x20 optic as would be definition have a relatively high objective for clearing rear sights.

And what do people think about maybe mounting something like a nice, light handgun scope? Or would the eye relief be too long?

ATB,

Scrummy
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 14:09
This was something I wondered about:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/shotgunmuzzleloader-scopes/vx-1-shotgunmuzzleloader-1-4x20mm/

ATB,

Scrummy
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 14:10
I have a Marlin 1894 and have a Sightron 1.25-5x20 on it.  Great fit for it IMO.  I have a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20mm on my Marlin 1895 45-70 and it is a great fit as well. 

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 14:18
Hey Scrummy,

If you want something for 1st and last light, it wouldn't hurt to get the thickest reticle you can find and/or the best glass you can afford. A lit reticle might help, too. I've got a little scope with a heavy German #4 reticle that is visible way after dark and after some of my thin- reticled expensive scopes give out.  Heavy duplex reticles are nice, too. Of course, many scopes will get you through legal light w/out issue.
If you're looking at Leupolds, check out the VX-Rs, as mine with a #4 firedot is lightweight and superb in low light. Only issue would be you might not want to take it off the rifle.
There are some trick little 1-4x AR- type scopes out there w/lit reticles, too.

ruck ruck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWa_lHc4grY
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 14:30
Originally posted by Scrumbag Scrumbag wrote:

This was something I wondered about:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/shotgunmuzzleloader-scopes/vx-1-shotgunmuzzleloader-1-4x20mm/

ATB,

Scrummy
That Leupold shotgun scope you listed would be great with the heavy duplex. It only weighs 8 oz.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 14:35
Supertool, thanks for the advice on the sightron.

Alan, I fully hear you on the Duplex / No. 4 type reticles: all my scopes have them.

Traditional, but they work. Much like my rifles, only really interested in designs closely linked to the Paul Mauser or John Moses Browning orginals...

I like the take on the Scottish haka, though being Welsh I'm just interested in winning Cool

ATB,

Scrummy
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 16:51
Scrummy,
Years ago, I'd mounted a 2x Leupy pistol scope on a Mauser in the rear sight mount- a scout scope, today. It was very fast aiming on target, but changed the rifle's balance a bit, making it heavier up front and you give up a LOT of field of view, etc. Don't think I'll have another "scout" arrangement.
Sorry for not seeing your inquiry earlier, or that you are from London. It's rare to find anyone over here that's played the sport. Our coach was a former All Black and we had fun kidding him. Had I seen that you were in the UK, I might not have posted that link. Wouldn't want to give you the idea that US Scots are just as blustery a bunch o' scrappy hardheads over here as they are over there. Your response typifies the way I've come to see the Welsh- they don't make any bones about it, just get 'er done.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 17:05
Alan, no problem, I thought it was pretty funny!

I know what you mean about Scout Scopes. Not my thing at all. I don't worry about me Scot baiting, I work in the oil industry, I get an over dose of scrappy hard heads. Wish you lot had beaten the Irish this year though...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic