OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski BT question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski BT question
    Posted: April/02/2015 at 10:08

Question for those that have experience with the Swarovski BT. 

I wonder how durable it is (the actual turret on top)?  Meaning, could you knock off the entire turret accidentally very easy?

I'm going on a horseback hunt and wondered if the scabbard could potentially damage the scope turret.

Edited by muleymaddness - April/02/2015 at 16:48
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2015 at 10:48
Originally posted by muleymaddness muleymaddness wrote:

I wonder how durable it is?  Meaning, could you knock off the entire accidentally very easy?

Can you restate the question?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
muleymaddness View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2015 at 16:47

Haha - that's hilarious (and embarrassing).  I didn't even read what I wrote and I'd just got off the phone with Swarovski, so it was almost like I was just continuing my conversation.

I'm talking about the ballistic turret on top.  I have the top screw screwed in tight, but there is still a bit of movement to it and it got me to thinking, could you accidentally knock this entire turret off if you weren't careful?

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2015 at 17:58
Anything is possible in a horse wreck.  Fixed power and low capped turrets are your best bet with a backup scope or second rifle sighted in and ready to go.  Most scabbards will be well salted so stainless and synthetic are recommended.  If you are carrying a fixed blade knife on your belt your safest bet is a Kydex sheath and may be mandatory depending on your outfitter.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2015 at 12:43
Muley, no problem, I just wanted to be sure I answered the intended question, not something else.

The ballistic turret on that scope is indeed a weak spot, and riding in a scabbard would cause me some concern too.  I agree with rainman that low capped turrets would be a far better solution. 

What is the rifle?
At what ranges will you be shooting?

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2015 at 12:48
It's a Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag.  I expect shots from 200-600 yards.  Yes I know a BDC type reticle would work, but it sure is nice to be able to dial it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2015 at 13:01
Is the scope already in hand?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2015 at 13:14

Yes sir it is.  I could always sell if I think there is a better option - I'm not afraid of that.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2015 at 11:20
I have a BT on a Swaro 2.5-15x56.  I like the function and design for the most part, but I did break it once.  Swaro fixed it for free, but I would really prefer a full metal version.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
bowana View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2015 at 21:55
That's strange. I own 3 Z6i and 1 Z5i BT Swaro scopes. Spent 5 days on horse back near Craig, CO last fall with the Z5 mounted on a custom 700 with Krieger barrel and McMillian stock w/Jewell trigger. I don't baby my rifles......but I do keep the scope protected unless on foot in the mountains. Never throw a rifle in the back of a truck, jeep, ranger etc. Secure that rifle in a scabbard! TAKE THAT FROM EXPERIENCE. I've messed up a couple of good Leupold's that way. Totally my fault. 
WHY?......Because I can!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2015 at 20:31

So then you've had good luck with the BT and never had any issues?

matt79 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2015 at 05:00
Muleymaddness which swaro do you have. I just received a z5 5x25x52. I love the clarity in low power but the eye box seems awful finicky from mid power up. I have a Zeiss HD5 5X25X50 & it seems to be better in that aspect but its also mounted & the swaro isn't. If I don't like it I can return it as long as it hasn't been mounted. Any one experience this issue w/their swaro's? Also on your original question muley would it be a better option to send off for the laser etch turret instead of the 3 ring system?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2015 at 08:28

The finicky eye box when comparing to the Zeiss is because you don't have the scope mounted.  Once mounted, your issue with the eye box will become a non-issue.  I have Z5 3-18 and it's solid all the way up to 18.

Yes, I'll probably get two different turrets for the scope - one at one elevation range and another at different elevation ranges.  I live in Texas and hunt here and also hunt at 9k or so every year out of state.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic