OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Psssst….turkey season is here or about to be.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Psssst….turkey season is here or about to be.
    Posted: April/09/2015 at 01:56
April 20th for me; can't wait, but must.  Was spreading fertilizer on some clover this week, and ran 3 gobblers out of a plot.  If you haven't tried turkey hunting, please consider it; what else do you have to do in the Spring?
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2015 at 05:11
May 1st in NY. I'm ready, tick clothing and all!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2015 at 07:48
Just started here in Texas last Saturday.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2015 at 07:50
Well Skylar, pics?

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2015 at 07:53
Skip, you know me better than that. Unfortunately I haven't been yet. I have a couple irons in the fire I'm tending to right now, hoping to try and go here within a couple weeks though.
I'll keep you posted.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2015 at 08:18
Good luck my friend.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2015 at 19:13
Have fun hunting.
By the way, your clover is a legume. It has bacteria at it's roots that absorb nitrogen for it. You really don't need to fertilize clover. Plus, with all the rain in the last couple of weeks, your fertilizer is already running down the nearby river, where it feeds bacteria and it harms fish. Save your money, save the labor, and save the river. Also, nitrogen is all you need for that clover. Your clover multiplies and spreads through root growth. You don't need to worry about seed production, like in a corn field. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_fixation

Edited by anweis - April/09/2015 at 19:24
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2015 at 22:59
I used to do a lot of spring turkey hunting. Then Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. canceled the turkey season in the counties where I hunt because they weren't seeing the growth of the census numbers and harvest numbers at check stations they were expecting. I still see quite a few turkeys on my hunting property, but I can't hunt them. Really bums me out! I miss turkey season!

Good luck this season, Dave!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2015 at 23:00
...and Skip!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
daveco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2015 at 07:52
anweis, you don't need nitrogen on soybeans, either, but you still need to fertilize them with potassium and phosphorus, just like clover.  Fertilizer can consist of N-P-K in different ratios, depending on what you are fertilizing.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2015 at 16:58
These pics are from a week ago today. Yes, the day BEFORE the season opened. Opening morning, a cold front blew in and screwed everything up. Ive been hunting them hard since then, turned down a lot of Jakes. Haven't seen anything I care to shoot yet. Ill be out there again tomorrow, rains supposed to be here around lunch.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2015 at 17:02
That looks like central Texas with the Cedars, Mesquite, and Live Oaks. Belton perhaps?
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2015 at 18:15
You're only a few miles off. This is just East of Gatesville.
daveco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2015 at 20:05
Nice!  Hope you get one before the rain comes.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2015 at 11:20

Today was our opener. Went to a spot blind this morning (had not scouted it yet) because the landowner was concerned that going to my first pick might effect his hunt. No problem, I wouldn't want that either. Legal shooting was 6:37 so I was set and ready by 5:50. That included clearing the briar mesh by the tree I had picked and getting the decoy where I wanted it. I was 5yds off the field edge (winter wheat) with good cover all round and the decoy about 10yds in the field . At 6:05 I saw a ghost like figure moving about 30yds beyond the decoy and my first thought was deer. But it didn't move like a deer so I eased the binos up and it was a pretty good sized yote. He was being real cautious and he may have seen me raise the glasses. I could only make out a blob in motion with just my eye but I got the shotgun up just incase he got close enough. He moved off to the left and I didn't see him again. I did notice another one further back but that one also evaporated. Now I'm wonderin "am I gonna see any birds out here or not. Decided to stay with it. About 6:50 I heard some fly down about 50yds at my 3 oclock but who knows what they might be. Watched that area for a good while but nothing shows up. Sittin and sittin some more, watching the crows and listening for any encouragement. Finally hear a couple gobble off in the distance but too far to hear any callin I might do. 7:15 I decide to make a few short purrs for effect, No response. Hear a few gobble again off a ways, maybe alittle closer but not sure. make a few purrs again at 7:45 still no response. Keep checkin my 2 and further right so I don't get caught off guard. At 8:05 I catch movement to my right and it is a bird cutting thru the woods headed my way. A jake takin a line about 15yds in front of me toward the field and 4 more behind him. "Please be a shooter in the pack" as I watch them file past. Jake, jake, jake, jake, jake. Man!! the last one had about a 4" beard stickin straight out. They hit the field about 30yds down from the decoy and when the first one saw it he ran straight to it the others right behind. I put the bead on the last one twice but just couldn't pull. High hopes that something worth while might stop by but it didn't happen today. Tried to stay until 9:00 but the back and legs said it won't happenin. Don't know if I'll try that spot again but, if I do I'll have the AR with me incase those yotes want to venture thru again. Not a tag day but not a waste either. Any of ya'll filled a tag yet?? 

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2015 at 22:47
Except for three hours at mid day, I was at it hard from dark to dark. It sucked. I heard maybe three gobbles all day long. It's the same area I shot the pictures in, and is full of turkeys. I've turned down several Jakes already. They were just completely inactive. It may have hit 70 this afternoon but was in the low 60s most of the day. I suspect that was the problem. The rain held off other than some light drizzle. Forecast now says rain tomorrow, not sure if I'm going or not. Right before dark I saw a good sized boar cut through some brush down in a low spot. All I had with me was my shotgun though. Hope y'all have better luck than I did.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2015 at 10:22
I saw a turkey a couple of weeks ago run across the road somewhere out there....maybe Hico.....
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2015 at 10:27

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2015 at 10:44

I saw a Thompson Center scope in a pawn shop in Gatesville several months ago.....

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2015 at 10:49
Bouncing around today Ed?

Hico, Waco, Thompson Center scope what next?

Laugh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic