OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

At what yardage should I zero my .22wmr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At what yardage should I zero my .22wmr
    Posted: May/01/2015 at 22:49
Hi
I'm still pretty new to shooting and hunting and don't know many who are experienced . I need help figuring out where I should zero my .22wmr with 4-16x40 scope. I'm shooting cci maxi-mag 40gr JHP . Has you can probably tell with this setup I bought this to hit small game and varmint from near to far away I estimate from about 15 to 150 yards. Not sure it will be much effective past that but please correct me if I'm wrong. Any suggestion where I should zero it or how to figure out where to zero for my needs would be appreciated. Thanks
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 08:08
What size is the kill zone of your target critter? What's the sight height of your scope? CL of scope to CL of bore. All of this will effect making a good shot at the stated distances. Your real world shooting is probably the best method to determine your zero needs, in reality 50 yards is probably a good start. Not knowing your terrain you hunt. Then get out a shoot a target 15 yards then 100 yards. You'd be surprised at your findings. It will not be easy at hunting conditions.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 13:36
I would zero it at 100 yards and then shoot the rifle at various ranges to see where you are at those ranges.   
Visit the Ed Show
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 17:45
I see where your coming from Edwardo but the first line of his post is what gives me pause to tell him to stretch it further than he more than likely can hit a little critter. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Steelbenz - May/02/2015 at 17:54
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 17:59
I am interested in what people think the BC is of 40gr 22wmr bullet
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 18:05
Maybe down in the low.2s. It's not going to be that flat. I'm wondering what his MV would be also.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 19:26
Not even that good, Steelie. Best case is between .12 - .13 (G1). No rimfire ammo of any kind I'm aware of even breaks .15.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 19:34
A reasonably accomplished shooter with an accurate .22 Magnum bolt gun or semi auto with premium 30 grain .22 Magnum ammo is capable of killing Prairie Dogs out to 300 yards and adult ground squirrels out to about 200 yards.  We have been doing this every summer for the past 10 years using scopes with ballistic reticles and range cards developed from practice and range time.  Accuracy with .22 Magnums can be problematic but good rifles with ammunition matched to the guns and appropriate magnification that can group around 1 MOA at 100 yards are fully capable of the above.  Two of us spent the better part of a day at the range last week with two CZs, two Volquartsens and a suppressed 16" Savage, all in .22 Magnum and we were reliably calling shots on the 300 yard berm.  Wind can change everything and often does where these critters are found so take along some center fire rifles as well.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Shooter01 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 19:36
I have problems with squirrels, ground hogs and the occasional coyote . Might take a grouse every once in a while. Haven't tried it but was told .22wmr with take down coyotes if not to far. Hunting in fields and some thick woods. I would like to be able to answer you're questions so you can better help me but being a newbie I don't know or not sure what all the terms mean. Sight height? CL? BC ?MV? Hope I don't come across has a idiot but wasent raised around this, all new to me. One thing I think I know is I'm at least a descent shooter been taking that stuff down with iron sights so far and a .22 LR just not has far has I would like, why I bought a magnum and scope. Thanks to everyone for the help by the way I appreciate it.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 19:38
^^^Yep!

I've brought along some .22LR, .22WMR, .17HM2, and .17HMR to several PD shooting trips and it's a hoot to air them out. I think around 300 yds or maybe a shade further is the longest confirmed hits we've had on PDs.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 19:45
Originally posted by Shooter01 Shooter01 wrote:

I would like to be able to answer you're questions so you can better help me but being a newbie I don't know or not sure what all the terms mean. Sight height? CL? BC ?MV? Hope I don't come across has a idiot but wasent raised around this, all new to me.

No problem, friend.
Sight height is the height of the centerline of your optic above the centerline of your barrel bore.
CL = center line.
BC = ballistic coefficient. BC is a mathematical variable that represents how aerodynamic a given bullet is, which determines how rapidly it slows down in flight and how affected by wind drift it is. It is a number that determines how efficient the bullet is. You use that number in ballistic calculators along with other variables like muzzle velocity, density altitude, zero distance, sight height, etc. to get your drop and drift values at various distances. It's a very important number to know for long distance shooting.
MV = muzzle velocity...how fast your bullet is traveling when it exits the muzzle of your gun.
Ted

Shooter01 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 20:04
So sight height is basically distance from middle of the barrel to middle of the scope right? When it comes to ammunition I don't have alote of choice rimfire ammo is hard to find where I live never any anywhere special .22wmr. This is what I know about my ammo and I'm shooting Marlin xt-22mr rifle with bushnell banner cf 500 scope.

22 Win Mag Maxi Mag AMMUNITION

Maxi Mag # 0024
CALIBER     BULLET WEIGHT (GR)     BULLET TYPE     BOX COUNT
22 Win Mag     40     JHP     50

Velocity, ft/sec
MUZZLE     50 YARDS     75 YARDS     100 YARDS
1875     1574            1438                    1319

Energy, ft-lbs
MUZZLE     50 YARDS     75 YARDS     100 YARDS
312                220                   184                155

Trajectory if sighted at 100 yards
25 YARDS     50 YARDS     75 YARDS     100 YARDS
0.1                      1.0                           1.1                       0.0
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 20:33
for a new shooter I would work on fundamentals at a range, on paper, and build up a range card for your rifle/ammo combination and work your way out to that distance.  again just me.  I've seen friends ring a 2 MOA steel gong at 400 yards with a .22 but their not new shooters.

As for the BC of the .22 I just don't mess with them much didn't really think it was that high but was willing to give it a benefit of a doubt.   
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 20:46
I was saying for PBR development of Mil range and drop
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 21:30
Me too.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 21:32

So sight height is basically distance from middle of the barrel to middle of the scope right?

Right
Ted

Shooter01 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 22:26
What does that change ? Once it's zero to xx yards bullet should be whatever height for whatever distance considering the ballistics of the ammo no?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2015 at 09:11

What does that change ? Once it's zero to xx yards bullet should be whatever height for whatever distance considering the ballistics of the ammo no?

Sight height over barrel of course has no effect on the bullet's flight path. What it does effect is the angle your line of sight and the bullet path converges. Think about it this way... since your sight is always some distance above the bore centerline, and therefore, the bullet always starts its flight path below the line of sight...when you sight in your rifle, you are adjusting the crosshair to cause the bore to angle upward slightly so the bullet's path rises then falls in an arc. The bullet crosses the line of sight at some short distance as it arcs upward, then falls and converges on the line of sight again at the distance you zeroed the rifle. The angle of convergence between the line of sight and the bullet path affects how much drop compensation you must use to make the bullet's flight path converge on the line of sight at the distance you're shooting. Therefore, if you are using a ballistic calculator, it is an important variable for knowing how much drop compensation you must use in the scope to aim dead on at a distance beyond your zero distance. 

If you just plan to zero your rifle, shoot stuff within your max point blank range, and never make any drop corrections to shoot at extreme range, your sight height doesn't matter, except to the extent you want it the correct height for proper cheek weld/sight alignment. 

I hope the above makes sense. 
Ted

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2015 at 10:49
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Sight height over barrel of course has no effect on the bullet's flight path. What it does effect is the angle your line of sight and the bullet path converges. Think about it this way... since your sight is always some distance above the bore centerline, and therefore, the bullet always starts its flight path below the line of sight...when you sight in your rifle, you are adjusting the crosshair to cause the bore to angle upward slightly so the bullet's path rises then falls in an arc. The bullet crosses the line of sight at some short distance as it arcs upward, then falls and converges on the line of sight again at the distance you zeroed the rifle. The angle of convergence between the line of sight and the bullet path affects how much drop compensation you must use to make the bullet's flight path converge on the line of sight at the distance you're shooting. Therefore, if you are using a ballistic calculator, it is an important variable for knowing how much drop compensation you must use in the scope to aim dead on at a distance beyond your zero distance. 

If you just plan to zero your rifle, shoot stuff within your max point blank range, and never make any drop corrections to shoot at extreme range, your sight height doesn't matter, except to the extent you want it the correct height for proper cheek weld/sight alignment. 

I hope the above makes sense. 

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2015 at 11:03
Laugh
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic