OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best under $1000 bino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best under $1000 bino
    Posted: May/23/2015 at 06:50
Looking for new 8x binoculars for deer hunting in the south east. Low light performance is a must. So many choices now days. I have been researching so far the:

Zeiss Conquest HD
Minox HG
Steiner Peregrine XP

I am open to other suggestions if there is a better option. Thanks for any help!!
cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 09:14
Found a pair of Leica Trinovid's at $1000 too.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 09:24
Meopta hd
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 10:15
The best $1,000 binocular to be had is the new Maven B2.  Tell me all about the Zeiss, Vortex, and Meopta at that similar range.  The B2 is a better glass and won't be pushed off the stage by any binocular on the planet.  It is big (maybe too big for you), but excels at low light work.  Mine is 9x45.  I also have the 8x30 Maven B3  brightest 30-32 mm class glass I have much experience with.

Differences at this level are there, but generally harder to find.  While I can easily pick the Maven on a side by side, the differences are slight.  For instance, if I already had either a Zeiss Conquest HD or the Meopta HD, I'd likely not upgrade to the Maven.

Edited by Klamath - May/23/2015 at 11:14
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 12:19
Steve, thank you for the heads up on the Mavens.  From the spec sheet they look great and the "customizable" feature is great.  Audubon, one of my "go to" reviewers for binoculars, says they are the best new thing on the market.  High praise.  
Thank you, again.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 17:26
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

The best $1,000 binocular to be had is the new Maven B2.  Tell me all about the Zeiss, Vortex, and Meopta at that similar range.  The B2 is a better glass and won't be pushed off the stage by any binocular on the planet.  It is big (maybe too big for you), but excels at low light work.  Mine is 9x45.  I also have the 8x30 Maven B3  brightest 30-32 mm class glass I have much experience with.

Differences at this level are there, but generally harder to find.  While I can easily pick the Maven on a side by side, the differences are slight.  For instance, if I already had either a Zeiss Conquest HD or the Meopta HD, I'd likely not upgrade to the Maven.

They seem quite interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. What do you think the difference will be between the 8x42 and the 9x45 in a field environment? Also, they give a no fault warranty... Do you worry abou them going out of business being so new to the scene? Have you done side x side comparisons. Once again Thank you!
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 18:21
Originally posted by cropslx cropslx wrote:

They seem quite interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. What do you think the difference will be between the 8x42 and the 9x45 in a field environment? Also, they give a no fault warranty... Do you worry about them going out of business being so new to the scene? Have you done side x side comparisons. Once again Thank you!

Down the page here a little bit is my review of the 9x45.  Also here is Frank's review of the B3 8x30.  I have had them side by side with the 10x42 EL SV. See the review for the details.  A review is posted at 24 someplace too. Yes the Maven is in that class.  Not all will be able to accept that, and that is certainly understandable, what with the Swarovski name being well established and Maven being the new kid.

I guess the first line in my review answers the question you pose about them being new.  It seems a worry about anybody going under these days.

The big difference in the field environment is size. If you are packing a lot, it will get heavy at the end of the day.  That is one reason I decided to bite on the B3.  That is a one, two binocular set up that will do anything that can be done with handheld binoculars. The B2 is big, a bit over an inch longer than the Maven B1 for example.  I have not seen the B1.  I zeroed initially on the 94% light transmission of the B2, and because I have always liked the 8.5x configuration.  It will take some time for the idea that you have a $2k binocular in your hand that only cost half that to sink in your head, it sure did me, even though the B2 elicited a very rare (for me anyway) WOW when I first looked through it.  I decided there was no way it was going back.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 21:46

Looking for new 8x binoculars for deer hunting in the south east. Low light performance is a must. So many choices now days. I have been researching so far the:

Zeiss Conquest HD
Minox HG
Steiner Peregrine XP

I am open to other suggestions if there is a better option. Thanks for any help!!

Between those three, I would pick the Zeiss.  I have owned three Minox binos, and they have all been exceptionally poor performers.  So much so that I will never buy one again, nor will I recommend a Minox to anyone I would not consider an enemy.

I have also owned for a short period time the Peregrine XP.  It is a honking big binocular with a fantastic build quality, but it was not as sharp in the central area as a Zen-Ray ED2 that I owned at the same time (the XP was to upgrade over the ED2).  I could not believe it when I first noticed it, but many SxS comparisons over several days confirmed my initial evaluation.  As central sharpness is something I greatly value, I sent the XP back very quickly.  Since the XP, I have also tried out three other Steiners, and all of them had at least several things about them that made them anywhere from very poor to average at best performers.  I won't go into detail on these others in this reply, unless you just really want to know.

Therefore, the one I would pick is the Zeiss.  We have the 8x32 Conq. HD, and really like it.  I have not tried a 42mm version of the HD, but I know I would sure pick it over the other two.

As for other suggestions -- I haven't used a Maven yet, and probably won't until they have been on the market for a while.  As for suggestions other than Maven, I would say to try to find the new HD version of the Leupold Mojave, or get a demo Zen-Ray ED3.  An ED3 will give you performance that rivals the Conquest HD, while costing much less.  Much as I like the Conquest HD, I feel that an ED3 (and possibly the new Vanguard Endeavor EDII) is a better buy as the Conquest/Peregrine does not provide a substantial leap in performance.  Either will get done for you what a Conquest HD/PeregrineXP will get done, and you can save the great amount of money for an alpha (perhaps a Maven) that will provide a substantial leap in performance.

cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 09:23
Thank you everyone!!! The Maven is tempting me and probably order one this week when I get home from the beach :) After reading your view and others it seems like A LOT of glass for the $$. The places I hunt I don't have to walk miles or even a mile so the 9x45's wouldn't be hindering especially be sometimes in a tower stand when they would be sitting on a shelf until needed.

Once again thank you for your help!!
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 20:43
I doubt you will be disappointed with that binocular.  I had a hard time believing what my eyes were telling me.  Enough different folks have looked at it by now with totally positive reactions that the reality is settling in.  The side by side with the Swarovski SV EL should have told me what I needed to know I guess.

I have decided to order a  couple of more B3, one in 8x30 for use in the ATV, the tractor, and swather and a 10x30 for those days where a small 10x has its place.
Steve

cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 18:32
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

I doubt you will be disappointed with that binocular.  I had a hard time believing what my eyes were telling me.  Enough different folks have looked at it by now with totally positive reactions that the reality is settling in.  The side by side with the Swarovski SV EL should have told me what I needed to know I guess.

I have decided to order a  couple of more B3, one in 8x30 for use in the ATV, the tractor, and swather and a 10x30 for those days where a small 10x has its place.

Klamath

I ordered a demo pair of 9x45's from Maven. I called and spoke with them. SUPER nice folks and VERY helpful. I was told some more positive reviews in some reputable magazines will be coming out soon.

I am stepping up from my 2006 pair of Pentax 8x43 SP's. Thanks for the referral!!
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 18:48

Klamath

I ordered a demo pair of 9x45's from Maven. I called and spoke with them. SUPER nice folks and VERY helpful. I was told some more positive reviews in some reputable magazines will be coming out soon.

I am stepping up from my 2006 pair of Pentax 8x43 SP's. Thanks for the referral!!

Well, that is a step up.  You are right they are really nice.  Knowledgeable and helpful as well.  What I like is the fact they inspect everything before they ship.  Keep us posted.  Hope you don't think I'm nuts Big Smile.
Steve

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 22:27
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
rj112275 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rj112275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 05:10
I bought a pair of Meopta Meopro HD 8x42 to evaluate. They are very impressive. Clear, sharp, good color representation, and priced well below $1000. Ergonomics are good and the focus wheel is smooth. In my opinion, these are winners when compared to Nikon, Zeiss and Vortex in the $1000 range. Only beef is with internal reflection/glare when in the right circumstances. Otherwise, save your money and get a pair of the Meopta HD.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 08:54
I've been wondering about the new Meopro HD's, and I'm not surprised that they would be a very good bino. We have a 6.5x Meopro, and I am impressed at the quality of it's construction and overall view for what was a very low retail price. It's too bad that they did not continue with a 6x or 6.5x HD version..........
kkokkolis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kkokkolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2015 at 04:07
I was persuaded that Zeiss Conquest HD is the best under 1000 binocular and bought that in 8x42. Using it I think it might be. 
But I might try the Maven for a 8x32 after all that I read. Is 10x32 equally good?
Konstantinos
dw0229 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2015 at 11:12
Done a comparison of the Conquest HD to Viper HD to Monarch 7. Thought the Zeiss was the winner until I looked through the Trijicon HD by Meopta. Bested all I looked at to my eyes. Fantastic binoculars and a bargain !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic