OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First time buyer advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time buyer advice
    Posted: May/26/2015 at 23:32
I am looking into buying my first spotting scope. I have narrowed it down to a few choices.
A Celestron Ultima 80 with 20-60 mag
A Redfield rampage 20-60X60
A Barska Gladiator 20-60X90
Or a Leupold SX1 Ventana

I will mainly be using this for sighting in rife scopes. If you know of any other scopes in this range that are more bang for you buck I would be glad to hear them.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 07:30

Celestron, generally, makes pretty good stuff, but in that price range... not so much.  The one you are looking at, really and truly, is about a 100 yard scope. 

Redfield, I don't know, but probably close to Celestron.  Not bad...

Barska... I have one... barely adequate and not pleasing... looking through it is always a chore... I would not purchase another, even though I got a "great deal" on this one... only $29.99.  It wasn't worth it, really.  Over time, I've tried to tell myself it is OK for the money, but I always lose that conversation.

Leupold... used the 12-45x60 in Iraq and was really not impressed.  I'm sure the SX-1 would be less impressive. 

One, in the lower price ranges, recommended to me is the Konus Spot 20-60x80.  I've not used one, but have heard pretty good things about the scope "for the price". 

Some people like and use spotters more than I... you'll probably get a lot more responses soon.

A spotter is really, normally, a fairly high dollar item... you want to see fairly small holes at fairly long distances... maybe that's why I like .458's and 50BMG's so much.

Welcome to the OT.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 10:44
I also have heard good things about the Konus 20-60x80 spotting scope. I've heard the glass is good, but the scope itself is not as robust as others. I've never looked through one, but there was a high power shooter over on the Hide that was a big fan of the Konus for the money.
What distance are you sighting in at? If it's at 100yds then a decent 20 or 30x60 will be sufficient. If it's like 300yds or more, then your going to need some quality glass.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Commander72 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2015 at 21:57
Thanks for the advice. I am presently shooting mainly 223 at distance. Most of my local ranger do not go over a 100 yards the longest around 300. But from your comments it may be best for me to save up some money to buy a better scope. What are some of the scope you would recommend for me to save for. Also, I just spent the money I had saved up for a Zeiss rifle scope that was on sale at my local sporting goods store.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2015 at 22:52
Celestron is your best out of those.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 06:04
If you can do some "hands on" comparison, it would be good.  

If you can wait for a bit and save a bit, the Zen-Rays are very highly rated:

Zen-Ray 20-60x82 Prime HD Spotting Scope

Stock # - ZENPRIMEHD822060
  • 20-60X WA Eyepiece to deliver truly amazing image
  • 2nd Generation Extra Low Dispersion (ED) Glass: Best in Class resolution, chromatic aberration free image
  • Aspheric Lens Technology to enable Edge to Edge sharpness
  • Fully Broadband Multi-Coated Lenses: 99.7% transmission at every lens/air interface
  • 2nd Generation Dielectric Prism Coating
  • Oversized BAK4 prism: high density optics with ample optical illumination for maximum brightness
  • CrystalView Lens Coating to repel water and oil from the objective lens and eyepiece
  • Dual Focus Speed: coarse focuser allows less than 2 turn from close focus to infinity, whereas fine focuser allows precise focusing control
  • Mg Alloy Body
  • Waterproof/Argon charged for fogproof
  • Twist-up/down eyecup with generous eye relief to accommodate glass wearers
  • See Through Carrying Case
  • Extendable Sunshade to reduces glare and protect lens from adverse weather condition
  • Rotating Tripod ring to allow flexibility in positioning the spotting scope
$1,150.00

A guy at the range I sometimes use has a Bushnell and it is very clear and clean.  He has a Zeiss as well and the last time I was at the range, got to look at both.  For the price differential the Bushnell was Very impressive.
You should take a look at this one:

Bushnell 20-60x80 Legend Ultra HD Spotting Scope
Stock # - 786081ED
  • Angled Body
  • ED Glass
  • 2-spd Focus
  • Rainguard HD
$509.95
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 10:49
http://swfa.com/Pentax-20-60x80-ED-Spotting-Scope-P4400.aspx

This is the spotter I use, and I have no trouble seeing .30 cal. holes at 300yds. The Zen-Ray that Kickboxer recommended and the Vortex Razor 20-60x82 would all be good choices. Anything less may be a gamble on seeing .223 holes at 300yds. Also consider that the atmosphere will have an effect on how well you can see and a quality tripod helps too.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 18:18
I have to recommend shoot and see targets... Glass cannot conquer all...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
NW425 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NW425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 01:19
I would agree on the shoot and see targets, at 100 yards I can see .223 caliber holes with great definition even with a 4x simmons scope. 
NW425 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NW425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 01:20
Still cant edit, but there are ways to make your own if you find them expensive..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCOVlwZM9K0

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic