OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Who knows V-Max vs Blitzkings??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who knows V-Max vs Blitzkings??
    Posted: May/27/2015 at 07:06
Our country (and I think America) has run out of 243 bullets. I have been throwing stones for the last 3 months, but cannot keep doing this.

So..... I have been using 243 70gr Sierra Blitzking and 70 gr Nosler Ballistic tip at 3900 ft per sec.

The closest I can find is Hornady V-Max 75 gr or Hornady Varminter 75 gr.

The Sierra and Nosler are very accurate. Who knows if the V-Max is comparable ?????

Any help much appreciated.

Edited by 8shots - May/27/2015 at 07:15
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 07:38
I've used Blitzking and V-Max in .204 (39 gr BK, 32 & 40 gr VM), .224 (50, 55 gr both), and .243 (70 gr BK, 75, 87 gr VM).

In .204, I slightly prefer the Blitzking

In .223, I've found BK & VM shoot pretty equivalent in my guns, but shoot more 50 gr NBT than either.

In .243, I've had good accuracy from both, but prefer the heavier & sleeker V-Max.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 12:06
Thanks for info. I am shooting 6mm RemAI. 1 in 14 twist barrel..I will give the v max a go and hopefully it is a good replacement. I just hate messing with a good recipe.
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2015 at 15:48
Uncle Willie told me ; 'Some ammo is better than no ammo,,,'
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2015 at 06:12
And then I went to buy the V-Max, only to find that the shipment of Sierra's had just arrived that very morningYippeeYippeeYippee
Armyboy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2015 at 07:08
My only beef with the Vmax isn't the bullet -it's the seating plug in some older dies. They were cut for other bullet shapes and can damage Vmax bullet jackets in the seating process.
Shooting a rabbit just above the tail with a 22-250 usually results in a full gainer...
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2015 at 00:01

I also have a 6mm AI but with a 1-8 twist. I have been able to maintain my stock of 87 VMax bullets that this rifle shoots very well. I also shoot 105 Amax bullets in the same rifle.  I have shot some 105 grain Hornady hpbt and Nosler and Barnes 105 Match Burners also all are good shooters.

I also shoot the 40 grain .204 Vamx in a 1-11 twist, .204 Ruger and 53 Vmax in a 1-7.7 and 75 Amax in a 1-7.7 all shoot very well in a .22-.250.

Since I am able to maintain my stocks of Hornady bullets with the red plastic tips and get them cheaper than Sierra's I see no reason to change.

I just might try the new Sierra 69 grain tipped (green tip) .224 match king thinking it might expand better than the 75 grain .224 Amax.

As far as the seating plug goes I replaced the seating die plug in my Hornady seater with a Amax type plug. Same for the 6mm seater. Drilling the bottom/top out of the seater stem/plug avoids contact of the plastic tip inside the stem/plug.

Occasional use of the 70 grain Berger .224 VLD shows some jacket damage or rings and might require some seater modification.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2015 at 06:23
Thanks for all the feedback. If I get stuck again, I will try the Vmax

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic