OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR15 1-4 or 1-6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NW425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR15 1-4 or 1-6
    Posted: June/09/2015 at 16:01
Hey everyone, 

I just finished up a new AR15 build. 

Essentially, it's a 1-200m gun that I will use for possible HD/Small Varmit hunting. I have a LONG dirt driveway (over 750m), so I'd like to be able to engage to at least 200, maybe 300 but rarely. 

I was considering a red dot, but I'd like the versatility of a variable power optic and if sh*t ever did hit the fan, not having to stockpile batteries. 

I spent a little more on the build than I should have... So I am hoping to get either a 1-4 or 1-6 WITH a mount for around $250-300 max. 

Things that I consider when buying an optic 

• Optic + Mount Ability to Hold 0

• Clear enough glass

• Value for my $

I generally stay away from Primary Arms Sightts because I had a bad experience when buying their 2.5x compact sight. 

I have been looking at several choices as of right now. 

PA 1-4 Illuminated...(PA14x) I like the price on this, and the illuminated dot at the center. Could I then close the front cap and use it like a red dot for HD? I think so.. But I'm not too sure on the quality. 

Bushnell 1-4 PCL... I like the idea of the rat tail to quickly change mangification, however, the turrets don't have locks on them and if this is in my truck/bag, I don't want them to spin and get off 0 

Vortex Crossfire II 1-4 V-Brite

The PA 1-6 (PAPS1-6X)

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6... Also SFP and a bit out of my price range right now but I could consider holding off on buying a few weeks.. 

If I'm going to spend over $300, I might as well just save for the meprolight21, a sight that I have always wanted but never wanted to pony up the $500+.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 17:29
If you want to stay on a tight budget, you will get a much better optic by not getting something with all the bells and whistles.  Keep it basic.  A 2-7x or 1.75xish hunting scope would be a good choice.

Personally I would get with this one.  [url]http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P78365.aspx[\url]
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
NW425 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NW425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 18:15
Thanks supertool.

However that optic is out of my price range.

Also, I dislike the target turrets. I want to zero it a 50 yards and then it'll hit anywhere from 25-250 MOT (minute-of-torso ;) )

I also want it to start at 1x because I want to be able to use it as a red dot type of optic for CQB possibilities. 
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 19:35
I had a Burris mtac 1-4 that I thought very well of. Very simple, good reticle, and crystal clear.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 20:03
The Hi-Lux Leatherwood 1-4 CMR is a great budget scope and SWFA sells it with a mount for $329.95 or there is a used one on The Sample List for $250.  I like mine, purchased from The Sample List, and it has worked well on a three AR s and I initially tested it on a .45-70 Marlin for about 100 rounds with no issues. Though it is Chinese made the factory is allegedly owned and controlled by Hi-Lux and it has a lifetime warranty.  The company has been around for quite a while. 
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 20:47
None of the scopes you mention are worth buying in my opinion.

Inexpensive scopes keep on getting better, but they are not quite there yet.

The least expensive 1-4x24 scopes I typically recommend are Leatherwood HiLux CMR4 1-4x24, SWFA SS DM 1-4x24 and Vortex PST 1-4x24.

All are in the $400-$500 range.

If your budget is in the $200 range, you should be looking at conventional hunting scopes rather than AR-specific scopes.

The simplest of those is Weaver V 1-3x20. 
I have a lot of mileage with this one and it is a surprisingly decent scope.  

Next step up is Nikon Monarch 1-4x20.

I'd look at those two.

ILya
NW425 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NW425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 05:25
I'm really leaning toward the PA1-4 still...

That price of around $170 included an extended mount and shipping is a big turn over over a $350 (CMR, Mount, and Shipping from SWFA).

I know the saying "buy once, cry once" but I'm also really limited on funds right now.

I'm not too much of a "scope snob" but I want something that is going to work..

So torn right now.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 08:54
Good luck.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 08:57
None of the comments are about scope snobbery.  The simple truth is that some scopes promise lots and deliver little.  MANY AR scopes are bought for how they look on the gun, none of the recommendations made fit into that category.  There are limits to how inexpensively a scope can be made and still be rugged enough to survive.  

Scopes are kinda like cars in that some are made to be genuinely badass, and some are made just to look badass - think Toyota land cruiser vs Hummer3: one can traverse African deserts and ford modest rivers, the other looks like it can but actually has problems with uneven lanes and potholes, not to mention terrain where there is no roadway.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 16:53
I had an H3 biggest PoS ever.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2015 at 21:51
Swift 1.5-4.5.  I have one on my AR and have had it on 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39.  Works great.  No illumination.  It is one of the best values I have run across.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
NW425 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NW425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2015 at 01:01
I wound up buying the PA1-4... It comes in tomorrow.

I know the CMR or any other scope would be a great value and much better than what I bought, but being a college kid who doesn't mooch off of his parents, I have a very limited income right now and this is just a range toy.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic