OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Let the jealousy begin.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let the jealousy begin.
    Posted: July/11/2015 at 11:34

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 11:42
Oh baby....That's sweet! 

.45/70? 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 11:50
It is a Shiloh Sharps 1874 Montana Roughrider in 45/70.  32" heavy half barrel.  I didn't go with the fancy wood or anything like that.  Added the sights I wanted (Montana Vintage Arms globe front and rear).  If you custom order from Shiloh right now it is a 2 year wait (used to be 5 years).  They are great to work with and build a great rifle.  It is run and operated by guys that are about to retire.  Pretty sure these rifles will only go up in value.

And speaking of Quigley, I shot in the Quigley shoot here in Montana June 20-21.  One of the most fun shoots I have ever done.  I had to shoot my 45/70 guide gun because it was the only rifle I had at the time that qualified.  People were amazed I could hit anything with it.  Out of 611 shooters, I finish mid pack, but was told by most people that I did really really good for my first time and with the rifle I was shooting.  Can't wait to go back with this new one.  They do shoots every month down there (3 hours form me), so I will go practice.  

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 12:15
Did you order that one....or did you just find it?   
Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 12:17
Very nice!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 12:23
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

And speaking of Quigley, I shot in the Quigley shoot here in Montana June 20-21.  One of the most fun shoots I have ever done.  I had to shoot my 45/70 guide gun because it was the only rifle I had at the time that qualified.  People were amazed I could hit anything with it.  Out of 611 shooters, I finish mid pack, but was told by most people that I did really really good for my first time and with the rifle I was shooting.  Can't wait to go back with this new one.  They do shoots every month down there (3 hours form me), so I will go practice.  

It's because your a MARINE. Marines
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 14:09
Drew, that is fantastic...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 16:40
Very nice. Drew!!!! Shiloh Sharps rifles are uber nice! I also really like the Dakota Little Sharps too. I've had a bit of a Sharps itch that hasn't gotten scratched yet.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 16:44
Yes, very nice Drew. A friend has one in 45-90. I shot it at 200 yards and I was surprised at the accuracy.
Doug
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 21:10
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Did you order that one....or did you just find it?   

I found it on the rack at their shop.  I told them I wanted it since it had all the main features I wanted, and asked them to put the other sites on.  In the two days after I bought it, they got 15 calls of people wanting it.  If you watch on their website you can find rifles as long as you don't want engraving, extra fancy wood, or custom metal work.

Most guys roll their own loads for the Shilohs.  The 45/70 is really the only one you can run regular factory ammo in.  A lot of guys say 500+ gr bullets at slower speeds.  Most run a 525 to 535 gr at 1200 to 1300 fps.  

I have some 430 gr I was using in the marlin I may try in it for now.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 21:11
That is neat. Very jealous here.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2015 at 08:29
Super sweet rifle. Now, that is quality! Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2015 at 10:56
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Very nice. Drew!!!! Shiloh Sharps rifles are uber nice! I also really like the Dakota Little Sharps too. I've had a bit of a Sharps itch that hasn't gotten scratched yet.

If you ever shot one of these that itch would turn to a full tilt disease.  I haven't shot this one yet, but got to shoot others at the quigley match, and they are great to shoot and super accurate for big bore rifles.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2015 at 10:40
When you said jealous, I thought, "yeah, right", but then I opened the page. Yep, I'm jealous.
I've always wanted 45-110 Sharps, but would be happy with a 45-90 or 100, and even the 40 calibers. It would just have to be a OMG this is a heavy rifle "Sharps".
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2015 at 11:59
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

If you ever shot one of these that itch would turn to a full tilt disease.  I haven't shot this one yet, but got to shoot others at the quigley match, and they are great to shoot and super accurate for big bore rifles.

Oh, I know. My problem is, I have way too many itches already!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2015 at 13:44
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

When you said jealous, I thought, "yeah, right", but then I opened the page. Yep, I'm jealous.
I've always wanted 45-110 Sharps, but would be happy with a 45-90 or 100, and even the 40 calibers. It would just have to be a OMG this is a heavy rifle "Sharps".

Those 45/110s kick like a mule. Of course so does my guide gun with magnum rounds.

This Sharps weighs it right at 12 lbs and is as perfectly balanced as I can imagine.  I went with the 45/70 so I could still shoot smokeless powder.  Yes, black is more fun, but is darn messy.

I am leaning towards a 525 to 535 gr bullet right now.  Haven't decided on a powder.  I happen to have some 430 gr loads at both 1550 fps and 1900 fps to try out and see if the rifle likes them.  Although they say the sharps will handle the pressures of a Ruger #1, I am a little hesitant to risk it on such an expensive rifle.  I think staying with the standard pressure rounds at 1550 for now might be the ticket till I load my own.  Besides, they kick less that way.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2015 at 14:21
The first time I shot the 1886 Winchester/Browning carbine off a bench I realized it really kicks with that steel butt plate. That's when I started rethinking the 45-110, and even thought a .40 cal. might be a good substitute, but I just couldn't turn down the 110 if I had the chance.

The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association host a 1,000yd black powder cartridge shoot at Camp Atterbury once a year. They say 45-70 is the most used cartridge there.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2015 at 16:24
Why. Would. Anyone. Be. Jealous? I'm going to have to stop in there next time I'm through Big Timber.
Reaction time is a factor...
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2015 at 08:24
Beautiful.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2015 at 18:20
Tomorrow, she will get tested!

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic