OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VXR vs VX3 pseudo-test results

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VXR vs VX3 pseudo-test results
    Posted: July/21/2015 at 08:36
I have new VXR and VX3 scopes here to sort-of test out today. I have the 2-7x #4 illuminated and a 1.75-6x heavy duplex. I don't do much in the way of a test, but I thought I'd share and maybe get some insight.

Out of the box, the VXR is a nicer looking and way cooler piece. Other than feeling heavier, I liked it much more at first blush.

This morning I went out to set the oculars to my eye and check to see how the scopes handle having more light come in the back than the front. Leupolds have improved in this regard over the years, but I still got the gold reticle and a dimmed image. The FireDot worked better in that instance.

The other thing I looked at FOV at close range. The 1.9x VX3 has sufficient FOV. The 2.5x VXR, not so much but I could probably get by with it. 

I went out and hung a picture of a moose in the woods. I will see if I can "kill it" and  view obstructing twigs, etc. at thirty minutes after sunset this evening.

Now for a question. How is it that I stored and used both scopes in the same conditions, side by side, and the VXR fogged externally while the VX3 was clear as a bell?
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 09:44
The person who answered the phone at Leupold this morning thinks the difference in external fogging  was happenstance. He said there is little difference between the VXR and VX3 other than scratch resistance and "maybe a little" difference in light transmission. He supposed none of the difference affects external fogging.

I have no intention of devising a test or even making a claim about differences in fogging resistance of two coatings that are supposedly not designed to resist fogging. Just passing the info. along!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 10:25
Thanks for the review. I've witnessed the fog/no fog on scopes sitting side by side before too.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 21:23
Astigmatism decided it. They almost made it to 1/2 hour after sunset in the woods. The VXR became un-aim-able first due flaring out. This is probably in part due to my astigmatism. The dot became misshapen to my eye and the area around the dot became less clear than the outer field of view. Considering the better clarity, brightness of the outer image and thickness of the outer reticle, the VX-R is likely more capable than I found it, so to speak. I had my wife look at it later and she did not have the problem. She was looking around our unlit front yard maybe 45 minutes to an hour after sunset. I have severe astigmatism. She does not. I did not expect this problem because I have no trouble using good quality red dot sights.

The VX-3 was useable up until maybe a minute shy of thirty after. I could aim on the picture of the moose and make out small twigs and discern the features of pine bark. This all in the woods. I'm out in the country with no neighbors visible from my house, etc.  After thirty minutes I stepped out of the woods into a power line and had no trouble looking a couple hundred yards down. I did not bother waiting until an hour after, because we can't shoot that late here.

I weighed them.
VX-3 1.75-6x 10.95oz
VX-R 2-7x 13.05oz

So, being lighter and more useful to me, I'm keeping the VX-3. I'd like it more if it were a true 1.5-6x or even a true 2-7x, but this is Leupold I'm dealing with here. FOV is almost a four letter word with them.

Also, I compared a Weaver Super Slam with 40mm objective just to see. The Leupolds with smaller objectives were at least as good; maybe better. It was hard to tell because the standard duplex in the Weaver washed out before the others.

That's all I got. Not really a test, but it does show how important it is to personally check out scopes to see which is best for you. I started eying the Swaro, but it was eliminated just looking around the store. I expected the VX-R to win out, but it did not work with my eyes. Go figure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 01:58
Interesting review. Much appreciated and I hope you will keep us updated. 
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 05:36
Thanks!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 07:21
Since everybody's eyes are different, hands on comparison is truly the best way to select optics.
The problem is most everybody doesn't have the ability to side by side compare several competitive scopes in the proper environment!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 08:08
Thanks for your posting your observations, Urban.

I really like the little 1.75-6X32 VX-3. It's a great little compact, lightweight scope that's a great match for lightweight, trim hunting rifles in environments where you don't expect to need to shoot across zip codes. I like variable scopes in this general power range, but it seems I'm among the "old school" minority in my scope preferences these days.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 10:17

you ol fossil you... Smile

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 10:42
I prefer "vintage," Bud.

Then again, I can always draw comfort in the knowledge that no matter how old I get, I will still always be younger than Ed and you!Big Grin
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 10:42
Laugh
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 10:47
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

...I can always draw comfort in the knowledge that no matter how old I get, I will still always be younger than Ed and you!Big Grin

...and Skip.
Ted

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 10:49
Hey!!!!  I resemble that!!!!

Now show some respect! Ouch and pass the geritol.
--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 11:09

...I can always draw comfort in the knowledge that no matter how old I get, I will still always be younger than Ed and you!Big Grin

...and Skip.

I thought I was under the radar that time. Guess not.

Cool

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 18:23
Ping.............Ping...........Ping.......Pong........Ping....Pong ......Ping.Pong
Found you with SONAR.  Excellent
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 20:17
almost bedtime!

--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 20:33
Nite nite, I'm gonna try to watch the Eldora race.

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2015 at 05:19

I prefer "vintage," Bud.

Then again, I can always draw comfort in the knowledge that no matter how old I get, I will still always be younger than Ed and you!Big Grin

Visit the Ed Show

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2015 at 06:59
Originally posted by urbaneruralite urbaneruralite wrote:

Astigmatism decided it. They almost made it to 1/2 hour after sunset in the woods. The VXR became un-aim-able first due flaring out. This is probably in part due to my astigmatism. The dot became misshapen to my eye and the area around the dot became less clear than the outer field of view. Considering the better clarity, brightness of the outer image and thickness of the outer reticle, the VX-R is likely more capable than I found it, so to speak. I had my wife look at it later and she did not have the problem. She was looking around our unlit front yard maybe 45 minutes to an hour after sunset. I have severe astigmatism. She does not. I did not expect this problem because I have no trouble using good quality red dot sights.

I wonder if the VX-R might have won out, if not for your astigmatism. I'm sure you turned the brightness down to almost off during your testing? 

If memory serves me, (I'm a few years more "vintage" than Rifledude), the VX-R has VX-2ish glass, which theoretically makes it inferior to the VX-3?? 

The wild card for the VX-R is the Firedot reticle, which by most accounts is VERY usable. I love it. It's a great illumination device. 
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2015 at 15:04
Yeah, I turned it all the way down. I have the kind of eyes that cause the doctor to call everyone in for a look, because they're not likely to ever see any others quite that bad. I feel sure astigmatism was a factor. I know it is with a cheaper red dot sight. I have to go for the good ones and ones that turn down for night vision.

I was surprised by what the Leupold rep. said about VX-R not being much different from VX-3. Beats me. I didn't notice a big difference, but I had no VX-2 to compare. Only regret I have is I didn't get a Leica ER 5 to check out, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic